JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! I mean everyone knows I have to have both right?!
I thought you might be mildly interested...
Old 12-15-2016, 05:57 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Looks good guys! I had a trasured copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia in my youth. This will clearly make lots of people happy. Nice to see an electronic and hard copy version.

Kosh: Good!
Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Friendly Archaeologist

Ooooohhh, that is shiny indeed. But oh my so expensive
Old 12-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Confirmed User

SOLD! June can't come fast enough!!

I wonder if the scripts team included all the extra tidbits of information from the Asked & Answered books, such as information about G'Kar's unseen wife...

I do mean all the "in-universe" stuff as I assume the encyclopedia will be written in a similar style as the Star Trek Encyclopedia: a future history of the B5 universe itself, not production information.

I am so stoked that it is 2016, and we still have new Babylon 5 products to looks forward to; and quality products at that! THANK YOU B5 BOOKS!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:53 AM
Confirmed User

Got a question. The books contain every canon fact in the Babylon 5 universe – as said in the advertising blurb – and at the release date the books contain the same information as the online version, so what type of updating is the online version expected to be getting? I get that it will have quiz’s and name searches, etc, along with the video material that the book can’t include, but if the online encyclopaedia opens with all the canon information already in it….. where’s it going to go from there?

BTW. I could be wrong, but that Marcus Cole entry *appears* to have an error. At the least there’s a bit of potential confusion in the phrasing. His running of the Centauri blockade took place in 2260 – the start of the third season (the end of season 2 was stated as being the end of 2259).
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski
Old 12-22-2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
Got a question. The books contain every canon fact in the Babylon 5 universe – as said in the advertising blurb – and at the release date the books contain the same information as the online version, so what type of updating is the online version expected to be getting? I get that it will have quiz’s and name searches, etc, along with the video material that the book can’t include, but if the online encyclopaedia opens with all the canon information already in it….. where’s it going to go from there?

BTW. I could be wrong, but that Marcus Cole entry *appears* to have an error. At the least there’s a bit of potential confusion in the phrasing. His running of the Centauri blockade took place in 2260 – the start of the third season (the end of season 2 was stated as being the end of 2259).
Help@b5books.com is where to ask questions. At a guess, though, I'd say that new canon would occur if/when there's the B5 feature film and if/when new documentation is found. For instance I *think* that they have access to some production documents and may find more. But as I said, they're the ones to ask. (Yes, I consult with them sometimes but I'm not comfortable being a relay for questions)

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 12-22-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:57 PM
Confirmed User

well i chatted with the lovely lt brandon and due to me moving coutnries etc have gotten on a payment plan, they really are lovely people.
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 12-25-2016, 07:02 PM
The one that was

Quote:
What absolutely horrible timing. Am I the only one who doesn't have a dime thanks to the holiday season?
Nope. I just started work last week after being unemployed for for months. I want to get both, but I don't know how the hell I can afford them right now. Add to the fact that shortly after the new year I'm probably going to be moving so I have that expense to consider as well. Yeesh!
Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 PM
The one that was

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptsTeam View Post
Greetings from Sector 14 (lol!)

We are petitioning the Fan Council for mid-January because the timing really sucks for some people and that was NOT the goal.

Remember though that if you ever miss a debut discount period for any reason and you are an established customer we will ALWAYS grant you the debut price. -- Captain Jaclyn
Capt. I for one appreciate that. Due to 4 month's unemployment and just starting work the week before Xmas/chanukah, I'll be having to take advantage of the generosity sometime after the New Year begins.

I'll e-mail you once I know where I stand.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Confirmed User

As a positive note to end a very negative 2016 (and a final debt of 2016) I placed my order for both on New Year's Eve. (I know, collective sigh of relief. )

* And a 2016 side note - I can honestly say that one of the biggest highlights of my 2016 was hanging out with our very own Jan at Space City Comic Con in Houston, TX. I might even go so far as to say it was the biggest highlight of my 2016. (We had a really great time that might only have been improved if more friends from this community had been there. Then again I wouldn't have gotten as much one on one discussion time with our fearless moderator extraordinaire. )
Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
* And a 2016 side note - I can honestly say that one of the biggest highlights of my 2016 was hanging out with our very own Jan at Space City Comic Con in Houston, TX. I might even go so far as to say it was the biggest highlight of my 2016. (We had a really great time that might only have been improved if more friends from this community had been there. Then again I wouldn't have gotten as much one on one discussion time with our fearless moderator extraordinaire. )
We did have a really nice time. And thanks for the kind words. (No, folks, I'm not paying for his encyclopedia for the endorsement! )
Old 01-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
(No, folks, I'm not paying for his encyclopedia for the endorsement! )
OMG! I wish I'd thought of that!

Does anyone want to buy my endorsement for anything?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
As a positive note to end a very negative 2016 (and a final debt of 2016) I placed my order for both on New Year's Eve. (I know, collective sigh of relief. )

That's an awesome Xmas gift to yourself. Do post some photos when you get it. It's one that I'm personally not that tempted by, it would just sit on the book shelf and never get read, but it still looks incredibly well put together and I think it's a cool product.

Kosh: Good!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Confirmed User

Just placed my order for the books plus electronic version. There really wasn't much doubt I'd do this, but I did take another look at the 20 Years B5 book the other day to further convince myself to get the books as well. Now, just where I'll be placing them is another question.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Confirmed User

just tried to go to the site to see the price and see if im swayed to buy more B5 stuff... but the site seems to be down?

Everything OK at b5books?

EDIT: Nevermind its working again.

Last edited by Milkman; 01-27-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: