JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
Another site with tips about what one can do to express their frustration to Netflix: https://renewsense8.com/ and the petition is now at 232K. I'm sure it will reach 300K easy. (Not that anything matters apparently per JMS, but it can't hurt!)
Wow, that site is really PRO. Props to whoever put that together so fast. God, still reeling from this. I wanted the FULL ARC of the series. I want more depth and answers god damn it!!! Have done pretty much everything on the list to aid the campaign.

Kosh: Good!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Confirmed User

God, the worst part of the cancellation is how people's interest in the show is just going to die out slowly. Has anyone tried tweeting/writing on facebook to JMS if he could spill the beans on what we could have expected in future seasons? I feel like that would give at least some kind of closure.

On another note, what do you guys think this means for the BTS documentary...? Is it just not going to be released at this point?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Just a fan

Yeah, unfortunately it no longer makes any sense to release it, as it's first and foremost a promotional tool. Releasing a documentary that is gushing about how cool and novel and groundbreaking the production is, will just anger people even more about the cancellation. (Not me, I would of course prefer having it over not having it!!!)

And also unfortunately I've read a lot of posts online from people who were looking to watch Sense8 after they finish whatever x, y, z series they watch, but "not anymore, since you guys are saying that it ends with a massive cliffhanger, no thanks!"

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-02-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately it no longer makes any sense to release it, as it's first and foremost a promotional tool. Releasing a documentary that is gushing about how cool and novel and groundbreaking the production is, will just anger people even more about the cancellation. (Not me, I would of course prefer having it over not having it!!!)

And also unfortunately I've read a lot of posts online from people who were looking to watch Sense8 after they finish whatever x, y, z series they watch, but "not anymore, since you guys are saying that it ends with a massive cliffhanger, no thanks!"
Yeah, I now honestly don't particularly want to re-watch it either, knowing the arc will never be completed. What a waste. If I knew there was an S3 on they way, I would have. Now, it seems pointless and just a total downer.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Yeah, I now honestly don't particularly want to re-watch it either, knowing the arc will never be completed. What a waste. If I knew there was an S3 on they way, I would have. Now, it seems pointless and just a total downer.
Me too, it seems like ending the show after S1 would have just made more sense now. But, it helps to stop watching just before Lila shows up in the finale and pretending that's how it ended
Old 06-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Just a fan

Kudos to the Customer Service of Netflix, in all the reports that I've read of people that have talked with them so far, they all say the reps are super kind, happy to help, and they always encourage people to call and express their feedback insisting that it does make a difference, even though they've been receiving non-stop calls about it anyway.

I also noticed a very common point in all those stories is that the reps say that they too are fans of Sense8 and are just as surprised/upset, but I don't know if they have been trained to say that so that caller calls down.

Anyway, my point is not so much that "see? they listen!" (I mean they totally do, but this is their job), but that Netflix has excellently trained, very polite, staff!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:44 PM
Confirmed User

I decided to post my questions here, the Sense8 FB group is flooded and I have noticed that people here are very intelligent and educated, always finding stuff and explaining everything
No, I don't have any questions as to "WHY", I have read everything I could, JMS tweets, what Brian explained... I get the "WHY".
1) What I don't understand and what bugs me the most and gives me no peace, and maybe you can help - what were the writers thinking with a cliffhanger like that? They should have known the cancellation was a possibility, that the business could be fickle. Did Neflix really make them feel so safe...? Season 1 had a perfect ending - both closure and potential for more. But Season 2 went way too far even if the show hadn't been cancelled (2 years waiting anyway). Why such an ending? Seems so short-sighted and irresponsible. Of course, I didn't expect everything to be answered in the finale, but at least some sort of closure, the feeling that writers would be aware that the worst could happen and giving an ending that would work in this worst case scenario. It seemed they didn't think of that at all. I don't get it Because of this cliffhanger Season 2 pretty much has NO POINT anymore!

2) Is it possible the decision was made already some time ago? It seems very suspicious - Neflix gave fans only 26 days (!) to enjoy the second season (and many people postponed it because of exam period), and only after 26 days Netflix already knew not enough people were watching? I don't believe it.

(Aplogies for my English)

Last edited by Evita; 06-02-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:41 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Kudos to the Customer Service of Netflix, in all the reports that I've read of people that have talked with them so far, they all say the reps are super kind, happy to help, and they always encourage people to call and express their feedback insisting that it does make a difference, even though they've been receiving non-stop calls about it anyway.

I also noticed a very common point in all those stories is that the reps say that they too are fans of Sense8 and are just as surprised/upset, but I don't know if they have been trained to say that so that caller calls down.

Anyway, my point is not so much that "see? they listen!" (I mean they totally do, but this is their job), but that Netflix has excellently trained, very polite, staff!
The response, at least on the online chat is definitely from a copy/paste script. I guarantee you we'd all get the same initial response. It came too fast to have been typed. But yeah, nice they have at least thought about giving fans a nice response.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:50 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita View Post
I decided to post my questions here, the Sense8 FB group is flooded and I have noticed that people here are very intelligent and educated, always finding stuff and explaining everything
No, I don't have any questions as to "WHY", I have read everything I could, JMS tweets, what Brian explained... I get the "WHY".
1) What I don't understand and what bugs me the most and gives me no peace, and maybe you can help - what were the writers thinking with a cliffhanger like that? They should have known the cancellation was a possibility, that the business could be fickle. Did Neflix really make them feel so safe...? Season 1 had a perfect ending - both closure and potential for more. But Season 2 went way too far even if the show hadn't been cancelled (2 years waiting anyway). Why such an ending? Seems so short-sighted and irresponsible. Of course, I didn't expect everything to be answered in the finale, but at least some sort of closure, the feeling that writers would be aware that the worst could happen and giving an ending that would work in this worst case scenario. It seemed they didn't think of that at all. I don't get it Because of this cliffhanger Season 2 pretty much has NO POINT anymore!

2) Is it possible the decision was made already some time ago? It seems very suspicious - Neflix gave fans only 26 days (!) to enjoy the second season (and many people postponed it because of exam period), and only after 26 days Netflix already knew not enough people were watching? I don't believe it.

(Aplogies for my English)
My best guess is that they were simply trying to ramp up the excitement. They also couldn't have known about the cancellation and were just trying to make the best finale they could. I'd never really thought about cliffhanger endings in this respect. In some ways they are a bit overused and have become a little cliche in TV.

I still feel that the final episode felt rushed and could have done with either being two episodes or being pushed into S3. Part of me would have preferred the season to end on Wolfganging being bagged by BPO. I think trying to resolve Sun's arc AND handle the Wolfgang sceario was too much for one episode and came off as a bit over-stuffed.

I agree that Netflix didn't give it long enough to trend properly for S2. I also wished they had discussed the potential of a lower budget S3 with Lana and JMS to make it work and give fans a final season.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:49 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Why such an ending? Seems so short-sighted and irresponsible.
I don't agree that they have a responsibility towards making season endings without cliffhangers just because there might be no other season. Sure, if they know that there is a good chance this will be the last, yes, it makes sense. But if not, no, I don't agree that it makes them irresponsible.

And JMS hinted they simply didn't know when he answered this about why isn't there a special episode to wrap up the cliffhanger: "That requires knowing that this would happen. If we had, we would've; we didn't, so we didn't."

Quote:
Because of this cliffhanger Season 2 pretty much has NO POINT anymore!
Ok, so the season ends without
the kidnapping of Wolfgang
and instead
they are both going to Paris
. Does this somehow make the season have more of a point? I don't agree. It has exactly the same meaning or lack of meaning as it does right now. Ending without the cliffhanger would make it less frustrating certainly, but not more meaningful.

Quote:
Is it possible the decision was made already some time ago? It seems very suspicious - Neflix gave fans only 26 days (!) to enjoy the second season (and many people postponed it because of exam period), and only after 26 days Netflix already knew not enough people were watching? I don't believe it.
We knew Netflix wanted to keep the cast on hold "until June" (whether that means May 31, June 30, or anything in between we don't know). And producer Roberto Malerba had said that Netflix would decide within 2 weeks. Which indeed seems to be what happened.

http://newsflix.altervista.org/sense...o-be-its-last/

Quote:
Newsflix | How long will it take for the fans to know the renewal decision?

It won’t take too long, everything will be decided within two weeks from the release (May 5).
Netflix surely have algorithms that can project viewership in the coming months from probably just 1-2 weeks.

But I don't like at all the way it was handled. Even if they had canceled it already, they shouldn't have announced it so fast, because it feels like a slap to the face of the fandom that waited patiently for 2 years for the second season to be released. No, I don't think it was handled well at all. Bad Netflix.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-03-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:28 AM
Vorlon Visitor

The change.org petition just hit 369,351. Pretty impressive.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:20 AM
Just a fan

Yes, it's impressive! There's no comparison between us and the other shows Netflix canceled. We have a sizeable presence and are willing to fight for it.

This is good, because it will take them by surprise, since they've never experienced anything like this before.

The way I see it, even if Sense8 isn't renewed, perhaps they will think twice before canceling some other show in the future, or at least they will do it in a more considerate manner. We have nothing to lose.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:18 AM
Confirmed User

Cancelling the show with no warning so that a completion to the story (of sorts) could have been produced is a bit of a sod – and that will be playing a big part in many people's negative reaction to the news. Like every time that’s happened before with other shows, it’s viewed as a real “fuck you” to the fans. I’m genuinely surprised Netflix did that – assuming it was Netlfix who initiated this.

In the back of my mind I can’t help but consider that Lilly Wachowski basically left the creation and running of the second season to Lana – and one working without the other is not something they do. This is also their first attempt at a serialised television show, and jms(for whatever reasons) has been taking more of a back seat with this second season as well. Taking into account Lana and Lilly’s reluctance to give interviews and shy away from the public limelight, and things like the gruelling filming and production schedules . . . . it just sounds like a *potentially* uncomfortable situation. I dunno.

Netflix isn’t a brick and mortar studio who relies on test screenings and Nielsen to get an idea of viewing figures and reactions. They have an online real-time database which tells them exactly who is watching, how often, where they are, when they’re watching, etc. So if Netflix are the ones who intitiated this, then it doesn’t really matter too much how may people sign a petition – if the viewing figures aren’t high enough for the money being spent, those are the only figure that count – and they already know them. In other words, everyone who watched the show could phone them and the number wouldn’t be high enough. The only surprise they might get is the strength of feeling behind the response, but that doesn’t mean shit in practical terms. The actors are already finding other work, as will most of the crew.

Time might reveal more about why this happened. It might be as simple as an executive decision at Netflix to cut the cord. But like I said, I’m really surprised they did this with absolutely no warning at all to those producing the show, as jms as stated. Right now there’s not enough details about the who, when and why, so folks are assuming and running with whatever floats their boat right now. Maybe the strength of the fan reaction will result in Netflix making a statement (studios tend not to do that), but I doubt much else will come from it.
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski

Last edited by Triple F; 06-04-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:40 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple F View Post
if the viewing figures aren’t high enough for the money being spent
But here's the thing.. The money spent can be reduced significantly!

Due to the way season 2 ended, a continuation could reduce the amount of cities from 16 to as low as 1-3 (depending on which storylines they want to give a conclusion to). This wouldn't just reduce flying costs, etc., but the amount of days filming too, as well as pre-production costs (for location scouting etc). And if we are talking about fewer TV-hours than 12, say a 4-episode 1-hour conclusion, even more so. Drastically so! Less than 1/3rd of the current costs so! (Let alone the further reduction of costs based on the far fewer featured cities).

And as I understand most of the fanbase would happily take such a conclusion over nothing. Sure, not all individual storylines would be solved, but several will. (Wolfgang/Kala, Nomi/Amanita, Will/Riley/Whispers/Jonas/Angelica, that's 5 out of the 8, including the main BPO storyline, pretty good IMO).

So no, I don't agree that the fanbase's strong demand is irrelevant because Netflix have done the math. They have done the math, based on the current costs. And if those costs were fixed, that would be the end of it. But if they can be reduced, and I don't see why they can't, then that changes things.

edit I would also say that in the case of the few shows that have come back after they were canceled (eg Jericho), those networks, too, had the numbers; this is why they canceled them in the first place, because the numbers just weren't good enough. Still, due to fan demand, they brought them back. This happens very very rarely, certainly, but it's not unprecedented and we shouldn't let the numbers stop us from giving it a try.

very late edit Also Netflix will never acknowledge there was a problem of low numbers simply because they refuse to release them. This is different than other networks which will say in no unclear terms that they canceled x, y, z series because the ratings weren't good enough.

From Netflix at best we will get a non-statement about it being a business decision to fund new innovative shows, like Sense8 was, as they felt at two seasons Sense8 had its chance to tell its story (which it didn't), and how they remain committed to always trying to make diverse and innovative programming, so we can expect the new shows to be funded to be just as great. Blergh.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Confirmed User

Ubik and Sense8ional - Thank-you so much for your replies! Sorry I didn't come back earlier, I got sick and still feeling very bad.
Food for thought. I am going to return to this! Thanks again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: