JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Confirmed User

Sun's Martial Arts

I am loving Sun's character and how it is developing! And I'm loving her fighting style. Does anyone out there know what type of martial art style Bae Doona is using in her fight scenes?
Old 06-15-2015, 01:02 AM
Confirmed User

She is using Hollywood Fu, of course. A lot of it is utterly nonsense. :-)

I'll have to rewatch more carefully but I think they tried to make it look Korean. To me it looked like it had too much MMA/ Thai boxing / Sanshou elements to really come across as traditional Korean, but to be fair, I have been doing mostly Chinese and Japanese martial arts in the last 20 years. I am less familiar with Korean arts.

I do recall there is one scene where Sun is in a sort of horse-riding stance, supposedly practicing a form. If there's enough there to identify the form, you might be able to lock down her style to a specific art, but...does it really matter?

EDIT: I looked at some of Sun's fight scenes to confirm my gut instinct...so, if I had to guess -- Hapkido.
Compare her fights to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760JCpYJMVk

Last edited by spelldazer; 06-15-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:45 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonsinokes View Post
I am loving Sun's character and how it is developing! And I'm loving her fighting style. Does anyone out there know what type of martial art style Bae Doona is using in her fight scenes?
Bae Doona has a Facebook page. You may wish to ask your question there.
https://www.facebook.com/DoonaBaePage
Old 06-15-2015, 05:11 AM
Confirmed User

Thanks. Yes I was thinking hapkido as well with maybe elements of tang soo do? I realize it was choreographed for the movie, but Doona has studied martial arts her entire life. I'm just not familiar with the Korean lineage. I was just curious. Maybe I'll check out her Facebook page. Thanks for the good idea...
Old 06-15-2015, 05:42 AM

I'm extremely ignorant of any and all martial arts but I wondered if kickboxing requires any particular discipline or if it's a 'whatever works' format. I was also a little thrown that Sun seemed as comfortable with weapons as without. Is that common?

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 AM
Confirmed User

@Jan - Kickboxing is a rather generic term that used to stand for Thai Boxing (also, a somewhat generic term) and these days seems to be used interchangeably with MMA (mixed martial arts). It is not street fighting and definitely something you learn through training if you want to be good at it and not destroy your body in the process of learning.*

Many martial arts, Asian in particular, still include fighting with/against knives/swords/what-have-you as part of the school's core teachings. You can see this in the Hapkido video I linked (there is some knife simulations towards the end) and this is one reason I suggested Hapkido over Tang Soo Do / traditional Tae Kwon Do. That being said, I really don't feel qualified to say anything intelligent about what the actress may or may not have studied, and let's keep in mind that whatever style we are seeing in the show may very well be influenced by the style of fighting the choreographer was familiar with or what the directors thought would look best on film.

*I am not entirely sure that the writers understand what fighting like Sun requires (should require?) from the host body on a physiological level. There are certain things you can get away with on adrenaline but I'm having a hard time buying into some of the fighting because someone who has had no physical prep will get their bones shattered and ligaments torn if a fighting pro took over their body and used it like his/her own. This being a JMS show, I'm willing to cut them some slack, but just a bit. ;-)
Old 06-15-2015, 07:04 AM

Thanks. Yes, I'd thought about that when Nomi was captured. Will using Sun's techniques I might allow since he's in great shape but it's not something that Nomi might be able to do without some consequences, I'd think.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelldazer View Post

*I am not entirely sure that the writers understand what fighting like Sun requires (should require?) from the host body on a physiological level. There are certain things you can get away with on adrenaline but I'm having a hard time buying into some of the fighting because someone who has had no physical prep will get their bones shattered and ligaments torn if a fighting pro took over their body and used it like his/her own. This being a JMS show, I'm willing to cut them some slack, but just a bit. ;-)
This exact same thing occured to me too. There'd definitely be damange as the muscles just wouldn't be conditioned in that way. In fact some of the moves might outright just not work because of this.

Kosh: Good!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 AM

It doesn't really bother me much. If I'm willing to accept that clusters of people can become empathic/telepathic, I'm willing to accept a transferable fitness and expertise in martial arts!

Jan
Old 06-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Confirmed User

Hey, it worked in the Matrix!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
It doesn't really bother me much. If I'm willing to accept that clusters of people can become empathic/telepathic, I'm willing to accept a transferable fitness and expertise in martial arts!

Jan
Same here! It's fun to examine the show more deeply though. A shame JMS doens't really do the forums thing anymore.

Kosh: Good!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
A shame JMS doens't really do the forums thing anymore.
I posted a question on his FB page asking if he might start a Q&A thread there but so far no answer.

He does seem to do some short answers on Twitter. Lots about the language 'question' and why it really wouldn't have worked to have 8 people talking different languages and subtitling them all. Or for that matter, the effect of the actors having to learn the other character's language to the extent of knowing when it's their turn to respond. Sure wouldn't have done anything good for their performances, I'm sure!

Jan
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Confirmed User

Yah Joe still responds on twitter and facebook in the same style he used to do on the forums.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Just a fan

Supposedly, yes, it's Hapkido.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...g-tv/75458796/

Quote:
Sun Bak is one of eight characters from around the world who find themselves mentally connected after experiencing a violent vision. They must figure out what happened, and why, as they evade an organization trying to capture them.

Bae began her martial arts training in Korea with Doo-Hung Jung, who designed Sun’s Hapkido variation, which includes a range of attack and defense styles.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Confirmed User

Thanks for this. Nice to see I was on the right track.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: