JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
So the gossip in me wants to know are Pat and Joe dating or was that just for fun? Going to see the movie this weekend!
HEARSAY ALERT(heard second hand): At a con in Australia (New Zealand? - I'm not sure) Pat mentioned working with JMS on something and that she's learning how to be a producer. So my thinking is that you've got friends working together going to something fun. And if you were JMS, wouldn't you want to arrive at a premiere with a gorgeous redhead on your arm?

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Avoidin' cannon fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
HEARSAY ALERT(heard second hand): At a con in Australia (New Zealand? - I'm not sure) Pat mentioned working with JMS on something and that she's learning how to be a producer. So my thinking is that you've got friends working together going to something fun. And if you were JMS, wouldn't you want to arrive at a premiere with a gorgeous redhead on your arm?

Jan
I am fine with it either way. Gorgeous redheads are awesome. I married one.

Dan
Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Confirmed User

J. Michael Straczynski Photos
"Thor" Los Angeles Premiere - Arrivals
May 2, 2011 - Hollywood, CA, USA
Old 05-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Confirmed User

Movie Review
Thor (2011)
Have Golden Locks, Seeking Hammer
By A. O. SCOTT
Published: May 5, 2011

Quote:
As I stumbled out of the Imax multiplex all-media advance screening of ôThor,ö depositing my 3-D glasses in the appropriate bin, I thought of seeking shelter: in a nearby bar; under a passing bus; in the velvet shadows of an art house playing the longest, slowest, most obscure movie imaginable. But when something like ôThorö comes to town, there is really no refuge to be found in drink, death or subtitles, and so I tried to reason myself out of the leaden gloom that lay upon my soul as heavy as Mjolnir.
Rotten Tomatoes
Thor (2011)
A dazzling blockbuster that tempers its sweeping scope with wit, humor, and human drama, Thor is mighty Marvel entertainment.

All Critics: 79%
Average Rating: 6.8/10
Reviews Counted: 194
Fresh: 153 | Rotten: 41

Top Critics: 65%
Average Rating: 6.5/10
Critic Reviews: 34
Fresh: 22 | Rotten: 12

Audience: 84% like it
Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 72,474

Metacritic
58 out of 100
Mixed or average reviews - based on 36 Critics
Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Goddess of Good Taste

"Thor" was AMAZING! I geeked out at all of the in-references (and explained them to my husband: Stark, the scientist working with gamma rays who disappeared, Stan Lee's appearance, etc.), and threw my arms up and cheered, "Yay! Joe!" when JMS was on screen. Plus, the pagan in me was awestruck and even a little teary at the views of Asgard, all of the familiar characters, etc. Yes, agreed that bifrost was beautiful!

Oh, and count me in with those thinking that something just might be up between JMS and Pat Tallman... I think he's always had a bit of a thing for her (thinking of some of his descriptions of her eyes, etc.), and..they are both single now!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Being a bit of a brat, I posted this to JMS' Facebook page:

Quote:
Mini THOR review: The stopping of the red pick-up was masterful. The scurrying to the hammer, wonderfully nuanced. But it was the straining to pick up Mj÷lnir that stole the entire movie, with but a single sound evoking such deep emotion. This actor has had masterful direction in both of the two small roles he's had so far. I predict a brilliant career. (g,d.r)

Seriously, I enjoyed it a lot and I'd love to see an entirely written by JMS comic-based movie.
I really did enjoy it a lot though I can see some reviewer's points about Thor's redemption coming too quickly. I disagree with whoever wrote that Thor didn't seem too affected by Odin's supposed death. Thor was brought up to be a warrior and a king. He's not likely to wear his heart on his sleeve.

At less than two hours, I think it would have benefitted by just another 5-10 minutes. As it is, an awful lot was packed into the time it had and I don't feel that it was overly rushed, mainly just rich. I might well be tempted to see this one again while it's in theaters which is something I almost never do.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyG View Post
"Thor" was AMAZING! I geeked out at all of the in-references (and explained them to my husband: Stark, the scientist working with gamma rays who disappeared, Stan Lee's appearance, etc.), and threw my arms up and cheered, "Yay! Joe!" when JMS was on screen. Plus, the pagan in me was awestruck and even a little teary at the views of Asgard, all of the familiar characters, etc. Yes, agreed that bifrost was beautiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I really did enjoy it a lot though I can see some reviewer's points about Thor's redemption coming too quickly. I disagree with whoever wrote that Thor didn't seem too affected by Odin's supposed death. Thor was brought up to be a warrior and a king. He's not likely to wear his heart on his sleeve.

At less than two hours, I think it would have benefitted by just another 5-10 minutes. As it is, an awful lot was packed into the time it had and I don't feel that it was overly rushed, mainly just rich. I might well be tempted to see this one again while it's in theaters which is something I almost never do.

Jan
I'm waiting for my youngest daughter to come home from college before I see Thor. I'm also looking for a theater that is not showing 3D in the area.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Confirmed User

SPOILERS!!!

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It was everything you could want in a Thor movie including the swinging hammer from the comics. Loved JMS and Stan in it as well. The only real problem I had is with Loki's master plan at the end seemed inchorent at times. Thor deciding to help SHIELD was a little out there as well. The Hawkeye cameo was incredible as was destroying the Rainbow Bridge. I didn't see that coming at all. The after the credits scene turned what I thought was a damn good comic book film into a Tarantino twist especially with the suitcase and Sam Jackson. Avengers is setting up to amazing.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Goddess of Good Taste

Yeah, Hawkeye was great: "I'm starting to root for this guy."
Old 05-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyG View Post
{snip}

Oh, and count me in with those thinking that something just might be up between JMS and Pat Tallman... I think he's always had a bit of a thing for her (thinking of some of his descriptions of her eyes, etc.), and..they are both single now!
Producer may be dating actress but I think that the relationship is mostly work. However that would not prevent it turning into a working partnership.

One oddity, Patricia Tallman's new Facebook page calls her Actor/Director. This may be a mistake or she is directing something we have not been told about.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 AM

I think folks are trying to read *way* too much into one outing. Having been to cons with various award events or banquets, I can tell you that JMS is often accompanied by somebody he works with, for instance Samm Barnes or Fiona Avery in the past. Other times he's been alone or with somebody I didn't recognize. Pat's an actress and therefore of interest to photographers in her own right where the others probably wouldn't have been.

Let's go back to talking about THOR unless they change their FB status, huh?

Jan
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Goddess of Good Taste

Cons are different. Those people with JMS are already at those cons, so it's nothing for them to walk downstairs to the banquet together. I'm just sayin'! And, I am not trying to start any rumors, or even really care that much: I just noticed it, and apparently I wasn't the only one who did!

(It could be that I'm too much of a veteran soap-watcher, so I see potential subplots, intrigue and romance everywhere!)

Last edited by AmyG; 05-08-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Another thought
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 PM

From Deadline Hollywood Entertainment:

Quote:
1. Thor (Marvel/Disney/Paramount) NEW [3,955 Theaters]
Friday $25.7M, Saturday $23.5M, Weekend $66M
International $176M, Global Cume $242M
Jan
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Goddess of Good Taste

More details here:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3158&p=.htm
Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Confirmed User

YouTube
Hi, I'm a Marvel...and I'm a DC: Thor and Green Lantern

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: