JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Old 07-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Confirmed User

You can buy The Essential Ellison on amazon.uk, which would probably take care of the problems you cited. They sell used copies that are priced quite reasonably, plus you're getting a thousand pages of vintage Ellison. Best bargain you're ever going to get.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Confirmed User

Apologies, I didn't read back far enough to realize that Amazon uk wouldn't ship to continental Europe. I've also just realized that Marvel Comics ran an adaptation of the story in the black and white SF magazine, Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction. It was illustrated by Alex Nino and was extremely trippy.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
I've also just realized that Marvel Comics ran an adaptation of the story in the black and white SF magazine, Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction. It was illustrated by Alex Nino and was extremely trippy.
Now that, I'd like to see.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Harlan Ellison's suing to stop the release of the upcoming film "In Time" alleging copyright infringement of his story "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ng-foxs-235987

The suit (and story) mention that Harlan has allowed the story to be adapted to a screenplay but doesn't mention JMS by name. It's not clear whether Harlan's seen an advance screeing of "In Time" or not.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Confirmed User

Richard Roeper had said this movie was based on Harlan's work and JMS asked him about it over twitter a few days ago. It sounded like Roeper got that information from an official outline, so this may be a situation like the offhand James Cameron comment with Terminator where someone accidentally mentioned their "inspiration".
Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Confirmed User

I noticed that JMS asked on his Facebook page a few weeks ago if anybody had access to the film's press kit, so I guess it's making a bit more sense. Frankly, when I saw the trailer for the film recently, it felt much more like a thinly-veiled remake of Logan's Run to me.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Rampantly Irresponsible

Quote:
The suit (and story) mention that Harlan has allowed the story to be adapted to a screenplay but doesn't mention JMS by name.
None of the reportage on the suit that I've read mentioned JMS.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frulad View Post
None of the reportage on the suit that I've read mentioned JMS.
I doubt if anybody but the hard-core fans who read here or his FB page even know about it. And as far as the lawsuit is concerned, that part doesn't matter, only that the film might jeopardize that project.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 09-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Confirmed User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMonk View Post
Just as most english stuff it is "geographically restricted". I checked at borders.com, amazon, fictionwise... No way I can legally buy the e-book.
What a lousy system!
Update: I found an e-bookshop that sells his books to Belgium: it sells from the Netherlands: bol.com. They have several.

I don't know about Denmark, but it's worth a try... It's in Dutch though.

In case you're interested in the window "zoeken" (= search) just type Harlan Ellison. They have pocketbooks, hardcovers, audiobooks too. The e-books are labeled "digitaal boek".
Old 09-18-2011, 04:08 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
Update: I found an e-bookshop that sells his books to Belgium: it sells from the Netherlands: bol.com. They have several.

I don't know about Denmark, but it's worth a try... It's in Dutch though.

In case you're interested in the window "zoeken" (= search) just type Harlan Ellison. They have pocketbooks, hardcovers, audiobooks too. The e-books are labeled "digitaal boek".
Thanks for the info.

However, there is no way I will read an English language book *translated* into Dutch, or Danish for that matter. Not any more. Too much is lost in a translation. If I can I will read stuff in the original language.

- and, having lived in The Netherlands for quite a while I do speak and read Dutch, even if not quite at the level of my English.

If they can provide the English language version I will, of course be happy .

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Confirmed User

It's not a translation. It's in English.
I wouldn't have bothered if it was in Dutch.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Confirmed User

I meant to post this before on the Harlan Ellison thread, but you can actually buy a lot of books from Ellison himself. Just send a SASE to the Harlan Ellisone Recording Collection (HERC), P.O. Box 55548, Sherman Oaks, CA 91413. They sell lots of stuff including original hardcover, paperback and audio releases. Looking at the current eight-page catalogue, they have a coffee table hardcover of 'Repent Harlequin' for just $20 and an audio version for $15. They also have a handful of foreign editions as well. I just bought the graphic novel version of Vic & Blood: The Chronicles of A Boy and His Dog and a hardcover of The Harlan Ellison Hornbook for just $35 plus tax and shipping. Just a week later, my order came in, with both books signed to me by Harlan. Personally, I don't think you can get a better deal than that. And for overseas readers, I can see there are foreign shipping rates of $5 per book, which I think is quite reasonable. Anyway, I know people have recently been looking for a place to get Ellison books, so buying copies from the author himself seems pretty cool to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
I meant to post this before on the Harlan Ellison thread, but you can actually buy a lot of books from Ellison himself. Just send a SASE to the Harlan Ellisone Recording Collection (HERC), P.O. Box 55548, Sherman Oaks, CA 91413. They sell lots of stuff including original hardcover, paperback and audio releases. Looking at the current eight-page catalogue, they have a coffee table hardcover of 'Repent Harlequin' for just $20 and an audio version for $15. They also have a handful of foreign editions as well. I just bought the graphic novel version of Vic & Blood: The Chronicles of A Boy and His Dog and a hardcover of The Harlan Ellison Hornbook for just $35 plus tax and shipping. Just a week later, my order came in, with both books signed to me by Harlan. Personally, I don't think you can get a better deal than that. And for overseas readers, I can see there are foreign shipping rates of $5 per book, which I think is quite reasonable. Anyway, I know people have recently been looking for a place to get Ellison books, so buying copies from the author himself seems pretty cool to me.
That's great news. No catalog online though? SASE is so 1990s!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Quote:
It's not a translation. It's in English.
I wouldn't have bothered if it was in Dutch.
Thanks, I will look into it.

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

For anyone still seeking a copy of "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman," I can confirm that the story will be included in Harlan 101: Encountering Ellison, the next book from the same folks who did Brain Movies. And CafePress will be more than happy to ship it damn-near anywhere.

I don't have an exact date yet, but the book should be out soonish.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: