JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 04-29-2017, 03:32 AM

Season Two - Full Season Discussion - SPOILERS

For general discussion about the whole season including the Christmas Special.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Just a fan

RT score and consensus: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/sense8/s02/

85%, 7.22/10, based on 13 reviews.

Quote:
Critics Consensus: Sense8 maintains its stunning visuals, Wachowski wackiness, and great heart -- though its individual characters deserve more development.
I can't say that I believe this is indeed the critical consensus as expressed by the indexed reviews - that the characters are underdeveloped - but in any case the season is getting better reviews than the previous one, and that's what matters!

The previous season was rated 67% and 6.11/10.

Also season 2's Metacritic score: http://www.metacritic.com/tv/sense8/season-2 currently is at 73%, based on 8 reviews, better than the 63% of the previous season.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Vorlon Visitor

It's definitely a far stronger season, IMHO. But you need the slower pacing of S1 to make this season as good as it is. I can agree slightly with the character development comment, with so many characters to deal with, some can feel more underdeveloped as a consequence. Plot advancement takes centre stage in this second season. Off the top of my head, Riley's content felt a bit thin to me, as did Kala's.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 05-10-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Just a fan

For me this season fixed both Riley and Kala, I thought that they had plenty of stuff to do.

I'd have to watch the season again, but right now I'm a bit confused; is our cluster Angelica's second, after the one with Raoul and Todd? Or has she birthed more than those two clusters?

I thought this season kind of implied that our cluster is only her second.

And if it's only the second, didn't Yrsa in the first season imply she had given birth to number bigger than 2?

Quote:
He and that bitch were collaborators.
They hunted our kind for BPO.
They worked with Whispers.
They would give birth to clusters
and use them to find others.
Then again, I still haven't really understood what's the backstory of Angelica, Jonas and Whispers! I thought this season was going to illuminate things.. which it did.. regarding everything else but those 3!

Also notice Yrsa calls him "Whispers" instead of "The Cannibal" which seems like it's how Whispers is known to most sensates; probably because the writers hadn't invented the new season's nickname yet

Last edited by sense8ional; 05-10-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:25 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
For me this season fixed both Riley and Kala, I thought that they had plenty of stuff to do.
Yes, definitely. However, with Riley I felt like her major narrative arc was played out in S1, in fact S1 was quite Riley and Will-centric now that I think about it. In this season it feels more like a collective narrative, with Riley having no real arc of her own. She acts as a conduit for Will a lot of the time. But even then, I find this season a bit more even handed with the characters than S1, they all have their place and backstory better established.

I feel like this season has been more about moveing forward the overarching plot and Sensate lore / history, with the central character narrative being Sun.

Last edited by Ubik; 05-11-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Just a fan

Another question.. So Kolovi is doing what he's doing with Whispers, in order to, what? Probably so that he learns more about sensates and writes books about homo sensorium and profit from their sales etc.?

Because if he's just doing it because BPO pays him well, then why would he also be writing about homo sensorium? Wouldn't BPO prefer that he doesn't reveal anything about sensates to the world, if he's a part of them? What if some other researcher gets inspired by Kolovi's writings and uncovers the truth that homo sensorium didn't go extinct, you know?

So my only conclusion is that he's not a full time member of the organization; he and BPO have come to an understanding that he'll help them, but he'll also be able to publish *some* of his findings for academic cred and riches.

Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Another question.. So Kolovi is doing what he's doing with Whispers, in order to, what? Probably so that he learns more about sensates and writes books about homo sensorium and profit from their sales etc.?

Because if he's just doing it because BPO pays him well, then why would he also be writing about homo sensorium? Wouldn't BPO prefer that he doesn't reveal anything about sensates to the world, if he's a part of them? What if some other researcher gets inspired by Kolovi's writings and uncovers the truth that homo sensorium didn't go extinct, you know?

So my only conclusion is that he's not a full time member of the organization; he and BPO have come to an understanding that he'll help them, but he'll also be able to publish *some* of his findings for academic cred and riches.

Thoughts?
Yeah, I dunno, I found the Kolovi thread a bit of an odd one. Perhaps he is used to reel in potential Sensates?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:

Thoughts?
I think this is part of the "mystery of Whispers" which has yet to be solved, like Nomi said. Like I don't think we even know what Whispers motives are for even zombifying all those sensates? Like we know he does it as a means of eliminating political opposition and whatnot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have gotten any clue as to why he is so willing to do so. The only thing we've got is that pretty weak justification he gave Will at the Parliament.

I've seen some people theorize he might be the chairman, but I think this is unlikely. Would be interesting if he is though.

Anyways, the Sense8 twitter account tweeted this! Looks like it's from the behind the scenes thing they were making. Super excited to see it!! Though I am curious as to know which "day" they considered to be "day 1" since during filming in India they seem to have started in the early hundreds, while filming in Korea was in the 200's. Hopefully it gets released soon: https://twitter.com/sense8/status/863046939360849920
Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 AM
Just a fan

Yeah, can't wait for it!

Complimentary links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFFtNiB6fJU
https://www.facebook.com/Sense8TV/vi...7430238783266/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: