JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
You know most TV series do not have every single writer work on every single episode, right?! And they still manage to be consistent. Magic? Hardly.
Why NO! I didn't know that! </sarcasm> I also know that a knack for characterization isn't easy. And I also know that most TV shows aren't as intricately planned/plotted as Sense8, B5 or whatever. I'm also aware that there's a tendency for features these days, which that two-hour special might as well be, tend to have a whole laundry list of writers for specific areas which generally leads to a very watered down and insipid movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylonlurker
Jan :
A bit harsh on the Ws ? I am thinking of Cloud Atlas.
I loved Cloud Atlas a lot. But I can't come up with a single character that I actually cared about. Admired the brilliance of the the story and execution, absolutely. But no emotional connection, really.
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
I suppose if some cast members don't return I will rethink everything, but for now, my personal interpretation, is that JMS was out of the loop and his answers were his personal guesses based on his past experience, rather than knowledge of what was or was not going on between Lana <-> Netflix <-> cast.
A contract for a movie is a bit easier on an actor than one for a TV series. TV commitments are longer and they tend to preclude you from doing any other acting work. My best guess is that they will all be in the movie. That doesn't have anything to do with whether they signed the extension or not because it's a completely new contract for everybody.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Confirmed User

The only item I can think to add right now is that I SURE am glad I didn't read that "JMS Hints" thread. LOL
Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Seems the Italians that have a direct line to producer Roberto Malerba, already knew of the news, before they were made official. https://www.facebook.com/Sense8Itali...68288416677511

Their post that was made something like 2 hours before the creation of this thread proves it. Glad to see further proof of their connection to the production being real. Is Malerba like their father or something? (I am not kidding!)

They also got some nice stuff thanks to their connections with the production:

(You can even spot the per-location badges the crew was given to right of the bottom image!)

edit In one of their comments they promise an explanation of what happened/was going on with the cancellation, tomorrow. I'll be sure to be checking their page and will let you know if I see it posted.
JESUS, I really want to know how they're getting all this stuff from Malebra. Like. How is he even allowing this stuff (and information) to be put out in the open like this! You can even see Malebra's name on the location badges (the Mexico one, "Rober...") lol... So jealous! And they even have some of the globetrotter shirts!

Also, anyone know if Sense8 Italia posted their explanation of the cancellation? I've tried looking for it on their Facebook, but only found a comment where they said they were "99% sure the special would end Sense8" and that Lana's statement at the end of her letter was rather trying to imply possible spinoffs or prequels in the Sense8 universe (though they later stated in another comment it's "too early to talk" about anything regarding the future of the series).

Another thing I found interesting is that they said what JMS spoiled on twitter and/or had spoken about regarding the future of the series were things that weren't set in stone either, and they claim his spoilers were "2014 ideas". I'm not gonna take that as if what he said was never actually going to happen (or that the Facebook page is even right about this), but I imagine the story has changed a lot more since season 1. I imagine the same thing now with the future of the series now that we are currently only getting a finale rather than 3 more seasons).

Last edited by chromate; 07-03-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromate View Post
Also, anyone know if Sense8 Italia posted their explanation of the cancellation?
Nope.

Quote:
I've tried looking for it on their Facebook, but only found a comment where they said they were "99% sure the special would end Sense8" and that Lana's statement at the end of her letter was rather trying to imply possible spinoffs or prequels in the Sense8 universe (though they later stated in another comment it's "too early to talk" about anything regarding the future of the series).
I remember a smiley face there, so I think that was just talking shit in a joking manner.

Quote:
Another thing I found interesting is that they said what JMS spoiled on twitter and/or had spoken about regarding the future of the series were things that weren't set in stone either, and they claim his spoilers were "2014 ideas".
It makes sense they knew several of that stuff from 2014, but whether they would remain unchanged who knows? For one the ending of the series, I'm sure it wouldn't change. (Note: I don't consider the special as the ending of the series, even if they never make more.)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
I remember a smiley face there, so I think that was just talking shit in a joking manner.
The exact (translated) comment was

Quote:
Yes, Lana wrote that, but the ending is final for Netflix. Then maybe a spin-off or a prequel, who knows
Didn't seem like shit talk, but I wanna know what would make them so sure the special would be the definitive end "for Netflix".

Quote:
It makes sense they knew several of that stuff from 2014, but whether they would remain unchanged who knows? For one the ending of the series, I'm sure it wouldn't change. (Note: I don't consider the special as the ending of the series, even if they never make more.)
Yeah see, now this makes me even more curious as to know how they know several stuff all the way back from 2014
Old 07-03-2017, 02:05 AM
Just a fan

Quote:
Didn't seem like shit talk, but I wanna know what would make them so sure the special would be the definitive end "for Netflix".
"who knows " = shit talk

"ending is final for Netflix" = because they advertised it like that

Some of the stuff they say are just guesses, like you and me make, nothing more.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 AM
Just a fan

So... 5 of the 8 cast members have commented on the revival.
2 of the 8 (Middleton and Riemelt) have only retweeted the announcement.
1 of the 8 (Clayton) has merely "liked" posts about it.

I'm confident we are not going to have any recasts.

The best of the cast's posts about it is definitely this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV8X3sygJNA/

Quote:

Hurraaay
#thankyousense8fans
Doona really likes printing shirts with Sun (the following is 4 days after the cancellation was announced, she seemed ready to go beat up everyone at Netflix!): https://www.instagram.com/p/BU9UQ2fA-Md/

Quote:

Golf like a badass
Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Just a fan

The Italians have posted Lana went to Netflix with a revised Season 3 plan (budget cuts?) a week before the announcement of the special, but the proposal "was not heard" by Netflix (whether that means they shot it down, or they wouldn't even agree to the meeting, I don't know (it sure sounds like the later to me).)

https://www.facebook.com/Sense8Itali...type=3&theater

(Translation: )

Quote:
A week before getting the two-hour final was a plan for season 3 in line with Netflix's new financial directives, but Lana Wachowski's proposal was not heard.

Source: production
I guess that's why Lana used the following wording when talking to the fan at Electric Forest "There's only one thing that can be done; a special." because I guess she was like "Trust me, I tried for the full thing!"

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-03-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Confirmed User

Quote:
The Italians have posted Lana went to Netflix with a revised Season 3 plan (budget cuts?) a week before the announcement of the special, but the proposal "was not heard" by Netflix (whether that means they shot it down, or they wouldn't even agree to the meeting, I don't know (it sure sounds like the later to me).)

https://www.facebook.com/Sense8Itali...type=3&theater

I guess that's why Lana used the following wording when talking to the fan at Electric Forest "There's only one thing that can be done; a special." because I guess she was like "Trust me, I tried for the full thing!"
If Lana did go to Netflix with a revised season 3 budget, (say they went around the same budget as season 1 of ~50 million), I don't get why they would approve for just a special instead. It's not like the special is going to cost less than ~10-20 million and it seems cost inefficient to round up the entire cast + crew for one "episode". But whatever, I guess we probably might never actually know
Old 07-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Just a fan

Well, I understand it. Think of it this way.. Given that they chose to cancel the show, now even spending $1 on it is $1 more that they'd rather not. In a way the special is going "over budget" so to speak merely by existing, because their business decision was to not make any more. That business decision remains the same, despite ordering the production of a special.

Last edited by sense8ional; 07-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Just a fan

Yet another T-shirt created by Doona Bae, and this time gifted to her cinematic brother, Lee Ki-chan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWNKbUjD-g8/

Quote:

a gift from my sister #Sun , #mysisteristhefuckingterminator #tshirt Thank you so much sis! #두나 가 #선물 해준 #센스에잇 #sense8 티셔츠! #kichanlee #leekichan #이기찬
The actor, along with Doona, Sukku Son (Detective Mun) and a casting director of Sense8 had "celebration lunch" recently, because Sense8 got revived, lol!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWMB6bJgqvq/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWMF51Jj_D1/

Quote:

Late lunch with #Sense8KR @lee_kichan @sukku_son and Suhyun x
Quote:
오랬만에 사랑하는 #친구 들과 #행복한 #시간 😋 #celebrationlunch with my sis #Sun #castingdirector #Sukim and #Detective #Mun I love u guys soooo much! #renewsense8 #sense8KR #kichanlee #leekichan #이기찬 #doonabae #배두나 #sonsukku #손석구 #에피세리꼴라주 #비밀의한남동
In more relevant (non-)news to this thread, the Mexican production side doesn't know if Sense8 will return for filming there. http://w3.informador.com.mx/entreten...con-sense8.htm

Quote:
"This is very recent (the announcement of the special), I do not know yet if they are coming," he says.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Confirmed User

The 2 hour special is fantastic news! And it was nice to see JMS's letter, earlier in this thread. I can't imagine the disappointment in having a story coming together just to have the network change its mind/direction.

And I thought I was just being an over-50 brat posting on their Facebook page that this makes "House of Cards" an awfully expensive show for me to rent, since it's the only other thing on Netflix I seem to be watching these days other than Sense8.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Confirmed User

That first pic of Lee Ki-chan still looks like he has the devil behind those eyes.

But seriously he has been one of my favorite parts of the show because he does evil well. I think all of the supporting cast is Fan-Friggin-Tastic. I would say that I like a lot of them more than some main cast members, but that wouldn't be fair considering they haven't had to put in as much screen time as the main cast.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:05 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
That first pic of Lee Ki-chan still looks like he has the devil behind those eyes.

But seriously he has been one of my favorite parts of the show because he does evil well. I think all of the supporting cast is Fan-Friggin-Tastic. I would say that I like a lot of them more than some main cast members, but that wouldn't be fair considering they haven't had to put in as much screen time as the main cast.
I enjoyed a lot of the archipelago related characters like Puck and Old Man of Hoy. Would have loved to see more exploration of the archipelago as a whole as it really represents why Sensates are truly dangerous. Our merry little band still feel like babes in the crib compared to that. I'm still largely uninterested in Kala's narrative, Riley also just seemed like a mouthpiece for Will in S2, I know she has a larger function further on down the line, but I wish they'd given her character more to work with until she becomes super duper DJ cluster mother.

Winners for me are (in order) Sun, Hernando, Lito, as well as Capheus. Everyone is going to have their favourites though, but I've had many friends mention that they wished it had been Sense4, or something with a lower number of characters so there'd be more depth for each of them. They could have just called it Sensates... I guess.

Come to think of it, my fav scene in S1 is Hernando's speech to Lito in the art gallery. I could use more Hermando.

Kosh: Good!

Last edited by Ubik; 07-12-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: