JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 PM

Emmys for Sense8 this year?

I found a single For Your Consideration disk on Ebay today. The episode is "Happy Fucking New Year". Somebody on Facebook says there's also a full set of DVDs FYC, also.

Iit says: For your consideration in all categories including:
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Supporting Actor (Onwumere, Reimelt, Silvestre, Smith, Mann, Andrews)
- Outstanding Supporting Actress (Bae, Clayton, Desai, Middleton, Hannah)
- Outstanding Director (Lana Wachowski)
- Outstanding Writing (Wachowski and Straczynski)

I suggested on FB that they include the hashtag #Emmys in all their tweeting for the show. Can't hurt, might call attention to the show to a Television Academy member or two.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM

Going through the ballots for nominations:

2017 Emmy Awards Nominating Ballots

Art Direction: Happy Fucking New Year
Cinematography: Obligate Mutualisms
Directing: Isolated Above, Connected Below
Performer: Herrera/Andrews/Mann/Onwumere/Reimelt/Silvestre/Smith/Bae/Clayton/
Desai/Hannah/Middleton/
Picture Editing: You Want A War?
Program: Sense8
Sound Editing: Obligate Mutualisms
Sound Mixing: If All The World's A Stage, Identity Is Nothing But A Costume
Writing: If All The World's A Stage, Identity Is Nothing But A Costume
Old 06-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Just a fan

What does "Program: Sense8" mean? "Program" as in the "on the whole", or something else?

You found them here: http://www.emmys.com/ballots/2017 ? I don't have the time to look for myself right now, but I will do later.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
What does "Program: Sense8" mean? "Program" as in the "on the whole", or something else?
It appears to be a blanket term and the Outstanding Drama, Outstanding Comedy, etc. lists are inside that category.

Last edited by Jan; 06-14-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Just a fan

Here is a nice article about the thread's subject: http://www.goldderby.com/article/201...ng-lead-actor/

Same info, but here it is again:

Quote:
Best Drama Series

Best Drama Actor
Alfonso Herrera

Best Drama Supporting Actor
Naveen Andrews
Terrence Mann
Toby Onwumere
Max Riemelt
Miguel Angel Silvestre
Brian J. Smith

Best Drama Supporting Actress
Doona Bae
Jamie Clayton
Tina Desai
Daryl Hannah
Tuppence Middleton

Best Drama Directing
“Isolated Above, Connected Below”

Best Drama Writing
“If All the World’s a Stage, Identity is Nothing But a Costume”

Best Cinematography (Single-Camera Series, One Hour)
“Obligate Mutualisms”

Best Picture Editing (Drama, Single-Camera)
“You Want a War?”

Best Production Design (Narrative, Contemporary/Fantasy)
“Happy F*cking New Year”

Best Sound Editing (Series)
“Obligate Mutualisms”

Best Sound Mixing (Series, One Hour)
“If All the World’s a Stage, Identity is Nothing But a Costume”
It's funny that some viewers have been complaining about the "editing" (although I suppose it's more about pacing / what's included and what's not) of the final episode since before the series was canceled but it's the one that has been submitted for its editing.

The other choices are very good. Herrera had plenty of great moments, starting from the Christmas special actually, "Isolated Above, Connected Below" is very strong directing-wise (Pride!, Riley/Mr. Hoy back and forth and Archipelago!), "If All the World’s a Stage, Identity is Nothing But a Costume" has good writing what with Capheus' speech and Lito's Hollywood/beach adventures. Production Design is certainly very strong on the Christmas Special, even if I didn't like the episode itself so much.

Sound mixing and sound editing I have no comment to make, and Cinematography.. the whole show is so damn beautiful anyway, haha, but “Obligate Mutualisms” was a good choice because they shot in the museum with the real paintings.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:07 PM

A lot of people don't understand that Herrera's nomination is for a different show. Of course the headline doesn't help that.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Just a fan

He is for both Sense8 and The Exorcist, right? You are referring to calling him lead / having him separate than the other supporting ones, correct?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
He is for both Sense8 and The Exorcist, right? You are referring to calling him lead / having him separate than the other supporting ones, correct?
That's...dumb. I hadn't noticed but yes, it looks like he's on the ballot twice for lead actor. Which he's most definitely not in Sense8!!]
Old 06-14-2017, 06:27 PM

Man, Netflix is NOT going to get any awards for communication!

And then

That chain of communication leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM
Just a fan

We got a nomination for cinematography. http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/f...-list-v1ry.pdf

Better than nothing. But Sense8 has to compete with mega-popular genre shows like Stranger Things and Westworld, or the more "serious" The Crown, or the unconventionally framed Mr. Robot to turn that nomination into a win... I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-13-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:31 AM
Just a fan

Not Emmy related, but John Toll + award related: http://www.camerimage.pl/en/John-Tol...ent-Award.html

Quote:
We are very proud to announce that John Toll, ASC, will be the recipient of Camerimage Lifetime Achievement Award during the upcoming 25th anniversary edition of the International Film Festival of the Art of Cinematography, which will be held in Bydgoszcz between 11th and 18th November 2017.
Quote:

Still from "Sense8," photo from John Toll's private archive
Well deserved!

He is bound to do some interviews when he gets the award I believe, and perhaps he will give us an update on when the Special will start shooting (if he knows anything about it). Last time, he was the guy that first revealed when season 2 would start shooting!
Old 09-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Looks like The Handmaid's Tale won over Sense8.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Just a fan

Poor Toll, he deserved it so much. (Not that other shows and their cinematographers don't deserve an award, but given the challenges Toll and co face to shoot on location, he deserves it above everyone else).
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Just a fan

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...vealed-1041383

Not an Emmy, but Sense8 and Charlene Rose, season 2's choreographer, have been nominated in the 7th annual World Choreography Awards, in the category of "Motion Picture". (The competition includes La La Land, which I haven't seen, but.. yeah..)

The awards show will take place October 23.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...vealed-1041383

Not an Emmy, but Sense8 and Charlene Rose, season 2's choreographer, have been nominated in the 7th annual World Choreography Awards, in the category of "Motion Picture". (The competition includes La La Land, which I haven't seen, but.. yeah..)
In what universe is Sense8 a motion picture?? They must have a very fluid definition. Good luck to her, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: