JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Goddess of Good Taste

That's priceless, Dan! That's going on Facebook, now!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Confirmed User

Saw it Saturday in 3-D.

I don't know if it's my theatre's system, or my own eyes being wonky (I'm myopic, astigmatic, and red-green colorblind), but there's still something off about 3-D films, for me. I still see ghost images, especially when there are printed words on the screen.

Nevertheless, OMGWTF that was a fun movie. Julie and I seemed to be the only people in the theater who recognized JMS, sadly.

We both laughed at the "huh." Ever since the pilot of Firefly, that's been our favorite exclamation, and JMS delivered a perfect one.

Loki's game DID seem a little convoluted, his motivation seemed to keep shifting - though that's a trickster god for you.

And the reveal after the credits...
Quote:
Cosmic cuuuuuuuuuuube!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Confirmed User

I saw it yesterday with my two teenaged boys. We all liked it, but I don't think any of us were "wowed" by it. I had no idea JMS had a cameo, and I loved seeing him on screen! I'm not surprised to find that the earth-bound segments were based on Joe's run. Those were much more fun than the Asgard segments.

I will say that the casting was excellent all the way around. It must be tough to find someone who can fill the boots of "Thor", but Chris Hemsworth pulled it off really well.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post

Let's go back to talking about THOR unless they change their FB status, huh?

Jan
We wouldn't even be having these discussions if he'd brought Harlan along instead. Or Joe may have taken Harlan to a preview screening.

Yes, they have been spotted going to a movie together. A friend of mine was at a regular screening of one of the LOTR movies and realized Joe and Harlan were sitting a few seats away from them.

I hope to see Thor this weekend. Was a bit busy running our local science fiction convention this past weekend....
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftv View Post
We wouldn't even be having these discussions if he'd brought Harlan along instead.
We would be if they arrived arm-in-arm!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
We would be if they arrived arm-in-arm!
Nah! JMS is much too tall for Harlan. They might arrive arm-in-arm with Susan, though.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 AM

Amy and I were wondering if JMS was involved in THOR on the script level and he posted:

Quote:
Nope, once the story was finished, it was in the hands of the other writers, who did an amazing job.
Another poster on the FB page posted this link to a new interview which gives a bit more detail on how the process worked.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32269

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 AM
ISN Anchor

Send a message via AIM to OmahaStar Send a message via MSN to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
I was a little irritated during this movie. I went with a rather large group of people who are (mostly) comic book geeks, but others were general SF fans. When I say large, I mean the group took up two entire rows, from one side of the theater to the other, with a few others in a third row.

When JMS came on screen, I cheered. I was the only one who did. No one else in the group had any idea who he was. Yet, seconds later, when Stan Lee shows up, every one of them whooped and hollored like they'd just seen their messiah.

wtf? How can any SF or comic book geek not recognize JMS on sight?

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast
Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaStar View Post
I was a little irritated during this movie. I went with a rather large group of people who are (mostly) comic book geeks, but others were general SF fans. When I say large, I mean the group took up two entire rows, from one side of the theater to the other, with a few others in a third row.

When JMS came on screen, I cheered. I was the only one who did. No one else in the group had any idea who he was. Yet, seconds later, when Stan Lee shows up, every one of them whooped and hollored like they'd just seen their messiah.

This is indeed puzzling. It is sort of like someone who is a film noir fan not recognizing Alfred Hitchcock in one of his cameos. We need to lobby for JMS to appear on The Big Bang Theory.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaStar View Post
Now, now...he wasn't wearing his glasses, after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dassow View Post
This is indeed puzzling. It is sort of like someone who is a film noir fan not recognizing Alfred Hitchcock in one of his cameos. We need to lobby for JMS to appear on The Big Bang Theory.
I think somebody brought that up at one point and he said the chances were somewhere between slim and none.

Oh, but wouldn't it be fun to see JMS and Sheldon butt heads??

Jan
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Goddess of Good Taste

Hey, even my husband recognized JMS, and he is not a fanboy! I'm really shocked at your crowd, OmahaStar!

By the way, Jan, even though Joe says the script was in the hands of others, didn't you think the same thing I did every time a character said "I tried to tell them, but they didn't listen. They never listen."?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyG View Post
By the way, Jan, even though Joe says the script was in the hands of others, didn't you think the same thing I did every time a character said "I tried to tell them, but they didn't listen. They never listen."?
Nothing really stuck out for me as a JMS-ism in this one, at least not the way "Never start a fight..." did for me in Changeling. But then, while we've seen in the script books that JMS will put snippets of dialogue in his notes as he's working, I don't recall anything like that in his outlines.

What struck me was how much was packed into a no-quite-two-hour movie and that's what I thought was in large part due to JMS' influence.

Jan
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
But then, while we've seen in the script books that JMS will put snippets of dialogue in his notes as he's working, I don't recall anything like that in his outlines.
It's rare, but occasionally there will be one or two lines of dialogue in the outline (Londo's "I saw nothing", G'Kars "angry at heart or hand?", and Sinclair's "I found her"), unless I misunderstand what you mean by the difference between outline and notes.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dassow View Post
Quote:
I think somebody brought that up at one point and he said the chances were somewhere between slim and none.

Oh, but wouldn't it be fun to see JMS and Sheldon butt heads??

Jan
Seeing Sheldon bested by JMS would indeed be interesting, especially since Sheldon would refuse to admit it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 AM
Confirmed User

J. Michael Straczynski Discusses Outlining the THOR Film and His Cameo in the Movie
JMS tells CBR that he was not concerned with credit for the story in the THOR film.
Comic Book Movie.com
Hawksblueyes
5/11/2011

Quote:

Fans no doubt noted your "Story By" credit when they saw the movie this weekend. What was your involvement like on the film?

I was involved at a very early stage, breaking the story in meetings with Kevin Feige and Craig Kyle and others. ...

You also had a cameo! I heard the experience was a little different on the filming end than you anticipated. Were you pleased with what finally made it to the screen? Have you interacted at all with your fellow guest stars like Walt Simonson or Stan Lee?

First, I was just going to be one of a bunch of guys sitting at a table in a banquet scene. But Ken decided that the cameo should be more than that. ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: