JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 07-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Just a fan

From SciFiNow #131, print exclusive:

On Lana's rewrites:

Quote:
“As an actor, you’re used to showing up and having the script,” continues Smith. “We now show up and Lana comes over with her pink computer and we all just shudder. All of the scenes that we’ve worked on and thought about are completely changed. This year, there’s a lot of learning the scene in five minutes, or even as the camera is rolling! We’ve shot scenes before and in the middle of coverage our script editor will come up and say: ‘Did you not see this line?’ and I’d be like: ‘I haven’t seen the line before…’ ‘Oh yeah, Lana rewrote it last night.’”

It’s not just Smith who found himself overwhelmed by the sudden turnarounds. “Brian and I were doing a scene in one of the safe houses, and we got a call the night before,” says Terrence Mann, who plays antagonist Whispers. “It was a two-page scene, we got there to shoot, they were setting up, and Lana said: ‘Okay, here’s a new page’. It was two new pages of dialogue that was completely different!
On Lana as director:

Quote:
The cast may joke that the script changes can be a pain, but they’re all too in awe of Wachowski’s directing style to care. Smith even goes so far as to call her ‘the ultimate auteur’; she has complete responsibility over every single aspect of Season Two, from the scripts to the locations to the props.

“This is like a Christopher Guest kind of situation,”
says Smith. “She’s constantly asking you to jump off this cliff, and join her to find something beyond who you are as an actor when you’re just showing up, working from nine-to-five, having all your lines memorised, hitting your marks – she’s not interested in that at all.”
Quote:
Miguel Angel Silvestre, who plays Lito, jokes that he thinks he’ll stand more of a chance of understanding what she’s saying by staring her down. “When she gives direction, I remain quiet and I look at her and think that maybe through her corporality I’m going to get more information because she’s giving me nothing!” he laughs.

“Many times, I say: ‘Lana, I think to understand what you’re meaning I need a conversation’, and I find out it’s about trust.
You go there, you do it, and then maybe you can ask for the experience. The way she thinks… it’s impressive. I’m way younger than her, but her commitment from her early years through art and knowledge is so deep, and I really think that her thoughts give you a lot of experience and you learn a lot from them.”
Quote:
“I’ve never met anyone with sure a huge capacity for retention of information,” says Tuppence Middleton, who plays Icelandic DJ Riley. “She remembers everything she reads or watches or has seen or heard about. She has such a huge memory bank, and so I think with this whole story, it’s completely in her head.”
Old 07-03-2017, 05:23 AM
Just a fan

All season 2 badges, including a few we didn't get to see at the time production was going, sorted in chronological order, by Aimee Allegretti:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTsHD3KhMA5/

Quote:
Redwoods and Malibu (LA) didn't have their own badge, nor did the London 2-day return shoot, it seems.

Bae has posted this training stunt video of the hanging scene, from March 2016 in Studio Babelsberg:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGTjh-A9B4/

Quote:
#tb #StudioBabelsberg in Mar2016. Stunt training day2. My favourite part of the scene.
The stunt was really great in the episode (and in this video even!)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Confirmed User

Interview with Malebra: http://gaynews.it/primo-piano/item/6...o-malerba.html

Using google translate and questions in bold:

Quote:
Can you tell us your experience as a manufacturer of Sense8 ?

On this question I could write a book. Let's say you go to 17 cities and to do so, working 100 hours a week for nine months was a very tiring part but has joined the cast and crew in a unique and indimeticabile way: it is a life experience that you can not repeat . We knew it was for something very special and different from the usual work. This gave us the mental will to put aside our private lives for nine months to do something important. A great satisfaction.

The decision to deal with pressing issues such as homosexuality, the race and many more diversity in many countries are still taboos, how did? Netflix has had no hesitation about?

When it started Sense8 , Netflix was streaming in 8 countries. The time now is 180. I can honestly say Netflix gave us maximum support and has always believed.

In a socio / cultural period like today, where you ask Sense8 ?

It is a series of social importance and current issues in the world that is unique in this respect. Merit of the Wachowski sisters.

Have you had any problem in producing and distributing Sense8 , given the complaints that apply in some countries?

No, but it is obvious that in some Arab and Asian countries could not be run, unfortunately.

You were one of the first "activists" of the # RenewSense8. Do you hit the great response globally to have a result of this unique series in the entertainment world? Did you expect such a mobilization?

Yes, I was struck by the great feeling of so many individuals who identified themselves in one or more characters in the series. As if even now they had their superheroes. Read despair when the series was canceled I was sorry enormously on a human level and that is what the fight seemed more than fair. Especially as a person and not as a producer. I think this protest, if you can call it that, is unprecedented: it's also been endorsed by the American press and, in less than a month, has managed to change a final decision that had already been taken. I am therefore very proud to be part of it. Anyway, it is rightly the meaning of the word Pride.

The various official press releases Netflix have always reiterated the web network firmly not to act on the series. Even the actors' contracts were recesses. Now, the official news confirmed and a final two-hour episode. They had been given reasons of budget and poor audience. What happened? What has changed?

Netflix has deleted the two most expensive series Sense8 and The getdown : a purely financial decision. When we started the first season were five original series. Now make forty. This is no excuse and I'm certainly not agree with them. While the movies you count the tickets in a streaming now there are subscriptions and, therefore, it is very difficult to figure out how to do these calculations. What has changed is that you imagined, but NEAC us, so a strong protest. They have taken note. Hats off to those who protested and who accepted the protetsta and changed his mind. That's how the world should work.

The announcement of the change of course with the final episode's creation was made during the month of Pride and on the eve of the parade of the Word Pride Madrid. There will have been a marketing operation?

Surely the announcement of the cancellation of Sense8 on June 1, which is the first day of Pride in America, it was not a happy choice. But neither the day nor the cancellation announcement of a final episode were marketing operations. One thing only is certain: no protest there would be a final episode of Sense8 . This decision is about the fans and just as written in the letter of Lana.

What should we expect from this special episode?

A fitting end to all fans deserve. Lana yet to start writing pertnato more than that I do not know ...
Old 07-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Just a fan

Thanks for this! Other than that writing has yet to start, I guess we didn't learn anything "big", eg probability of season 3, or which countries they are thinking, or any of the other million questions I have, haha.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
Thanks for this! Other than that writing has yet to start, I guess we didn't learn anything "big", eg probability of season 3, or which countries they are thinking, or any of the other million questions I have, haha.
My pleasure, I stumbled upon it when after I woke up and checked twitter lol

I think it's too early for a discussion of season 3, it might be possible some of the logistics are still being worked out like budget and filming schedule before writing begins (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have so many questions too ahhhhhh, hopefully some things can be answered by JMS at Comic Con this year.

I'm hoping for more good news to come out on August 8, rather than just a happy birthday greeting from the cast which was the only thing we got last year
Old 07-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Just a fan

Another Clayton interview I was able to find: https://www.incinemas.sg/article-details.aspx?id=2694

Quote:
Qn: The sexy and intimate scenes...

Clayton: We (sensates cast) are like brothers and sisters now. Filming those scenes are not easy… it’s not easy for all of us as I believe all of us have some sort of insecurities. You have to get completely naked and it can be very, very intimidating.

What I felt was really interesting is that friends of the media and even friends of mine have said to me: “Oh! What is it with these sex scenes, with these orgies that are so over the top?” But nobody wants to talk about the violence. Once you show two women having sex or two men kissing or sex with more than 2 people -and in some of the scenes, we are not even together, it was sort of an emotional connection- people panic again and say we’re pushing agendas.

As far as the sex is concerned, we are literally not showing anything that people are not doing it already. You just might not have seen it before. And it is only as big of a deal as you want to make it. I mean they’re great and they’re beautifully shot. I think the people who can see past that, they see the empathy and that’s what the show is about.
Quote:
Qn: With this show, you get to travel to many countries around the world. Where do you hope Nomi travels next?

Clayton: I’m so glad you asked that question! The cast, we always have a fantasy list of where we want to go. If there’s a season 3, we want to go to Japan, travel to Paris, and Australia! Those are my top 3 actually. We were filming in Korea for a while, about three and a half weeks. A couple of us had this secret plan to sneak away during our off-days to get from Korea to Japan, but they (production team) changed our schedules and that none of us was able to go. We really wanted to explore Japan!
Lol... Ain't happening now, is it? Well.. maybe Paris!!

Moving on, aside of the water tanks in Malta (see: https://lovinmalta.com/lifestyle/art...pecial-episode ), this literally-blink-and-you'll-miss-it snippet from the Archipelago scene was also filmed there: https://en-gb.facebook.com/FilmedinM...54625087601048

Quote:
Filmed in Malta: Have you been watching Sense8 close enough? East street once again imortalised on screen.
Lana on Malta: http://www.worldoflocations.com/europe/malta/

Quote:
Lana Wachowski, co-director, Netflix’s Sense8, says:

“I felt very inspired here, because it looks so incredibly diverse. I feel like I should write an entire script and base it here in Malta.”
Same website, Lana on Amsterdam: http://www.worldoflocations.com/europe/netherlands/

Quote:
Lana Wachowski, co-director, Netflix’s Sense8, says:

“The light is extraordinary. For a filmmaker it’s quite fortunate because it changes and it’s so moody and so tempestuous. And it’s here and it’s beautiful, and it’s gone and it’s grey and black. And it gives you something you could’ve wished for.”

Would she come back?

Yes.
Info on how many days and where they shot in Scotland:
https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/filming
https://ms-my.facebook.com/argylland...24533324449931

Quote:
Netflix Sense8 Season 2 aired on May 5th 2017 spent 9 days filming around Ardkinglas Estate and Castle Stalker last summer.
Interview with Mumbi Maina (Zakia): https://www.kenyabuzz.com/lifestyle/...nse8-interview

Quote:
KENYABUZZ: Were you a Sense8 fan before Season 2?
MUMBI: Yes, a huge fan!

KENYABUZZ: How did you get the role of Zakia in the show?
MUMBI: I was called for an audition. After two call backs, one of which they flew me and the other actress to Berlin for the final decision, I got the role.

KENYABUZZ: There's a lot going on with Zakia. Tell me about the character and what she means to you.
MUMBI: I fell in love with the character Zakia as soon as I got the script. She is a strong, educated and empowered African woman. I loved her authenticity and open mindedness.
Quote:
KENYABUZZ: What was it like working with the legendary Wachowskis?
MUMBI: I met Lana Wachowski during my second and third (final) audition. It was mind blowing. She has an amazing mind.

KENYABUZZ: Who’s your favourite character from the show? Except Zakia of course.
MUMBI: Goodness that's a tough one! All of the characters bring something so special to the show. I'm torn between Lito, Wolfgang and Sun.

KENYABUZZ: Same here, Lito is so lovable.
MUMBI: Absolutely!
Onwumere interview: https://lasentinel.net/toby-onwumere...s-sense-8.html

Quote:
Q: If you could choose to live in three places— simultaneously—where would that be and why?

Toby Onwumere: Great question. ‘If i could choose to be 3 places, they would have to be:

a. Owerri, Nigeria. My mom and dad as well as most of my extended family are there right now and I haven’t seen them in some time.

b. The coast of Croatia. I have never been, but I am dying to go, and it easily looks like one of the most beautiful places in the world.

c. Berghain in Berlin. I think I will leave [why] it at that.
LOL! More on what Berghain is, here: http://www.jmsnews.com/Forums/showpo...&postcount=556

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Just a fan

Quote:
http://www.lemonde.fr/m-actu/article...0_4497186.html

(Translation: )

Quote:

A summer atmosphere hovers over Berlin. On September 12, 2016, the film crew of the American series Sense8, whose second season will be broadcast on Netflix at the beginning of May, settled on a football field located in the heart of the Hansaviertel district, in the center of the German capital. On the synthetic lawn, about twenty amateur actors, young athletic youngsters, are waiting bare-chested and looking for a corner of shadow.

Around, a host of technicians are busy preparing the scene: they readjust decorative elements, check the details of the scenario, manipulate the cameras. Behind a combo (monitor that is used to watch the catch), the head of the set, Marco Giacalone, watches with concern his watch, which now shows 11 am. "Everything must be ready when she arrives, " he said. We take care of the technique, the details, so that she feels free and can fully express her visions. "

A baroque, sexy and spectacular universe.

She is Lana Wachowski, co-author with her sister Lilly of some of the biggest blockbusters of the last twenty years, the Matrix trilogy, Speed ​​Racer or Cloud Atlas, avant-garde, explosive films that reinvented the imagination Hollywood. She is now in Berlin to shoot a new episode of Sense8 . And refuses the interviews, leaving it to its teams to evoke this series considered by critics as one of the most ambitious and successful creations of the American audiovisual landscape since its first broadcast in June 2015. Netflix does not communicate on its hearings , It is impossible to know that of the series.

Sense8, created by the Sisters Wachowski, in collaboration with screenwriter J. Michael Straczynski, depicts a choral story, in which eight characters on different continents (an Icelandic DJ, a Kenyan bus driver, ...
The rest of the article is behind a paywall.. but, hey, we discovered where the football (soccer for you Americans) stadium was... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansaviertel
I bought the article.

Translated highlights:

Quote:
"It will be much more crazy and spectacular. There will be more shooting locations, more 'drama', more action, more conflict, more sex. Lana remained faithful to her motto: 'The More, the Better'!", said South Korean actress Bae Doona, who portrays a businesswoman expert in martial arts.
Quote:
In 137 days of filming, she trained her technical team in Bombay, Nairobi, Reykjavik, Seoul, Mexico City, London, Chicago, pursuing her dream of a globalized series. "Lana investigated each country, gathered information, interviewed the locals, chose the scenery with crazy precision," reports executive producer Grant Hill. "It's a pure political gesture," continues the actress Tuppence Middleton, who plays the heroine Riley Blue. "Sense8 shows a total universe in which there are no borders, barriers between individuals. Lana thought of his series as a response to the political drifts of the time. She imagined a utopia against reactionary fashion, Brexit and all nationalist movements."
Quote:
"Lana told me that Sense8 is her most intimate creation, says Jamie Clayton, the transgender actress who plays the character of Nomi Marks. It wants to give a more positive image of LGBT people, to get away from the victim's representations in the pop culture. In Sense8, gay and transgender people are powerful, proud people. They are empowerment figures. "

For the second season, Lana Wachowski even pushed further the slider of free sex. "The ass scenes go beyond anything you can imagine," says Miguel Angel Silvestre, the interpreter of the Mexican Lito Rodriguez. "Lana is completely uninhibited this season; She has incredible ideas. We shot a group sex scene for which she had a bathtub built and used light cameras that flew around us like butterflies." The sex scenes between the heroes are not free, and give freedom to the series.
Quote:
"The script does not matter at all on the set," says Max Riemelt, who pitches the German robber Wolfgang Bogdanow." Lana feels very quickly when a scene is not authentic. She asks us to be without a filter and not to be afraid of our emotions. It's a very strange method, which has nothing to do with the cinema, the theater or regular TV series."
I also searched for a Season 1 paywalled article I was remembering to have encountered back in 2015, to see if it's cheap enough to buy it.. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...ow-nttmrwb6vg8

Turns out "The Times" now allow access to 2 articles/week if you register so I didn't have to pay a cent..

Here are some highlights:

(Again, this is a season 1 article, but I don't think it's such a big deal to post it here instead of bumping one of season 1's threads..)

Interview conducted while filming the show's last scene, which the reporter didn't know about and spoiled it, lol!

Quote:
This isn’t how I expected the future of TV to look. In Reykjavik’s Old Harbour at sunset, a crew are filming on a small boat filled with what look like models from the United Colours of Benetton. A beautiful, peroxide-bobbed DJ is administering an injection to an ailing cop, surrounded by, among others, a Kenyan bus driver, an Indian pharmacist, a Korean businesswoman and a transgender San Franciscan. Most of them are dressed entirely inappropriately for the near-freezing temperature.
Quote:
“A lot of time you’ll see sci-fi written like guys who are afraid of girls,” says Joe Michael Straczynski, the show’s co-creator and executive producer, of its “mature” themes. “But there was a time in the 1970s where you had the new wave of science fiction that dealt with identity and culture, psychology and sexuality, and other top-button issues. That’s what we’re looking more towards.”
Quote:
On set in Reykjavik, Lana is a gregarious, fuchsia-haired presence, directing the actors at close quarters as the camera rolls away for 15 minutes at a time — “Look like a scared puppy,” she advises the stricken cop — while the hooded, bear-like Andy tends to stay back with the monitors, supervising the visual side.

The Korean star Bae Doona, who plays the Seoul character, is a veteran of Cloud Atlas and the Wachowskis’ recent space opera, Jupiter Ascending, and explains in halting English: “Andy and Lana are like one tree. Andy is like a trunk or root; Lana is like the leaves or flowers. Lana like a mum, Andy the dad. But sometimes they are like one person.” This isn’t, it should be said, representative of the show’s dialogue.
15 minute long takes even in season 1!

Quote:
Yet there are limits to this laissez faire approach, as the executive producer Grant Hill notes. “Yes, there’s a creative freedom, but it’s still a very interactive process — Netflix do give notes, they study everything that’s been written, that’s being filmed. But it’s not from a notes-enforcement point of view. It’s like: ‘We’re partners in this, in looking at it, reading it, this is what we’re feeling’.”
Finally, there's one last paywalled article (about season 2) I am aware of.. http://www.volkskrant.nl/media/amste...nse8~a4492644/

Interviews conducted while in Amsterdam, probably. Unfortunately I don't see a way of buying just (this) one article. You have to become a subscriber, and this isn't something I want to experiment with currently (I don't know how easy it would be to cancel, I don't even speak the language).

But if one has access to the article, please do share some highlights... I did my part

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Just a fan

Scratch that, managed to get access to it. Here are translated highlights from the Volkskrant article:

Quote:
If Director Lana Wachowski (51) on the set of her extremely imaginative Netflix series Sense8 opened her pink laptop, the actors held their breath.

"Turns out the scene you just have prepared meticulously has been re-written,"
says actor Brian j. Smith, that plays the traumatized police officer Will.
Quote:
The well-known actor Daryl Hannah, known for feature films as Blade Runner and Kill Bill, thinks filmmaker Wachowski feels more free since her sister Lilly has temporarily stopped directing. "Lana is currently feeling unbound. She is already inspired by the air around her."
Quote:
Actor Brian J. Smith: "Every sentence and every scene in Sense8 has a message. Lana writes expres unnatural dialogues. The characters talk without saying 'ehm' or 'like', and without thought breaks. The structure of the story is above all. She hopes to convey a greater truth. In that sense, it is quite Brechtian. She would like to emphasize the artificial of a played dialogue."
Quote:
The cast members swear by the "creative freedom" that gives them the owner-driven approach. She forces her actors to play dialogues in an 'absurd number of variations'. During the rehearsal, she encourages them to start randomly in a text, instead of neatly over and over again from the beginning. "Testing different energies," Wachowski calls that.

Hannah: "The only Director with whom I can compare Lana is Robert Altman (Daryl Hannah starred in Altman's The Gingerbread Man, ed.). He also was expecting his actors that they remained in their active role at any time, even if you did not appear at all. On his set everyone was wearing a microphone, you never knew whether it was on or off. Lana thinks of an awful lot of things at once. Her brain is sometimes so complex that it is almost impossible to understand what they mean."
The interviews have been conducted during filming of Jonas' flashback at the trainstation. There's some overlap with the SciFiNow interview, a few lines which I have mostly omitted from these excerpts (still, Lana's pink computer I haven't deleted), as I guess both reporters attended the same set visit.

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:

Quote:
For the second season, Lana Wachowski even pushed further the slider of free sex. "The ass scenes go beyond anything you can imagine," says Miguel Angel Silvestre, the interpreter of the Mexican Lito Rodriguez. "Lana is completely uninhibited this season; She has incredible ideas. We shot a group sex scene for which she had a bathtub built and used light cameras that flew around us like butterflies." The sex scenes between the heroes are not free, and give freedom to the series.
Was there a group sex scene where they were in a bathtub? Or was that cut out? Like there was only the orgy in the Christmas Special, and none of the sensates were in a bathtub at that time (Will and Riley on a bed; Lito and Hernando in a bathroom stall; and Nomi and Amanita at Goat Hill Park for their "sexnic").

I do remember Miguel and Brian giggling about a "bathtub scene" at Comic Con last November/December though so I'm guessing this was it? lol
Old 07-12-2017, 04:25 AM
Just a fan

Dunno. Could be Miguel used the wrong word in English / the French reporter used the wrong word in French, or it could be a deleted scene or deleted variation of a scene. For one these "light" (small) cameras he's talking about..? I mean the special's orgy had several close ups, so I don't know if he means something like that, or something we just haven't seen.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Just a fan

I still have stuff to post about the second season from my bookmarks (but I also have to do a lot of maintenance/archiving/... stuff, so it will take a while).

Set visit during Lito's birthday party celebration with Hernando and Daniela going to dance salsa. http://www.economiaynegocios.cl/noti....asp?id=357456

(Translations: )

Quote:
In the large lounge, with disco ball lights, neon signs that read "Salsa" and tables with long red tablecloths, the Cuban band Buena Vista Social Club is heard in the background. Then comes the shout of "silence, please" and the scene begins. The Spanish actor Miguel Angel Silvestre, who in the series plays Lito, an actor living in Mexico City, quickly descends the stairs and walks among the guests, greeting and receiving congratulations.

It's his birthday party.
Quote:
-"When I read the script for 'Sense8' for the first time, I said, 'Oh, God, what is this?' I had to read it like three times to understand it," confesses Jamie Clayton, who gives life to Nomi, a transgender who lives with her partner in San Francisco, who writes a political blog and has hacking skills, about the complexity of the plot.

-"We now know more about what we are doing and we are confident that whatever we do during the recording, it will look good. Before we thought all the time: 'What is this camera doing here behind?', 'Why am I doing that?'", says Tuppence Middleton, who plays DJ Riley Blue.

-"The scripts give you a lot of information about your character, but as it is science fiction, naturally questions arise, and Lana sometimes answers, but others she doesn't. And you spend a good deal of time confused," says Indian actress Tina Desai, Kala in the series, a pharmaceutical chemistry that is committed to a man she does not want.
Quote:
Brian J. Smith, the actor who portrays police officer Will Gorski, agrees.

-"The series is about the ability to put yourself in the other's place. What does a DJ from Iceland, who takes ecstasy, have to do with a Chicago policeman? But there they are. That makes you think that you can connect with others, however different they may be from you."

The recordings of the second season were strenuous. The cast and staff were seven consecutive months in filming, traveling from city to city. The actors tell that they had to put clothes for at least five different climates in their suitcases, and although some appreciate it, like Jamie - "to have this kind of experiences is the new luxury", she says - to others the intense pace passed them account.

-"Your body goes through strange things: rashes appear, your sleep patterns are altered, you get sick. I had to take probiotics because when I finished last season my immune system collapsed and I had all sorts of diseases. But in the end you learn to take care of yourself. I'm perfect now," says Brian J. Smith, pounding his chest.

Tina Desai says that, more than the physical, the hardest is the emotional cost.

"Sometimes you do not know if it's day or night or what city you're going to wake the next day ... but let's just say it's a fun problem to have. The only bad thing is being away from your family."

"You kiss your loved ones farewell and you know you will not see them until seven months later. And there are 30 people who go with us everywhere, and those people also leave their families. Then you have to really believe in the series, feel it's worth it. And for me it's worth it, because it does have something to say," says Brian, convinced.
And since I posted the other one a little above, here is another season 1 paywalled article: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/medien/se...rmal-1.2498745

Register for 14-day free access..

Set visit during the scene where Wolfgang goes to his uncle's house.

Quote:
But first to Berlin, one of the stations in the global carousel. Several kilometers outside the city, in front of an old mansion, stands the German director Tom Tykwer. Cameras, spotlights, film people whisper around. It is October 2014, from the trees trickle leaves, which are immediately swept away. In the series it is supposed to be early summer, because Sense8 goes to the start. Tykwer, one of five international directors at the project, has been running films like Lola and Cloud Atlas experience with sophisticated materials, making television for the first time. And how is that? "Super new and different," says Tykwer. "So fast and so much in a day pressed."

Tykwer gives the young actor Max Riemelt a sign. One knows it from the television series Im Angesicht des Verbrechens, he hunted as a policeman the Berlin Russenmafia. In Sense8, Riemelt himself is at the Mafia, and it is just at the Berlin Villa. Camera off, sound running, Riemelt jumps up the stone steps. "You're doing too much pressure, can fix that?" says Tykwer. Tykwer, Wuschelkopf, pleasant voice, has in the Gewusel something from a Tourguide, which must be an international travel group.
Quote:
And this is the production. In six months, the eight young actors have shot in eight cities and in Iceland, and they come from all over the world. There is the Indian woman Tena Desae, 28, a delicate woman with black curls. She studied business management in Bangalore and was supposed to marry like her character. The acting was an opportunity for her to get away. "My father puts 5000 restrictions on me, but here I can do everything, and he accepts it." Doona Bae, a Korean woman who is actually a model and is doing battle sports, is enthusiastic about how beautiful nature was at the shoot in Nairobi. Only the wild animals would not have been allowed to film them, so a donkey was painted as a zebra. The California girl Jamie Clayton, nerd glasses, tattoos in her arms, thinks she would like to live in Berlin like so many Americans. "I could go here at once," she says, snapping her fingers - "so fast."
Painted donkey?! LOL!

Quote:
At the set in Berlin, it begins to dawn. In the ballroom of the mansion, the chandeliers go, the film-boat moves in, for the last scenes. An "easy day" lies behind Tykwer, "otherwise it is twice as much as on a film turning day, and that every time". Max Riemelt says he will cook for the other seven. This is how the actors in every city, the Californian tells that she did not want to go to sleep while in Seoul at all, it was so exciting. "Where are we right now?" Suddenly the Indian asked, "in Iceland?" And for a moment, she does not seem to know whether she is in the script or in life.

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-15-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:38 AM

Bathtub

Hello! Long time lurker here.

When I read the bathtub part of the interview I remembered this behind the scenes picture from Korea (posted on the official Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/p/BM9SBD1hOJM/ ) :

Could this be the love hotel where Sun stays. It would be a pretty obvious place to have a sex scene take place in...

It drives crazy, knowing that there is so much material that was shot we will never see (unless they release it like they did with the dancehall/birthday scene)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Just a fan

Welcome! Nice find (or memory)! I don't know.. it could be! For one, when the interview took place they had already finished filming in Seoul, so it's not incompatible with the timetable of the filming.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:55 AM
Just a fan

Middleton interviews:

Starting with the best one: https://tvshowpatrol.com/interviews/...leton-netflix/

Quote:
But this show is just unlike any other TV show I’ve seen or read. So when we took this on I was aware that the journey was going to be very interesting as the character and as an actor. There were lots of things that I’ve had to do just in that first season, which I’ve never had to do in any other job. I was giving birth, being in a car crash; it was a real thrill to tackle all those kinds of things. And there’s more to come in the second season.
How she makes herself cry as an actor for the scenes that require it:

Quote:
So for me, it helps if I’m always in the eyes of that character. I just think about some of those things that happened to her—losing a baby and being in a car crash and losing the love of her life. When you’re filming on a freezing cold hill in Iceland, that helps. And there’s a helicopter circling you, which is making you even colder. So all of that kind of stuff helps—the whole atmosphere. The sets are always so beautiful and convincing, the lighting is great and you just feel really in that zone.

And Lana is very good at kind of bringing you into that moment and kind of judging the tone of the scene. So if it’s something emotional she’s kind of quieter. If it’s an action thing she’s screaming. She really kind of feeds that energy onset as well, which is helpful.
On whether the live births were real (I had already pointed out before the show even came out that they weren't):

Quote:
The birth montage was incredible. How was that done? Did she film real births or was it movie magic?

It was crazy prosthetics. They have an amazing team on this. Lana probably has filmed quite a few fake births before, so they kind of know what they’re doing. But it was times eight so each one had to be slightly different. … It’s kind of amazing the varieties of birth they’ve managed to capture in that montage.

They’re just very good at creating those kinds of images. It looks completely real and I think what was amazing about that is the camera doesn’t turn away. It’s there. We’re seeing everything, which I think is an amazing thing. She’s not scared to go there.

Most people have experience with someone—friends, families, themselves—have gone through giving birth. It happens, so why shouldn’t we show that? It’s a beautiful thing. Everyone is worried about being shocked or shocking an audience and I think actually on this show they’re really not scared to go there. That’s really refreshing.
On how sex-positive scenes shock people:

Quote:
The first season [pool] scene has been branded [an orgy], which it isn’t actually an orgy. People were like, “Oh my God.” But I’ve seen much more graphic and kind of shocking scenes. I think people just strangely have an odd reaction to seeing sex in such a positive light. Lana has a really amazing sex-positive message in the show across genders, sexualities, races. For some people, I think, it’s quite sort of a lot to see that. But we all do it!
The most important one: what is Riley's "skill" according to Middleton:

Quote:
Speaking of strengths, what were yours?

I remember a meme on the Internet of all the characters: You’re fighting and Brian’s is a cop. And Riley is a DJ. What is it exactly that you do?

I think Riley was kind of the emotional heart of the group. Riley and Will, I always felt, were kind the parents of the cluster in an emotional kind of way. I feel like that’s what Riley’s strength is, fighting through the emotional vulnerability and she possesses the inner strength that comes from overcoming tragedy.

You brought people together emotionally through music, which I thought was pretty cool.

I think there’s something very kind of amazing and tribal about dancing and music and that kind of shared experience.
Thank you!!

Quote:
When he looked into Whispers’ eyes … how was that moment for you?

Even though I was there when we filmed it I was like, “No, no, no!” when I saw it. And the amount of times we went down in that lift! Terrence was standing there and we had to film him while moving in the lift and we missed it a lot.
So we had to go up and down the lift several times just to get that moment. And then they slowed it down really slow. It was funny.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...-netflix-riley

Quote:
“I have always thought Riley to be like a mother to the sensates,” Middleton says. “She is diplomatic and caring and always tries to keep the others happy. She feels their pain very deeply and is always there to listen. She has the ability to unite people and put herself in another's shoes, which is something that should never be underestimated.”

“I think that moment in the club where she bares her soul to a room full of strangers and risks her anonymity and her safety is a moment that really defines her true nature and her development as a character. It feels completely natural for her to fall into this role and to push herself to discover as much as she can about her new way of life,” she continues. “If something or someone that she cares about is threatened, then she will fight till the bitter end.”

And in fighting back against B.P.O., Riley “gets to take back some of that power and protect her new family in whatever way she can.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand...g-nude-scenes/

^ Register for free access.

The special's orgy scene:

Quote:
“That scene always gets talked about because it’s something you don’t really see on TV that much – or, in fact, ever,” says Middleton, sitting cross-legged on a chair in the London hotel where she is promoting Sense8’s second season. “I’m sure it’s one of those things that will follow me around but I’m really proud of the way it was shot.”

Before shooting that scene, across four different locations, the director Lana Wachowski explained to the actors what she hoped to achieve. “Lana pointed out that actors never quibble over playing roles in which they have to use guns to shoot people. She said that sex is a much more natural and common part of life than violence,” says Middleton. “Most people you meet will have had sex but will never have handled a gun. She said she wanted to change the idea that the latter was fun but the sex was shameful.”
On how she feels about doing sex scenes:

Quote:
She’s happy to do risque if required and just as happy not to.

“I think there’s an assumption that if you get your kit off or show certain body parts in one project, you’re then going to do it in another – and that’s not necessarily true. You have to be one hundred per cent behind what a sex scene or nude scene is saying.”
Minor stuff: https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/s...ersity-in-film

And finally this 2015 piece about her contains a quote by Lana describing Middleton: http://www.flaunt.com/content/people/tuppence-middleton

Quote:
“She can do anything and when a part requires her to work with something dark buried in her heart, she can be absolutely magic.”
Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 AM
Just a fan

Silvestre interview: http://starrymag.com/miguel-angel-silvestre-sense8/

Quote:
Q) What was your most difficult scene to film?

A) Probably it’s not the most difficult, but the one that surprised me the most was the parade we were doing in Sao Paolo.
I remember Lana put these beautiful lines and said she wanted me to do them in front of the audience in the gay parade San Paolo. I’m going to hide the camera so no one knows we are filming so people are going to think that you are doing it for real, but it is Miguel doing this statement. I just want to mix fiction with reality. I want to see the reactions and the way you deliver. So, I was working so hard with the lines because I knew I needed them to know my heart. I knew there would probably be only one or two takes so I remember when I was getting ready for the scene and the people were cheering. When Lana said, “Action,” I started delivering the lines and all the strategy I had in my mind went away because the reaction from the audience I was getting was so big. The love I was getting from the audience, I completely forgot the strategy I had for that scene. So, it became very real and spontaneous. In a way, I was not the owner of my expression. They were giving me so much that I completely lost my mind in a way. So, when we get to see the first take it was beyond…It’s something that I am never going to forget and the experience I had with the warmth and all the reactions from the almost four million people in the crowd. Those are the kinds of scenes I am going to remember forever.
How did he like the second season:

Quote:
Q) We haven’t gotten to see much of Lito’s backstory. Were you hoping that in the future we could have explored that more?

A) I don’t know. It’s so surprising what is in the Wachowski sisters minds. I remember I was trying to guess where they were going to go or in which direction a new episode was going to go. I always failed. [laughs] Their minds go beyond where my mind can go. I stopped making guesses. I would have loved for them to go there. Also the show is so alive in the editing room. I got very surprised when I saw the season, which by the way I really liked. I thought it was a beautiful step from the first season that steps into another dimension and adds some new characters that I thought it was very well done. That’s what I told the Wachowski sisters. I told them they did a great job and I really enjoyed it as an audience.
Quote:
Q) What have been some of your most memorable moments from behind the scenes?

A) I guess this year I remember I was watching Doona Bae doing a scene where we were all in Korea. Sometimes I like to go to see my friends and I like to hear the takes. Lana doesn’t like to cut the takes. So, some of the takes last twenty minutes and they leave the microphones on because while Lana is talking something can happen and then later in the editing room they can use it. So, the nice thing is through the monitor you can hear all of the directions Lana is giving to the actor. I find it very inspiring and interesting to see the scene and then hear what she has to say and her directions. I think it’s so interesting and I felt it was beautiful to hear her directions to Doona Bae where she was at the graveyard talking to her parents. That is something that stays in my mind. I really liked it. I enjoyed it a lot. I think it’s so beautiful the way that Lana directs because she speaks in metaphors so she doesn’t directly say what she wants. She tries to look for it through you. So, that’s why she doesn’t tell you to do something this way or that way. I guess Lana is also interested in Doona’s culture since her directions to her were completely different to me than what she gave her. That was really interesting.
Lana always being against portraying the characters as tormented:

Quote:
Q) Most responses we received from fans were to thank you and express gratitude for the character. Was that something you expected when you took on this role?

A) I always say when they tell me that I feel very thankful that I can work with two directors that are so committed and that have the gift to put it in words and put it into a show. I feel very thankful. It is always very nice when I go to the supermarket and someone says, “That scene reminds me of a moment in my life.” Or “Thank you for doing the role.” I think that Lana and Lilly have such a beautiful point of a view about life and diversity that gives voice to many people that they give thanks to finally be portrayed in a human way – not tormented – in a show. So, when they say that to me I say thanks to Lana. I am the lucky one to have been a part of her painting which is a painting that I completely believe and it is a painting that when she tells me “do this” I don’t even hesitate because I know how committed she is to the beauty and meaning of anything they do. That’s why when Lana says, “Do this,” “do that” or “kiss this person” or “take off your clothes” I don’t even judge – I just jump to it because I know it is going to land in a beautiful place and in a beautiful taste. I believe in their taste and their point of view. I know they would never make something feel inauthentic. I really believe in that. I remember when I met Lana that she said something that was very important to me. Sometimes I’m going to ask you to things that are not going to feel real to you, but this is the way I see. This is the utopia that I want to portray. I don’t want to portray LGBT people are tormented. Not anymore. I just want your nephew to see this one day and think this is normal. Once I went to New York where I saw an exposition of a painter named Kerry James Marshall who is a black painter. He decided to celebrate black people and depict black people in positive ways – never in misery, slavery or any negativity. You see two black people dancing in a living room and you see food in their dishes. So, it’s like there is a wealth. You see a sunset and you see a beautiful kiss or a beautiful black women in a sexy way – but never depicting any negativity. I decided to read about this guy and he basically said, “This is what I want to show to the world. I don’t want to put any emphasis on anything that was painful for us in the past because this is my present and the way I want the future to look like.” So, I started to understand what Lana was saying. If she told me, “I don’t want you to cry here. I even want to add some humor here because I don’t want people to think ‘Poor guy. He’s so tormented. No, no, no. I don’t want to portray that. I don’t want to put any emphasis on that.’” So, knowing that I just said to Lana, “You can ask whatever you want form me. I’ll just jump and do it.”
And I really enjoyed that aspect of the show!

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-18-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: