JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
He's our Centauri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
I'm now very curious to see some of her earlier films. There's a good documentary 'The wonderful horrible life of Leni Riefenstahl', that I'm trying to find online to stream, but thus far it's a bit elusive!
That documentary got a very high rating of 95 percent on the rotten tomatoes review.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wond...i_riefenstahl/

Now I'd like to see it too.

In the 1930s, Leni Riefenstahl was arguably the most important and accomplished female filmmaker of her generation; however, since her primary sponsor was Adolf Hitler, and her best-known work was a hagiographic documentary on the 1934 Nazi Party congress entitled Triumph of the Will, a long and unending debate has raged whether Riefenstahl was a fascist propagandist or a talented artist whose crime was merely doing a job too well. Macht der Bilder: Leni Riefenstahl is an exhaustive two-part look at Riefenstahl's life and work, exploring her early careers as a dancer and actress, reconstructing the making of Triumph of the Will and Olympia (an elaborate and visually striking record of the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games), and her later success as a still photographer, cultural anthropologist, and underwater filmmaker. While the film was made with Riefenstahl's participation, director Ray Muller does not shrink from exploring both sides of the issues of her work with the Nazi regime (she claims to have never been a member of the party and to have been unaware of the genocide of Jews and other "undesirables," while Muller presents evidence that strongly suggests the contrary) even as it celebrates her accomplishments and fierce determination (as a girl she could climb mountains in her bare feet, and in her nineties she was still an avid scuba diver). Macht der Bilder: Leni Riefenstahl was released in the United States under the title The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Confirmed User

Hollywood heads to Germany

No new information as such, but it's mildly amusing to see Joe described as "Hollywood Royalty".
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbo View Post

No new information as such, but it's mildly amusing to see Joe described as "Hollywood Royalty".
When did that happen? It was the cameo role in Thor wasn't it!

Kosh: Good!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks, Belbo!

I'm probably a dead woman. Couldn't resist posting that to JMS' Facebook page.

And...I deleted it. Cause really, they're talking about likely stars for the movie, not JMS himself. Which really puts me on the look-out for any casting news.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Last edited by Jan; 02-14-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Thanks, Belbo!

I'm probably a dead woman. Couldn't resist posting that to JMS' Facebook page.

And...I deleted it. Cause really, they're talking about likely stars for the movie, not JMS himself. Which really puts me on the look-out for any casting news.

Jan
I'm sure Joe would have gotten a laugh out of it!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Reposted it as a question. Who knows, he might give us a smidgeon of info and at least it won't cause him to chase me around the next con we're both attending. Anyway, questions are kind of my specialty.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Reposted it as a question. Who knows, he might give us a smidgeon of info and at least it won't cause him to chase me around the next con we're both attending. Anyway, questions are kind of my specialty.

Jan
So I gather! Would love to attend a B5 related con at some point, more for the panels than getting things signed. Air fare isn't too unreasonable to the USA these days. I might visit NY this year.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
He's our Centauri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbo View Post

Kind of an ironic name - JMS shooting his film at the 'Babelsberg Studios'
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Confirmed User

JMS and Patricia Tallman are in London for the next few days.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Hmm, interesting. Shame he's not doing any signings or anything.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Stay tuned or follow him on Twitter. Last night he tweete:

Quote:
JMichael Straczynski‏@straczynski

As it happens @lukeogroves I'm in London right now for a week or so and thinking of popping in for a signing somewhere or other if I can.

5:53 PM - 16 Feb 13
Jan
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Spam Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
I'm now very curious to see some of her earlier films. There's a good documentary 'The wonderful horrible life of Leni Riefenstahl', that I'm trying to find online to stream, but thus far it's a bit elusive!
Ohhhhh, for once, being a PBS Geek makes me kewl...

I've seen that docu, and definitely recommend it.
It was methodical and respectful of her talent, without glazing over the bad stuff.

If you both contact your local PBS stations, they may be willing to dig it up.
I also have the vague sense that it pops up from time to time, on PBS.

Crazy/sane casting suggestion:
Jennifer Lawrence as Leni.

Not only does she have the intensity of Riefenstah, but she'd raise the profile of the film, and bring in a broader audience (maybe even some accidental Muggles).

I'm definitely looking forward to this.
B5 always had a superb sense of the balancing game we all play between the shadows and the light.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Cheers Chipmunk, but I'm not in the USA... So am looking to find a digital copy for download or streaming.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM

Found on Twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski‏@straczynski
Working overtime to finalize casting on The Flickering Light before Cannes. Much to do but we'll get there.
Cannes is the 15th to 26th of May.

Jan
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM

This is a little disappointing, though the reasoning is absolutely sound. In an interview this past weekend, JMS said that "The Flickering Light' will have to be pushed back for a while.

Quote:
Sadly, due to all the prep work that is going to be needed to launch Sense8 (the first TV series from Studio JMS, written and produced with the Wachowskis for Netflix), it looks like IÆm going to have to push filming on The Flickering Light, my feature directorial debut, to 2015. I hate doing it, but I need to ensure that whatÆs in the works already is given the amount of time necessary to do them correctly.
Jan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: