JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-03-2017, 12:04 PM

Rumors, Bargains and Lies - As Fans Try to Save S8

Don't know if the Netflix call center folks are getting fatigued or not but it sounds like they're starting to make shit up, perhaps to deflect fan anger. Twice now I've seen posts on facebook like this one:

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Netflix and the customer service rep said that it wasn't Netflix canceling the show but that the writers don't want to do it anymore.
Another claimed that their rep said that one of the producers had decided to go to another show and that killed it. I forget the name of the show now but there were no names attached that I recognized.

Several times people have seriously pushed the idea that the cancellation is a publicity stunt.

Fans are also coming up with ideas to send stuff to Netflix a la fans sending in bottles of Tabasco when Roswell was in jeopardy or people sending pencils to the AMPTP during the last writer's strike. Two ideas were sending flip-flops or sending 'blockers'. I pointed out gently that sending black pills would cause a panic in Netflix' mail room. I also tried to encourage them to think of something that could be donated by Netflix after the campaign was over.

Naturally, they're not listening to JMS' assurances that crowdfunding will get at least a final closing episode. The latest is that they'd need to add product placement to the crowdfunding.

Lots of people cancelling their accounts. Calls to cancel accounts on the 8th of the month as a symbol.

Lots of ideas for more hashtags to try and get trending again.

There's a lot of people almost grieving right now.

Last edited by Jan; 06-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Just a fan

I knew all that, but not the rumors the reps supposedly spread! LMAO!

edit: The Get Down that was canceled 1 week before Sense8, one of the reasons for its cancellation, was that its creator felt he was first and foremost a film director and couldn't spend his time doing TV.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/baz-luhr...ix-1202101854/
Quote:
“When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years. This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions… But the simple truth is, I make movies.
So maybe the rep confused Sense8 with that.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-03-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Just a fan

Add this to the misinformation:

https://homo-ssensoriumm.tumblr.com/...362275910/yall

Quote:
YA’LL!!!

I just called Netflix and spoke to a rep who informed me that they’ve been flooded with calls about the cancellation and how upset the fans are, he also informed me that there’s a rumor going around that because of the outcry from the fans, they are going to be planning a finale special to wrap up the loose ends!!

It’s working!! Keep calling, emailing, tweeting, posting, and signing petitions! All of our hard work is going to pay off!
sense 8 netflix the power of teamwork we're almost there renew sense8
If only reps were both privy to and allowed to discuss such things!

But still.. let's do our best to see if we can somehow make our dream a reality!

edit And JMS clarifying it's Netflix that doesn't want it back, not him or anyone else from the cast/crew: https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...26111593181184

Quote:
@straczynski please dont do this to us ���� We need a season 3!!

Just to clarify, it's not my decision or anyone associated with the show, so we're not "doing" this, it's a Netflix decision.

Thank you!! For answer.... some people were saying that was producers decicion. Thanks ��

That's silly. Why would we cancel our own show that we worked so hard to keep going?
edit https://gear65.tumblr.com/post/16140...-going-sensies

Quote:
Ok, I just called Netflix and had the same experience everyone else did: I spoke with a courteous and enthusiastic customer service rep who said he’s handled several calls today about the cancellation of Sense8. He also said there’s definitely been a LOT of noise and he’s heard “they’re looking at the decision again”. Obviously you can’t take the rep’s word as gospel, but the point is KEEP IT UP! DON’T LOSE MOMENTUM: YOU ARE BEING HEARD!
If only!!!

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-03-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Just a fan

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...40813958336512

Quote:
@straczynski Do you think there's a chance @netflix will change there minds? Even if it's just one more 2hr episode?

Highly dubious.

So there's still Hope!!! 😂 We won't give up! It's not just a show to us! It's living breathing art! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Dubious means doubtful.

I'm a perpetual optimist! So even highly doubtful means there's still a shred of hope!

Copy that.
JMS too suggesting/commenting on low viewership: https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...38937460318208

Quote:
When something is even too expensive for Netflix ... that says something...!

Not quite accurate. It's cost divided by the number of viewers. The more of the latter the more of the former.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:15 AM

Oops. A fan suggested that JMS not say anything about his thinking that the fan efforts are in vain.
Quote:
@straczynski 1) Pls don’t discourage people who want to fight for Sense8 even if you know it is pointless. I think deep down most people
2) know it is, but fans all around the world are bonding over this and fighting and want to voice their opinion. It is the only way for us
3) to stay sane right now bc we all loved this show so much. We are grieving. So maybe just say nothing at all if somebody asks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Allowing one person's opinion should not require suppressing my own.
We've now reached the point where anybody pointing out common sense things is being called rude and defeatist. As though it's their fault that the poll being linked to all over the place is *not* an official Netflix poll even if it has Netflix in the site name (yes, it's that Netflix Life site we've seen before).
Old 06-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Just a fan

The fandom has coordinated to massively call today at the same time.

Here is one of the most positive statements the reps have made: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sense8/comm...e_are/dihojlj/

Quote:
I called through the Netflix mobile app & got a really surprisingly encouraging response from a rep whose points were:

fans on the inside of Netflix are upset/hopeful too

says Netflix is working on getting resolution for the series

calls/reachout are being taken seriously so keep it up

actually said be on the lookout over the next days/weeks for more updates
Unfortunately, I am 100% convinced there's no substance to be found behind the rep's statements. Anything beyond "we have been flooded with calls" is info they just don't have.. So they have to make up something...

"Be on the lookout" (and I know some other rep gave a caller the address of the network's press release site) is code for "you don't have to call again". I know they also say "calling us is very important", but that's because it's part of their job to say that.

edit Also read some reps now started giving just the short official answer: "Sense8 has been canceled" instead of saying how much they too loved it (whether true or not), etc, as they've been doing in the past days. Haha.

edit This is making the rounds:

That, I 100% fully, believe.

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-05-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Confirmed User

If you call Netflix, they *definitely* have a script, as many have come to suspect. Many of the reports coming were that the reps have said "I'm a fan of the show too."

So when I called today, and the rep said "I'm a fan of the show too," I asked them what their favorite scene was. The answer: "Oh, well... I just love it all... It's so well done."

Yet I do believe she was dutifully typing what I said (and I paused enough to let her type stuff in). That's all I ask.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:58 AM
Just a fan

The "Sense8 Italia Netflix" facebook fan page, the ones that conducted the interview with producer Roberto Malerba in early May that revealed many details about the production, seem to be saying they have sources inside the production, but not on Netflix's side if I understand the translation well, that tell them there is a possibility for a continuation.

Source on the inside of the production.. but not on Netflix's side.. Italian website. Maybe their source is, again, Italian producer Roberto Malerba, but they just can't name him? It makes perfect sense.

https://www.facebook.com/Sense8Itali...5373607968992/

(Translation: )

Quote:
ATTENTION SENSATES!!!!

The mobilization of these days has been unique, unprecedented and we can confirm that it is bringing its fruits: as usual, we have heard the production of Sense8 (it is not Netflix, which does not have its own production, NDR) to know how things are going; We cannot enter the details for confidential matters, but we can tell you that things have moved and it is not at all finite!
So they suggest we keep up the campaign!

Take all that with a grain of salt, of course, but it's the first positive news, that I can maybe half-believe!

edit And from the comments:

(Translation: )

Quote:
Nobody wrote "quiet". Netflix does not have its own production. Netflix does not give any answers. We have no contact with them but with the production. Production has contacts with Netflix.
I'd say 99% the producer they have access to is Malerba.

His relevant credits:

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-06-2017 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:41 AM

I guess my question is why do we think Malerba would know anything? That's not meant to cast aspersion, but I'm just not seeing why a producer who came in on the second season would have that kind of inside information at this point. Yes, I see that he's worked on other Wachowski projects but does that mean he's tight with them? Just curious.

Something I pointed out on FB - it only takes a moment to cancel a show. Bringing it back is something that would almost certainly take months.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:02 AM
Just a fan

Malerba has also said he helped set up season 1 but due to health problems he took a break, which is why wasn't credited during the first season.

I wouldn't really know how close he is with them, but in his interview with the fanpage he was able to share many intimate details about the production, and I don't mean just numbers (budget, cities, etc), but it was as if he knew even the cast very well. Such as Middleton suffering from dizziness, and she had to perform on the top of the mountain in season 1, Smith's fear of swimming, which he had to do for the Christmas Special, Silvestre's love for his mom etc. So at the very least I take that his involvement was more than just signing a piece of paper.

That being said, one has to remember, even if true, whatever their source is, they never said "Keep it up and it will be back!". Just.. keep it up, and there might be a possibility. Even if true, we are still talking about a long shot and as you said it's the kind of thing that takes months (well, in most cases, one exception is Timeless that was renewed three days after it was canceled, but to be fair they did that on their own, not due to a fan campaign, because one of the production companies, really wanted it alive.)

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-06-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Just a fan

Apparently suddenly Netflix has started advertising Sense8 with ads on YouTube?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sense8/comm...be_and_then_i/
https://allmysense8children.tumblr.c...-netflix-is-it

Truly bizarre if these ads are new! Why now?!

Has anyone caught any of those prior to the cancellation? (I have ad-block always enabled on YouTube, so I wouldn't know).
Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Narn with key

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post

Has anyone caught any of those prior to the cancellation? (I have ad-block always enabled on YouTube, so I wouldn't know).
I didn't catch any the few times I saw adds during May 16-25.
"It means living each moment as if it were your last one. It means doing each right thing because it is the right thing. The scale doesn't matter. The where, the when, the how, or in what cause... none of those things matter."
Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post

I have never seen these before. And I guarantee you they would have appeared on social media at least once if they were there before the cancellation if they were.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Just a fan

Crazy if true. And even if not true I don't understand why they are currently running ads for it, unless they were pre-paid a long time ago...

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-06-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Just a fan

I've been reading through the Sense8 Italia Netflix facebook fanpage, and when Smith wrote about fans making some noise 2 days before June 1, they commented on that:

Quote:
From what we have been told, Lana Wachowski will return from the holidays (well deserved) on Sunday June 4th and Monday should sit at the table with Netflix to make a definitive decision, from inside or out. Look forward to news on Monday through Tuesday. Hoping to bring good new ones.
Then the show was canceled on June 1..

On June 2 they wrote:

Quote:
Lana learned it yesterday, just come back, she was disappointed, she was very bad because in these weeks Netflix did not deserve them to half a dialogue.
If this is true, and keep in mind this is me figuring it out through google and bing translate and applying some common sense, then this indicates Lana probably learned of the cancellation like JMS did.. On June 1, by reading it online. And even if they emailed or called her on June 1 - she was never given a chance to fight for the show as there was no meeting about it. Also the "did not deserve them to half a dialogue" points to Netflix entering radio silence with the creators or something at some point? (If the translation is correct).

Someone asked them today, how can they claim to know about the renewal having a chance and they replied that if one checks their videos and interviews they will understand they are legit. Since their only video is with Malerba, I'd say it's confirmed he is their source. And, yes, if he knows all that then apparently he is really close with Lana.

As always, grain of salt and all that.

If someone knows Italian and can provide us with a better translation, feel free!

https://www.facebook.com/Sense8Itali...3150844857935/
https://www.facebook.com/Sense8Itali...%3A%22R9%22%7D

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-06-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: