JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavis View Post
For anyone still seeking a copy of "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman," I can confirm that the story will be included in Harlan 101: Encountering Ellison, the next book from the same folks who did Brain Movies. And CafePress will be more than happy to ship it damn-near anywhere.

I don't have an exact date yet, but the book should be out soonish.
1. Is the book edited by Jason Davis and if(1.=true)
2. Does Jason Davis send out autographed copies?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Alyt, B5 Script Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
1. Is the book edited by Jason Davis and if(1.=true)
2. Does Jason Davis send out autographed copies?
Yes to #1. No to #2; it's Harlan's book, so I don't feel it would really be appropriate...though you might convince me to scrawl something near my name on the copyright page if you caught me off guard at a con.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 PM
ISN Anchor

Send a message via AIM to OmahaStar Send a message via MSN to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavis View Post
Yes to #1. No to #2; it's Harlan's book, so I don't feel it would really be appropriate...though you might convince me to scrawl something near my name on the copyright page if you caught me off guard at a con.
Note to self - acquire one of Jason's blank checks before seeing him at a con ...

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaStar View Post
Note to self - acquire one of Jason's blank checks before seeing him at a con ...
Memo to OmahaStar: Autographs are never legal signatures. That'd be stupid.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 AM

For those interested, here's the actual complaint filed:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/65510308/C...llison-in-Time

Items 14 and 15 are the most interesting for this non-legal sort of person.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Confirmed User

Thanks for the link, Jan. It makes for interesting reading. It will be interesting to see if the studio can win this case by basically arguing that A) resemblance between their film and Ellison's story are purely coincidental (a difficult sell) or B) confusing the issue by bringing in other examples of other stories that contain similar elements, thus trying to establish that there are no new ideas under the sun. On the other hand, if somebody explains the events of the Terminator case, they will probably realize that if James Cameron can't win against Ellison, they probably wouldn't have much of a chance either. I suspect that studio executives being what they are, they will probably think they can make this go away by threatening to litigate it to death, but if you look at Harlan's legal history, he never gives up and rarely if ever loses. In fact, I would be interested to know if he's ever lost a case or dropped it without settlement. My bet: a settlement the week before the film's release and an ambigious acknowledgement of the works of Harlan Ellsion tacked on to the home video release.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
My bet: a settlement the week before the film's release and an ambigious acknowledgement of the works of Harlan Ellsion tacked on to the home video release.
Yeah, but I wonder if the fact that JMS has already written a screenplay for "Harlequin" might make this one more than seeking acknowledgement. Even though we like to slag Hollywood for copying everything under the sun, it seems to me that the acknowledgement would make it that much harder to sell JMS's screenplay. And that's the film I'd be wanting to see.

ETA: No matter what, the studio's gonna have to react fast since the suit was filed on Sept 14 and they've got 21 days (Oct. 5) to respond but the film's due to open on Oct. 28.

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 09-24-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Confirmed User

Actually Jan, you bring up a very good point. Since JMS would find it that much more difficult to sell his screenplay now, it would be another area in which to establish damages.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM

Just found this:

http://69.147.126.45/news/yahoo-cont...t-credit-movie

I'm a little disappointed because I *really* want to see JMS's script made. Not that I expected the film to actually be stopped but....

Jan
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Just found this:

http://69.147.126.45/news/yahoo-cont...t-credit-movie

I'm a little disappointed because I *really* want to see JMS's script made. Not that I expected the film to actually be stopped but....

Jan
Yeah, my friends who have seen the movie are comparing In Time to "Repent Harlequin" as if it's a dumbed down version, but pretty good. From what I hear. Definitely hurts the prospect of it getting made.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM

The lawsuit's not over and no settlement has been reached. From reading Harlan's Webderland page, it's become obvious that the stories making the rounds were incorrect. Harlan hasn't commented on it but [url=http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/8762/where-did-the-fake-harlan-ellison-story-come-from.html[/url] has a quote from Harlan's attorney:

Quote:
"We have no idea where the story came from and have no further information," Thurston said. "As for Mr. Ellison, he has not and will not be commenting on litigation while it is pending."
Jan
Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 PM

No real information as to why, but here's a report that Harlan has dropped the suit against "In Time".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...dropped-267567

Jan
Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Rampantly Irresponsible

I would guess that given the poor box office and critical reaction, Harlan realized that it was probably in his and a potential "Repent..." film adaption's best interests to NOT draw a connection between his story and the film.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 AM

This is what Harlan posted last night:

Quote:
HARLAN ELLISON
- Thursday, December 1 2011 21:31:1
PART 2

2) Many, many of you have asked me about the progress of my plagiarim lawsuit againt the film "In Time" and its resemblance to "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman. The case is now settled, and I refer you to Jan's posting of yesterday, the front page headline on THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER labeled (EXCLUSIVE). The url, again (and thank you, Jan), is http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...dropped-267567. PLEASE READ IT VERY VERY CAREFULLY!Bearing in mind all you've read about the Action up till now, all I can say to answer ANY questions you may wish to ask is contained in the Agreed Joint Statement of the Settlement Agreement between the parties: PLEASE READ IT VERY VERY CAREFULLY!

"After seeing the film 'In Time', Harlan Ellison has decided voluntarily to dismiss the Action. No payment or screen credit
was promised or given to Harlan Ellison. The parties wish each other well, and have no further comment on the matter."

So don't ask. Reads carefully and all questions are answered.

Joe Straczynski's screenplay based on my multiple-award-winning "'Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman" is back in play, for all interested producers, particularly at HBO.
It is a frabjous day calloo-callay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(emphasis added by me (also one typo fixed))

Jan
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Sleeping In Light

Yay. HBO, you reading?

They'd do a fabulous job.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: