JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 12:29 PM

Hello, Kimball, and welcome.

JMS doesn't post here, I'm afraid, and as far as we know he doesn't read here, either. The best way to ask him a question is on the moderated newsgroup rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated You can find instructions on how to access it here in the FAQ.

One thing I can tell you is that JMS mentioned that the plans were to do more than one (three I think?) movie. I can't exactly recall where right now. Anybody else remember and can help?

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 11-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Confirmed User

Well I think jms hinted, like was discussed earlier, that he would begin with "Galactic Patrol", because he's focusing on the Kimball Kinnison story. And yeah I think the plan is for a trilogy. We don't know how or if the stories from the books will be combined.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

The plan was to do the first Lensman film and then shoot two more back-to-back if the first one's successful. Pretty much what was done with The Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:24 PM
sugar99

I would have to agree with the "first nova" title given to E.E. Smith Ph.D.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Confirmed User

Zwilnick

I've read the Lensman books periodically since I was in college. I get a big kick out of them.

I will be interested in seeing the movie when it comes out. However, I would also like to see a movie with the attitudes and some of the dialog from the books. It would make the movie really funny without actually attempting to.

Last edited by Zwilnick; 04-20-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM
simpleviolet

This was really emotive for me... I've been looking for that movie for years and to have found the intro is great.
Thanks for sharing it.
And remember this was great story.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Confirmed User

Talking Update or Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Hello everyone,

I would have to agree with the "first nova" title given to E.E. Smith Ph.D. Although some of the technology and concepts are now archaic and obsolete (such as slide rules and the lack of computers) for the time in which these stories were printed, Dr. Smith was on the razors edge. I purchased "First Lensman" a few weeks ago from iTunes. I have listened through half of it and I'm amazed as to the foundation that Dr. Smith setup for his space opera. Albeit that this was not the first book written, it does however give the over view needed to get the rest aligned in your mind...at least in my opinion.

So much of it reminds me of all three sci-fi series (Babylon 5, Star Wars, and Star Trek). As an example of this, consider the giving of the lens by Mentor to each person and them "seeing" what was the most beneficial to them. Kosh? You also have a lot of political intrigue going on and pirates with the contraband that need to be stopped. Even the search for the lensmen was akin to the looking for the "first ones" or Qui-Gon Jinn looking for padawons to training. Shades of the forming of the league of non-aligned worlds and parallels of the AnlaƆshok come to mind. Arisians vs. Eddorians or Vorlons vs. Shadows or Jedi vs. Sith...read First Lensman; you won't regret it.
Hi All A Newbie here. (First off I Apologise in advance for bad spelling, My spellcheck won't connect)
I will have to agree with Mentor about The archaic and obsolete Tech,Mech
And Concepts. Although Doc Smith did the Irrisistable Force And Impenatrable
Shield thing to death. He was dealing with a populous Who where still getting used to the Idea of Cars Air Travel and weapons escalation gone rampant. Energy Weapons and Shields ETC. were Alien concepts in the 30's We take theses concepts in stride. But then......But I digress.
I also enjoy listening to The Lensman Series on audiobook. They're in my portable Hard drive. I love the Mode of Speech Employed in the books. as well as the fiber of the characters. I also thoroughly enjoy listening to the John Carter of Mars Series for the same reason. But the Language will be adapted as well as the "Futuristic" Tech from our point of view. Certainly there will be no diesel engines as an apu for the ships. Etc.
But the story is excelent. I think there should be some time devoted to explain the lineage of the Kinnison/Sams line, and the history behind the creation of the Galactic Patrol. To include the building and destruction of the Previous empires By the Ariesians and the Eddorians . Ie: The fall of Atlantis And Rome Where the Kinnison Line was involved. It could be a narrated Montauge. But to jump in at the graduation cerimony of K. Kinnison I think would be too abrupt. I mean the concept of starting a story in the middle has been done of course. But the prequels didnt fare too well.
I suppose when the Commandant gives his speech to the newly Graduated Class can be expanded a bit, but He wouldn't know of things outlined in the first book. I would really like to see the sequince of events in 19...when?
where WWIII is Fought by the Techno's with A Kinnison Forebearer.
That's My 10c. worth.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Confirmed User

Here are some JMS quotes from the Babylon Podcast, relating to Lensman. I don't think I heard everything right, so please someone correct the mistakes, especially someone who knows more about Lensman..

Quote:
Q: What do I have to do to get you to drop everything you are doing and get the Lensman screenplay finished?

JMS: Well, the second draft is in. Everyone is very happy with it, and we'll now see where that goes. But I'm very pleased with it, I think it really does create that world and what's cool about it is all the character stuff that's in there now. It's just the sheer scope and scale of it, which is what the Doc Smith books were always about to me to a large extent; the scale was insane. We found ways to really dramatize that.

Case in point, this is a very small example from the script, take this as being emblematic of the scale of the whole thing: you've got these two fleets battling it out, you've seen it a hundred times before. But now, within that massive fleet battle you have two ships locked on with gravity (lazers? landsets? lances?) firing at each other, they're linked together like scorpions in a bottle tied with a string, by the gravity beams. Inside that, you have the crew of one ship in EVA suits with armor coming out to try and board the other ship. They send their people out to stop them, so we have hand-to-hand combat between two..

Q: Space-axes and all that? Oh wow.

JMS: Yeah, it's just friggin' huge. We're looking to do new things with effects, and of course with Ron Howard involved it's always going to be character-oriented, so we combine what you can do with effects these days with a really strong character story. I think it's pretty cool.
So did he say "gravity lances", or what is it?

Last edited by vakie; 06-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Confirmed User

So, anyone? Are there "gravity lenses" in Lensman, or what is it..?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakie View Post
So, anyone? Are there "gravity lenses" in Lensman, or what is it..?
I think JMS is refering to Tractor beams. Remember when the ships would do battle in the "free" inertialess condition . they would lock on with tractors and pressors. then duke it out with everything they had.
I wonder what the vessels will look like. When they were described as tear dropped shapped I came up with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weapon ports.JPG (77.4 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg Weapon ports grey.jpg (84.6 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by dylanhunt; 08-06-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 AM
MithaileBaiker

Maybe he has been optioned, but like most books and scripts to get a great option, it will never become a film because the company that bought it did to them to deny their competition for make a huge success.

Last edited by MithaileBaiker; 07-09-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:33 AM

Hi, MithaileBaiker, and welcome.

While it's true that the vast majority of scripts don't get made, I think that most times the an option is taken in order for a studio to explore whether or not to make a film or not. It's more serious when they assign the script to be written, I think. At that point there are definitely people who want to make the movie. But like some birds and small children, the Hollywood set is attracted to whatever's bright and shiney and so many projects die just because the execs who were interested have either gone to a different company or have moved on to the next shiney project.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM

This is sort of anti-news but for those wondering about the "Lensman" movie, JMS answered a question about it in one of the 'Before Watchmen' threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
...Universal is sitting on Lensman because they're not sure the audience/brand recognition is big enough. I think the rights may actually have expired by this point.
Guess that means we probably won't be seeing that cool battle that JMS described.

Jan
Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
This is sort of anti-news but for those wondering about the "Lensman" movie, JMS answered a question about it in one of the 'Before Watchmen' threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
...Universal is sitting on Lensman because they're not sure the audience/brand recognition is big enough. I think the rights may actually have expired by this point.
Guess that means we probably won't be seeing that cool battle that JMS described.

Jan
It is news like this make me wish I had the money to totally bankroll ALL of JMS's projects.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post

Jan
It's probably because of the John Carter numbers. That made them tentative about the whole resurrecting classic sci fi brands. Someone needs to tell Universal it's just because of horrible marketing in the US! John Carter has done exceptional overseas!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: