JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Confirmed User

Well that's depressing. No mention of a petition to get Netflix to reconsider though. Probably won't get renewed regardless but some people at the live chat for customer service at netflix are even encouraging to sign the petition lol. Wonder if he'll answer any tweets regarding what they would have planned to have happened in the future (like if they save Wolfgang or not, or if Capheus wins the election)
Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Just a fan

Here is a list of things fans can do to show their support, including signing the aforementioned petition: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sense8/comm...elago_what_we/

Probably nothing will work, but hey, it can't hurt to click!

edit http://ww-n-double-d.tumblr.com/post...1-866-579-7172

Quote:
Call Netflix 1-866-579-7172

I spoke with a very nice man who told me that making phone calls is absolutely the #1 thing they look for: verbal complaints.
People who are actually going out of their way to pick up a phone and express their disappointment. He said the complaint goes straight to HQ because they have really been focusing on customer feedback lately. Don’t get me wrong, all of the internet submissions, petitions, and hashtags all make a difference (sense8 is trending world wide once again on twitter) but this is the way to get straight to the source. (He also let me know they have been receiving phone calls non stop all day about this, so let’s keep it going!)

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-01-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Confirmed User

I have been trying to say something for hours and I am still speechless.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 PM
[Zathras Conspiracy]

I just cancelled my Netflix subscription. Sense8 was what made me sign up. Screw them.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:07 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Yeah, I think it's well and truly dead. This sucks. I hope the phones continue to ring off the hook at Netflix, but if all the contracts have lapsed... yeah...

Personally, I am thankful Netflix gave the show a chance, I can think of no other Network that would have. If the numbers didn't add up, so be it. I can believe it, it must have been hella expensive to make, the air fares alone!

TBH, Iron Fist deserved the cancellation more. That was awful pap, but it's Marvel, so it's going to float no matter what.

Kosh: Good!
Old 06-02-2017, 01:51 AM
Just a fan

Yeah, I'm absolutely 100% grateful at Netflix for making it in the first place! But fans do have a reason to be angry at them.

For a long time Netflix were assumed that they wouldn't outright cancel a show, but instead they would tell their showrunners "the numbers are not good enough, you have 1 final season". So especially since season 2 of Sense8 ended with a cliffhanger there was the assumption that we would be getting at the very least a final season. Even if it was going to be like.. 8 or 6 episodes only. But they wouldn't just say "not good enough, thanks, and bye!" to the creators and the fans.

But the recent cancellations of several of their shows have shown that if they ever cared about protecting the fans investment in a show, they no longer do. If the numbers are good; fantastic. If not, the show is getting the axe.

That's understandable, but fans and even journalists, had a different image of the network in their heads. And even if in the end Netflix are not to (fully) blame for Sense8, and for example a big reason for the cancellation is that some cast members didn't renew, or Lana peed on the set, Doona kicked the crap out of everyone, Trump cursed the production, or whatever.. since no one has published an official or unofficial explanation.. people don't know where to direct their frustration but Netflix.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-02-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:54 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
Yeah, I'm absolutely 100% grateful at Netflix for making it in the first place! But fans do have a reason to be angry at them.

For a long time Netflix were assumed that they wouldn't outright cancel a show, but instead they would tell their showrunners "the numbers are not good enough, you have 1 final season". So especially since season 2 of Sense8 ended with a cliffhanger there was the assumption that we would be getting at the very least a final season. Even if it was going to be like.. 8 or 6 episodes only. But they wouldn't just say "not good enough, thanks, and bye!" to the creators and the fans.

But the recent cancellations of several of their shows have shown that if they ever cared about protecting the fans investment in a show, they no longer do. If the numbers are good; fantastic. If not, the show is getting the ax.

That's understandable, but fans and even journalists, had a different image of the network in their heads. And even if in the end Netflix are not to (fully) blame for Sense8, and for example a big reason for the cancellation is that some cast members didn't renew, or Lana peed on the set, Doona kicked the crap out of everyone, Trump cursed the production, or whatever.. since no one has published an official or unofficial explanation.. people don't know where to direct their frustration but Netflix.
True, I would like to see some clarification from the creators on the WHY of things. I guess it's a bit raw at present, and perhaps something will follow soon. As you say 'no scoop' yet. Is anyone brave enough to ask JMS on twitter? (I don't tweet)

Last edited by Ubik; 06-02-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Change.org petition is at 192k signatories and rising! I just signed.

https://www.change.org/p/netflixlat-...ason-3-renewal

I just logged onto Netflix live chat at their customer service portal and expressed my discontent. They suggested filling out the following form, enter 'Sense8 Season 3' in all three fields.

Suggest anyone that gives a damn does this. Takes a few minutes at most. If you want to phone them, even better.

Whilst I doubt it will get renewed, still good to make some god damn noise.

Last edited by Ubik; 06-02-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:14 AM
Just a fan

Very informative tweets by JMS:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...62308447100928

Quote:
you could have AT LEAST given us an ending in a special single episode without a S3. This is just disrespectful towards the fans. #sense8

That requires knowing that this would happen. If we had, we would've; we didn't, so we didn't.
Quote:
But fans are so passionate,it's such a high quality show. Can't we get, at least, a single final episode?The show deserves it.We deserve it.

We are equally passionate about it. Alas a one-off deal can't be made given costs of crew, cast, others, and it's not our call, it's Netflix

The moment a show isn't renewed, all the cast and crew split up to take long-term jobs that can't be left to do one hour.

Honestly not intending to rain on the parade more than it is already raining, just to explain what is contractually possible.
Quote:
It's not my call of me or that of anyone involved with the show. None of us has that authority, only Netflix does. Yelling at wrong person.
Quote:
No, thank you for explaining us thing we can't know. We are just very upset. We just wanted an ending. The show was incredibly good,

Thank you...all of us who made the show are saddened by the situation as well. Alas, such unhappy breaks are the nature of the business.
Quote:
@straczynski what is contractually possible? In what ways can we help?

If there was anything, however tiny, that any of us thought could help, contractually or otherwise, we'd be bellowing it loud.
Quote:
We're all still here, in our individual paths; this won't be the last inclusive, diverse show I or the others intend to do. You have my word
Well, at least it does seem like it was a decision by Netflix rather than some of the cast not willing to renew. But very sad he doesn't think it's possible that they can make a final telefilm/special of sorts that wraps up the cliffhanger etc. That basically Netflix are not interested at all in the Sense8 brand, no matter how much the cost is reduced.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-02-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:20 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Well, at least it does seem like it was a decision by Netflix rather than some of the cast not willing to renew. But very sad he doesn't think it's possible that they can make a final telefilm/special of sorts that wraps up the cliffhanger etc. That basically Netflix are not interested at all in the Sense8 brand, no matter how much the cost is reduced.
Personally, i wouldn't want a two hour special or anything like it to conlcude the show. It would need a full final season to do the mythology and universe any justice! Seems we'll just have to be happy with what we got.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:25 AM
Just a fan

I would happily take it a 3-hour(or -episode) special that wraps up the cliffhanger, shows there's a strong group inside BPO fighting for change and ends on the note that this isn't a fight that can be won overnight but "as long as we are together nothing is impossible". The end.

Also Brian J. Smith just tweeted the reason for the cancellation; low viewership, high cost. https://twitter.com/BrianJacobSmith/...98910749822976

Quote:
You all are putting up an incredible fight. We hear you and it's so moving. But not enough people watched the show and it's $$$ to produce.
So there's that.

edit Petition is at over 200K now and going strong.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-02-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:26 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
I would happily take it a 3-hour(or -episode) special that wraps up the cliffhanger, shows there's a strong group inside BPO fighting for change and ends on the note that this isn't a fight that can be won overnight but "as long as we are together nothing is impossible". The end.

Also Brian J. Smith just tweeted the reason for the cancellation; low viewership, high cost. https://twitter.com/BrianJacobSmith/...98910749822976

So there's that.
Thought as much. It was incredibly ambitious, and the expensive shows are always the first to go if they don't make the numbers. I am surprised they weren't given the option to look at doing S3 on a more constrained budget, perhaps set primarily in London. Could still have been excellent without all the globetrotting. It doesn't seem like the creators were approached at all and this was just handed down from on high. Sigh.

Last edited by Ubik; 06-02-2017 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:00 AM

I love this post on the Sense8 Facebook page SO VERY MUCH!!! In response to fans lashing out the Netflix is homophobic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Grace
Please everyone... Homophobia may have prevented closed minded people from watching the series but it has nothing to do with why Netflix cancelled it. PLEASE do not throw a charge of homophobia at Netflix. If that were the case I seriously doubt we would have seen a black lesbian using a rainbow strap on dildo to fuck a white MTF transgendered woman in the first 15 minutes of the first episode.
I don't think it could possibly have been better phrased.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-02-2017, 07:42 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Yes, I saw those 'Netlfix is anti-LGBT comments' too, pretty ridiculous when they greenlit two seasons and their programming is very progressive.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Just a fan

Another site with tips about what one can do to express their frustration to Netflix: https://renewsense8.com/ and the petition is now at 232K. I'm sure it will reach 300K easy. (Not that anything matters apparently per JMS, but it can't hurt!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: