JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
It's rare, but occasionally there will be one or two lines of dialogue in the outline (Londo's "I saw nothing", G'Kars "angry at heart or hand?", and Sinclair's "I found her"), unless I misunderstand what you mean by the difference between outline and notes.
Those are exactly the kinds of examples I'm thinking of, but I think they were probably in his own notes rather than a formal outline such as we saw for "In the Beginning" meant to be sent out to a studio (or publisher, in the case of the trilogies).

Or to completely destroy a quote from Ta'Lon...While all outlines can be notes, not all notes can be outlines.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Sleeping In Light

I finally saw this movie. Wow it was fantastic! I had a great time from JMS, to the overall complexity and characters, to the end credits bit.

Was this his first speaking role? I think he didn't have any lines in SiL.

Huh.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
Was this his first speaking role? I think he didn't have any lines in SiL.

Huh.
This was the first time he made sounds, yes. I think we all agree that he spoke volumes in SiL.

Wonder if he'll need to get a SAG card now...

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 PM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Or to completely destroy a quote from Ta'Lon...While all outlines can be notes, not all notes can be outlines.
That's... terrible. In a good way.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Sleeping In Light

Quote:
This was the first time he made sounds, yes. I think we all agree that he spoke volumes in SiL.

Wonder if he'll need to get a SAG card now...

Jan
A couple more roles like these, and JMS will become the Jon Favreau of writing.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Confirmed User

Finally seen Thor yesterday evening.
JMS cameo was a great moment !
Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyG View Post
Cons are different. Those people with JMS are already at those cons, so it's nothing for them to walk downstairs to the banquet together. I'm just sayin'! And, I am not trying to start any rumors, or even really care that much: I just noticed it, and apparently I wasn't the only one who did!

(It could be that I'm too much of a veteran soap-watcher, so I see potential subplots, intrigue and romance everywhere!)
Pat Tallman has accompanied JMS to a play.
"patriciatallman Patricia Tallman
@straczynski and I saw the most amazing performances last night. "God of Carnage" #Ahmanson . Marcia Gay Harden is remarkable.
" Twitter dated 22 May 2022

Since as far as I know neither of them has a professional connection to this second performance it sounds like a social visit.

Last edited by Andrew_Swallow; 05-22-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: change film to play
Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Turning the conversation back to the actual work....

I just got back from seeing THOR for the second time, this time in 2D. I'm finding that I don't particularly care for 3D because I spend too much time paying attention to watching the screen/scenery than paying close attention to the story. I've seen other folks complain about washed-out color in the 3D version but I can't say that I noticed a lot of difference - but this time I was paying more attention to the story.

One reason why I wanted to see it again in the theater was something that bugged me a little the first time. When Thor and co. invade J├Ětunheim, King Laufrey seems reluctant to go so far as all-out war, though he'd apparently approved the raid to retrieve the power casket. Later on, when he agreed to kill Odin, that reluctance was missing.

My thinking is that Loki told Laurfrey that he was Laufrey's son, taken by Odin as an infant. Otherwise, why bring up the subject at all? Maybe it added fuel to Loki's desire to take the throne but he already had plenty of that, I think.

Sure wish I could see the story as JMS wrote it or even the script to see if I'm right. I'm spoiled!

Oh...and those reviews that said that the first part was too complicated. Pffthht. They're nuts. I love that so much was packed almost seamlessly into the two hours.

Jan
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 AM

Thor comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray today!

Nice article:

http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=12674

Jan
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Thread Killer

I just saw Thor today at home. I've never read any of the comics, and wasn't really interested in the movie till I realized that JMS was involved.

I loved it a lot! The scenery was beautiful. but my favorite parts were the story, and the characterization. I started out not liking Thor at all, and kinda rooting for Loki, until Thor had his "moment' with the hammer and slowly started turning nice.

There were a lot of "awe" moments for me with the characters, especially Thor, who became my favorite at the end. I also loved Natalie Portman's character and Loki. Even though he was the bad guy I still felt for him in some ways.

I am going to see the avengers this week hopefully and am excited for Thor 2. I don't know if JMS will have anything to do with either of those films or not.

My first JMS'ism moment was when Odin was telling his sons to never start a war, but always finish it, only it was phrased differently, but it meant still meant the same thing.

And of course JMS cameo was brilliant also.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 AM

Not exactly 'news', but I thought this was fun.

JMS' cameo in 'Thor" was noted among the 50 greatest Marvel Easter Eggs:

Quote:
15 J. Michael Straczynski cameo

The Easter Egg: As locals step up to lift Mjolnir from the ground in Thor, the first person to try is none other than J. Michael Straczynski, famed comic-book writer.

How Obscure Is It? Only die-hard comic-book fans and Straczynski’s own mother would recognise him here.
Well...I wouldn't go quite that far!

ETA: At least one FB poster is reporting seeing JMS' cameo as #36 instead of #15. Wonder why.

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 11-03-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM

The FX Channel is showing "Thor" a lot this week in case you want to see JMS in his groundbreaking role of 'Townie' again! Tonight it's on at 8:00 PM!

Jan
Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
The FX Channel is showing "Thor" a lot this week in case you want to see JMS in his groundbreaking role of 'Townie' again! Tonight it's on at 8:00 PM!

Jan
I'm envisioning two B5 fans a few hundred years in the future debating whether JMS's groundbreaking "Townie" role or his role as the person who shut off the lights in "Sleeping in Light" is the better performance.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dassow View Post
I'm envisioning two B5 fans a few hundred years in the future debating whether JMS's groundbreaking "Townie" role or his role as the person who shut off the lights in "Sleeping in Light" is the better performance.
JMS sure can throw a switch!

Kosh: Good!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
JMS sure can throw a switch!
Yeah, yeah...but did you *see* that two-handed pull on the hammer? Such subtle drama... Superb!

Jan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: