JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Busy! Busy! Busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Brilliant!

I wonder if it's worth more of us UK fans sending letters / emails to Channel 4? I guess there'd need to be a good number of us for a letter writing campaign to be taken seriously. In short, we need to be organised!
Not sure about that. The show hasn't been on C4 in years and, in fact, has had two other homes since then, having been shown on Bravo and, most recently, on FX, implying that C4 no longer hold the rights to UK broadcast of the show.

Maybe I am missing something, but what would be the point of writing to them?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
Not sure about that. The show hasn't been on C4 in years and, in fact, has had two other homes since then, having been shown on Bravo and, most recently, on FX, implying that C4 no longer hold the rights to UK broadcast of the show.

Hmm. Then we are clearly operating on out of date information. Plus we'd need numbers into the thousands to make any kind of impact with a letter writing campaign. I do wonder if we're flogging a dead horse here.

Kosh: Good!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
...implying that C4 no longer hold the rights to UK broadcast of the show.

I'm asking them if they still have the rights. It can't hurt to try. This is as much about finding info' as it is about raising awareness.

Quote:
Hmm. Then we are clearly operating on out of date information.
Hopefully this'll gather us some up-too-date info'.

Quote:
I do wonder if we're flogging a dead horse here.
Never give up, bro'! To quote G'Kar, "We live for the one, we die for the one... All that!"

Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 AM

Something cool happened while the forums were under Shadow influence. The #FreeBabylon5 Network on YouTube has begun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jenny
"This is the first video from the #FreeBabylon5 Network.

Become part of the avalanche! Make your own video. Tag it FreeBabylon5, Babylon 5 and Warner Bros. Entertainment. Email your video link to FreeBabylon5@gmail.com and we will help you spread the message. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehVTBdJwig
and the second came soon after from Ranger Auddie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T76o-...ature=youtu.be

Who's going to be next to submit their Voice of Free Babylon 5??

Jan
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 AM
Confirmed User

Wow! Nice!

By the way, no mail yet..., it'll probably take a week or more if they do decide to reply.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Confirmed User

Any ideas on how we can spread the word across the web more? I noticed the Facebook LIKES have slowed down.

I hope we see more videos from folks. I would make one, but that might hurt the cause.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:39 PM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post

I hope we see more videos from folks. I would make one, but that might hurt the cause.
Same goes for me . . .

If someone else would do the talking, that could be another matter. I feel awful in front of a camera, much better behind it

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonlurker View Post
Same goes for me . . .

If someone else would do the talking, that could be another matter. I feel awful in front of a camera, much better behind it
Maybe instead, you could make...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan View Post
...a video-clip set to B5 music and showing how cool the series is, spanning Sinclair, Sheridan, Lochley, Gideon, and even David Martell, might be a good idea, too.
What do ya reckon?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Seeker of Truth & Wisdom,

Send a message via AIM to Ranger 6 and 7/8
Well, Jan has really shouldered the burden here. While i may not be the best in front of the camera, perhaps some of us who don't mind can make the vids sharing the thoughts from those of you who are less comfortable.
What do you think Joe and Jan?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM

I think anybody's who's comfortable in front of a camera should definitely do it. It would be a shame to have a 'network' with only two videos, wouldn't it?

Jan
Old 09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Seeker of Truth & Wisdom,

Send a message via AIM to Ranger 6 and 7/8
I'll work on mine this weekend. Anyone who wants me to include their thoughts in my vid, PM me what you want me to say for you and how you want to be identified. I'd at least like to say your location to emphasize how global the fanbase is.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Maybe instead, you could make...

Originally Posted by Sinclair's Fan
...a video-clip set to B5 music and showing how cool the series is, spanning Sinclair, Sheridan, Lochley, Gideon, and even David Martell, might be a good idea, too.

All the contributions so far are great, but I think this approach may be the most appealing for potential new converts and networks. I am thinking along the lines of something like the video shown at Phoenix Con to celebrate the anniversary.

I’d suggest a tightly edited sequence of clips, interspersed with quotes from respected print and online publications praising the show. If there are any such quotes from ‘celebrity’ fans, they should be in there too. I think we need to push how unique B5 was. We need something that 'sells' the show, quoting high profile sources. We should hammer home any facts that serve to illustrate how popular the show was / is amongst fans. (DVD sales figures for instance?)

This may have more credibility to it for potential networks, and could serve as a flagship presentation for #FreeBabylon5 that sums up why networks NEED B5 on their channel. We could ask fans to like / share and comment on the video if they agree. If we can get it to trend on Youtube that would really be something.

Was it DaveNarn that was highly adept at video editing? Hint Hint…

We could maybe feed in good quotes in this thread to be included. Hell, we could even solicit quotes from geek celebrities explaining why they love B5. Any high profile folks really, maybe via twitter. I'm thinking Joss Whedon, etc... Perhaps a long shot but worth a try.

Last edited by Ubik; 09-17-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:13 AM
Confirmed User

Great stuff, Ubik!

Quote:
(From channel4.com 's FAQ page...)

The Channel 4 Headquarters building is at 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX
However, if you want to comment or enquire about a programme by letter, please write to Channel 4 Enquiries, PO Box 1058, Belfast BT1 9DU

(...there's an online enquiry form too, if preferred.)
Okay, a reply from Channel 4 in the UK has just arrived..., took just about a week....

Hmmm. Much as I thought. It's one of those "Thanks, but we have no plans to show this right now" letters. However, it does say that they'll log the information I've sent them, (presumably regarding #FreeBabylon5) with their program planners for future reference.

So..., what if they suddenly received a bunch more letters? Wouldn't they notice a trend forming...?

Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 09-17-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: I spulled it rong.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Great stuff, Ubik!

Okay, a reply from Channel 4 in the UK has just arrived..., took just about a week....

Hmmm. Much as I thought. It's one of those 'Thanks, but we have no plans to show this right now' letters. However, it does say that they'll log the information I've sent them, (presumably regarding #FreeBabylon5) with their program planners for future reference.

So..., what if they suddenly received a bunch more letters? Wouldn't thet notice a trend forming...?

My only worry is that C4 showed their B5 re-runs in a graveyard slot... on a Sunday at 0200 hours (i.e. actually the early hours of Monday). This might capture the bleary eyed student demographic, but not much more!

Come to think of it though, I introduced three of my then housemates to the show and they all now own the DVD box sets.

We'd need to muster big numbers for any letter writing campaign to be successful. Perhaps this can be done with via the facebook group when it reaches critical mass.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 AM
Confirmed User

Yep, I think it's plausible, and worth trying. Even if B5 gets a horrible time-slot, at least it'd be on somewhere, and might go towards helping JMS out. Then again, 'Charmed' is on E4 during the early evening. I know it's not the same as B5, but how many telly-bosses know the difference between sci-fi and fantasy anyway? Ha! Maybe we'll get lucky and get as good a spot.

That reminds me; if anyone does decide to write, I'd suggest keeping it polite, factual (show some figures!), and not confrontational or demanding; if they're in a position to help us, we shouldn't burn that bridge by using an ICBM to swat a fly, when a few gentle words would've done it.

If you wanna write..., then GOOD LUCK! It can't hurt.

Last edited by Sinclair's Fan; 09-17-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: