JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Babylon 5

Old 08-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Man, I leave my computer for an hour and you guys scoop me again!

And a slipcase! Don't forget the slipcase! (protects the books and is much easier to carry around and have actors autograph!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Really cool additions. Very exciting for those with orders in. I wish I could get excited about this one, but it's just not for me. I'd skim read it once and then never pick it up again.

Kosh: Good!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Really cool additions. Very exciting for those with orders in. I wish I could get excited about this one, but it's just not for me. I'd skim read it once and then never pick it up again.
But Ubik, it's an encyclopedia.
The purpose is not to once read it from A to Z.

But: everytime You have B5 related questions or You are in doubt of s.th. or a supporting actor or whatsoever: the encyclopedia will be your friend.

(Sorry this was a trivial one

B5-Stefan

--
Kosh to Lyta: "All arranged, as is payment, we will meet in Red-3 at the
hour of scampering"
[Deathwalker]
Old 08-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5-Stefan View Post
But Ubik, it's an encyclopedia.
The purpose is not to once read it from A to Z.

But: everytime You have B5 related questions or You are in doubt of s.th. or a supporting actor or whatsoever: the encyclopedia will be your friend.

(Sorry this was a trivial one

B5-Stefan

--
Kosh to Lyta: "All arranged, as is payment, we will meet in Red-3 at the
hour of scampering"
[Deathwalker]
I have all the B5 info I'll ever need in the script books and the Lurkers Guide. Anything else, I really don't need to know. I think it looks like an awesome product, I just know I won't use it and it'll just gather dust on a shelf.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 08-08-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
I have all the B5 info I'll ever need in the script books and the Lurkers Guide. Anything else, I really don't need to know. I think it looks like an awesome product, I just know I won't use it and it'll just gather dust on a shelf.
Well, Lurkers Guide is tremendous - but isn't updated for years.
For instance the B5 novels aren't mentioned in detail.
I mean

--
Morden: "It's like knocking over an ant-hill.
Every new generation gets stronger,
the ant-hill gets redesigned, made better"
[Z'ha'dum]
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Even with my encyclopaedic knowledge of the B5 universe I'm still buying it, even if I only pick at it.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post
Even with my encyclopaedic knowledge of the B5 universe I'm still buying it, even if I only pick at it.
Ah yes. Huddersfield!
Nowadays it's not best known for "B5 encyclopedic knowledge"
but for football MADNESS.

scnr
B5-Stefan

--
Ivanova: "You're a vicious man"
Garibaldi: "I'm Head of Security. It's in the job description"
Old 08-17-2017, 01:22 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5-Stefan View Post
Ah yes. Huddersfield!
Nowadays it's not best known for "B5 encyclopedic knowledge"
but for football MADNESS.

scnr
B5-Stefan

--
Ivanova: "You're a vicious man"
Garibaldi: "I'm Head of Security. It's in the job description"
Yes, with the opening game of the season going in the Terriers favour, just hope they can keep the momentum going. I'm not a big football fan, but it will certainly be a boost to the town.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Pre-orders will be closing as of August 31!

https://www.facebook.com/Babylon5Books/

I'm looking forward to both, though I expect to get more use out of the online edition.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:29 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Pre-orders will be closing as of August 31!

https://www.facebook.com/Babylon5Books/

I'm looking forward to both, though I expect to get more use out of the online edition.
Same here Jan, it will be updated on a more regular basis (which the physical volumes can't unless they do something similar to the Star Trek Encyclopedia by producing a supplement volume with additions and revisions).
Old 08-25-2017, 02:07 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by b5historyman View Post
Same here Jan, it will be updated on a more regular basis (which the physical volumes can't unless they do something similar to the Star Trek Encyclopedia by producing a supplement volume with additions and revisions).
Unless of course, they want to offer it in a ring binder format, so you can replace/remove pages at will :P
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 08-25-2017, 03:09 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
Unless of course, they want to offer it in a ring binder format, so you can replace/remove pages at will :P
A nice thought Production costs would probably rocket having to produce a sturdy binder in the first place. While updates themselves could be downloaded and printed on a home printer, there's the commercial aspect to take on board with pirated copies, and we know Joe's views on that subject.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:13 PM
Confirmed User

LAST DAY! ! ! ! !

I hope everyone gets their orders in. It seems like I ordered mine forever ago.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:48 PM
Confirmed User

Something obvious just dawned on me for some reason.

Say they sell 5,000 copies – that means jms is going to sit there and sign 5,000 individual little slips of paper which are going to be attached to one of the books . . . . . Wow!

I wonder how long something like that would take as a whole – presumably he wouldn’t do that in a single sitting.
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
Something obvious just dawned on me for some reason.

Say they sell 5,000 copies – that means jms is going to sit there and sign 5,000 individual little slips of paper which are going to be attached to one of the books . . . . . Wow!

I wonder how long something like that would take as a whole – presumably he wouldn’t do that in a single sitting.
Pretty sure they'll be pages bound into the books rather than bookplates.

As for how long...no telling. I've seen autograph lines of well over a hundred people at a time and he generally has a ten item limit and signings are usually scheduled for two hours at a time. So I suppose we could figure that he might be able to do as many as 750 autographs or more in a couple of hours. Maybe a little less since from what I've seen, he does a slightly more formal (for lack of a better word) signature for special items like the Never Surrender Dreams prints and the like. Plus I think one of the newsletters said that it would be silver Sharpie which takes a little longer to dry which would slow down 'production' a little also. Which is a long way of saying 'no telling' again. But I'd say it'd take a not insignificant amount of time and probably take more than one session.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: