JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > General Discussions

Old 05-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by frulad View Post
Ooohhh. "The Brave And The Bold."Basically a book with no set cast, so he can run amuck through the whole DCU. Hot-cha!
I've been following the Brave and Bold title since it started back up, and so far it's been fantastic. The format of the book thus far has been bringing a bunch of unconnected characters into an over arcing story, about 12 issues long. Sounds right up JMS' alley.

Looking forwarrd to your detailed synopsis Jan. And thanks for the report.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Rampantly Irresponsible

Newsarama had this blip-

Quote:
Books like Straczynski's upcoming Brave and the Bold were pointed out as fulfilling that purpose. Then, despite Sadler's attempts to jokingly end the panel, Straczynski went down the list of some of his planned team-ups for the book such as Batman and Spectre, Lex Luthor and Swamp Thing, Deadman and Wonder Woman, Flash (Barry Allen) and the Blackhawks, Constantine and Eclipso, Doom Patrol and the Legion of Super-Heroes, Two-Face and Hawk and Dove, Challengers of the Unknown and the Metal Men and, the audience's favorite, the Legion of Substitute Heroes and the Inferior Five.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Goddess of Anxiousness

I went to the convention today and met our illustrious Jan. (She is so sweet in person!) After JMS's panel I went to his table to ask about what he would have done with Spidey if he had been able to tell his story. The line was very long and I had my 8 year old daughter with me, so I saw Jan and asked if she would talk to JMS for me. My little girl had been so patient and wonderful sitting through JMS panel that I couldn't make her wait in line. Jan said I could have her spot, since she wasn't getting anything signed, but I would have to write this up for the board. Her exact words: "You're here, I'm not the only one doing the reporting!" So, the answer I got was that he would have kept Spidey married and would not have set up the false choice. I would much rather have seen that story. So, I shook his hand and thanked him because I have enjoyed so much of his work. I had a great day.

During the panel my daughter asked JMS the question no writer wants to hear, but every one gets many times over. "Where do you get your ideas?" After laying his head on the table he gave her a very nice, serious answer, then went on to watch his language for the rest of the session to be careful of her delicate little ears. He was wonderful. I'm sure Jan will catch up with the rest of the panel. I'm obviously not as good a reporter as she is. One thing she did tell me is that he won't have anything to do with the new script books, other than giving his permission, but 3 are planned. OK, back to your regularly scheduled news cast.

Last edited by Karen; 05-11-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Okay, I'm just back to the hotel from the con and I'm still reviewing the recording here's what I've got:

It's now official: JMS is adapting the Lensman saga for Ron Howard and they're looking at possibly making it a three film series.

He's also rewritten an entire script for the Wachowski brothers in 60 hours. (He didn't mention the name but this must be "Ninja Assassin").

He's sold a spec script to Tom Cruise.

He's sold a spec script to Universal called "Flickering Light".

There's another project for Wolfgang Peterson called "The Grays" based on the books by Whitley Strieber.

One of the announcements he hopes to make in the next few weeks is a for a feature film that's "near and dear to the heart of every person in the room".

Regarding more Lost Tales, at the moment two divisions of WB seem to be 'discussing' wanting a feature film or more Lost Tales but come to an agreement and haven't gotten to the point of guaranteeing JMS total creative control in the case of a feature film. The budget for the first disk was only 2 million dollars.

He's currently adapting "Midnight Nation" as a screenplay and expects to have it ready around August or September.

Another big producer is interested in "Dream Police" and "Rising Stars".

He's got two projects coming from Image. One I missed the title of, the other is called "Final Justice". They'll be coming from Image probably in the fall.

I asked his reaction to "Changeling" being chosen to compete at the Cannes Film Festival and he brought everybody up to speed on that. He's flying out next Sunday to be there for the competition and seems stunned and pleased just at the honor of the film being chosen but doesn't have any idea how it'll do.

I did get to meet Karen and her daughter Mattie (hope I spelled that right) and we had a nice time talking before JMS' panel and in the autograph line. Mattie got the honor of asking where JMS got his ideas. Poor thing didn't understand why the whole room burst into laughter but I hope that she somehow remembers what JMS said about holding onto dreams.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Goddess of Anxiousness

I explained why everyone laughed and I think she understood that it wasn't directed at her, but I'm not sure she understood that the question has been asked so many times and it's a difficult concept to try to explain. She came away from the convention with a very positive view of it and wants to go back again next year.

That is the way to spell Mattie. She will be very happy, since most people spell it with d's instead of t's.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 AM
Busy! Busy! Busy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Regarding more Lost Tales, at the moment two divisions of WB seem to be 'discussing' wanting a feature film or more Lost Tales but come to an agreement and haven't gotten to the point of guaranteeing JMS total creative control in the case of a feature film. The budget for the first disk was only 2 million dollars.
Really surprised at that budget figure, since Vol14 of the script books confirms that as the budget for In The Beginning (whilst also making the point that ST had that per episode in some cases), which was made 10/11 years ago now. No wonder there wasn't the budget to spring for lots of extras to make the station look bustling and lived in.

On the positive side, I guess that means WB don't have to sell that many to get a decent profit from it!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Confirmed User

In retrospect that just makes it amazing how good Voices In The Dark looked.

On the other hand, my frustration at WB for hampering him with a cautious shoe-string budget once again would be massively alleviated if they go for a B5 feature film with JMS having full creative control. At this point seeing the station on the big screen and hearing Franke's score and the actors voices in surround sound would leave me in a position to die happy.
Failing that, more Lost Tales would be fine with me as well, though they really should pony up some more cash.

Pleasing to hear of his other successes selling scripts, and I'd be interested to see his adaptation of Midnight Nation. Guess I should get around to reading the Lensman books some time.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Confirmed User

I don't think 'budget' and 'creative control' are related in this case. The budget issue comes from the fact that JMS and Co. have to keep proving the value of B5 as a money-making entity, so just because the series was financially viable, it didn't mean the DVD would make money. Now that they've proved the DVD is a viable entity, JMS has to do it all over again with a feature film, assuming that this is indeed the big news we're talking about Ironically, I think it's a non-issue, because at this point probably 50% or more of a feature's revenues come through DVD, so as long as the budget is reasonable, it would be really difficult to make money on the back end.

As for creative control, there are usually just two situations in which a studio will relinquish creative control. One is if the writer/director/producer is so big, such as a Spielberg or Lucas that you can't get them any other way. The second situation is if the project in question is so marginal that it's flying far under the studio radar. I suspect that was the situation on the original B5. Once the series had established itself as a success, the production model had already been established and it ws basically too late for WB executives to worm their way in. But once JMS had moved over to TNT for Crusade, you'll notice the executives wasted no time in throwing in their two cent's worth at every opportunity.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Confirmed User

Send a message via AIM to *Starstuff*
The other thing to keep in mind is (and sorry should I have posted that somewhere else already): when WB would really want a feature film but not grant JMS full creative freedom, would the actors really come back? Peter Jurasik said while at FedCon that he doesn't really see himself going back to Londo. The only thing that would make him do it would be for JMS, including the fact that JMS would have to write the script etc.

Anyway, I think I should check out those Lensman books as well and the other stuff because I have no idea what this is all about.
But thanks to you Karen and Jan for keeping us updated
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Confirmed User

But then it would be pretty unusual (and strange) for a studio to sign away all creative control over an investment as big as a science fiction movie.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Sleeping In Light

Thanks for the update. That is a crazy amount of scripts going out to big names. No wonder JMS never posts anymore...

the $2 mil number is crazy. I still loved TLT and thought it was extremely well done. It didn't feel low budget to me at all. I just want more darnit. And at this speed of "negotiating", we're not going to get very many.

By the way, if my math's right...at a budget of $2 mil, there had to have been 200,000 discs sold to break even ($10 wholesale). That sound about right? Wish I knew the figure of how many sold.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Confirmed User

The 2 million sounds about right to me, to be honest. It matches the back-of-the-napkin calculations I made last year, based on the effects budget JMS mentioned and the shooting schedule. The effects budget was over a million, but since the way they shot it the effects budget in effect was the effects plus the set budget. And with the minimal crew and cast, they can't have spend that much in the nine shooting days.

In the post I linked you can however see someone mentioning the fact that WB Premiere uses budgets starting at 3.5 million for their direct-to-DVD movies. It does make you wonder what TLT could with that kind of budget for 90 minutes.

As for:
Quote:
One of the announcements he hopes to make in the next few weeks is a for a feature film that's "near and dear to the heart of every person in the room".
Anyone any idea what that could be? Have been racking my brain, and I can't really come up with anything too plausible sounding. Making an educated guess of the make-up of the room, I figure it is a pretty well regarded geek property that is apparently pretty universally loved.

Only thing I can up with is the new Paramount adaptation of Dune, attached to director Peter Berg, but not any writers yet at the time they announced it in March.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
mandragora

Methinx the Lensmen books are out of print currently, at least in our country, @Starstuff.

Quote:
Anyone any idea what that could be? Have been racking my brain, and I can't really come up with anything too plausible sounding. Making an educated guess of the make-up of the room, I figure it is a pretty well regarded geek property that is apparently pretty universally loved.
My guess would be "forbidden planet".

On another note, remember the mysterious TV project with two mega-filmmakers JMS mentioned at the end of last year? I recently accidentally stumbled on a post in another forum by a lady who's working for Fox - she mentioned she'd just read a script for a pilot and two episodes turned in by the Wachowski's and JMS, titled Sense8, and wrote that it was "really cool stuff", but unfortunately Fox passed on it for it being "too weird". So I think that might be it.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Confirmed User

Send a message via AIM to *Starstuff*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandragora View Post
Methinx the Lensmen books are out of print currently, at least in our country, @Starstuff.
That's just my luck, figures I guess I'll just have to bug my colleagues who're traveling to the US on a regular basis or ask my friends from Michigan to get me copies.

AFTER my exams ... I get distracted way too easily
Old 05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Confirmed User

Yeah, I've been trying to get my hands on the Lensman books for a while (before a possible adaptation was announced) and pretty sure they're out of print. So second-hand/eBay or stores that have big stocks.

And that Sense8 thing sounds really interesting, and matches JMS's hints about what his partners in crime pretty well. I don't suppose you still have a link to the original post, Mandragora?

edit: It just occured to me that it would have one hell of an unpronounceable creator credit though... Wachowski and Straczynski.

Last edited by Shabaz; 05-12-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: