JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Just a fan

Meet Lana + cast members @ Vancouver Pride Parade (August 4 & 6)

http://www.hellovancity.com/events/c...-pride-parade/

Quote:
Ahead of the famed parade, select cast members will host a fan Meet & Greet at The Davie Street Block Party on August 4.
Quote:
Event Details

The Davie Street Party
When: Friday, August 4 from 8:00 – 9:30 pm
Where: Davie Street between Burrard and Jervis
Talent scheduled to participate: Lana Wachowski, Toby Onwumere, Max Riemelt, Brian J. Smith

Vancouver Pride Parade
When: Sunday, August 6 from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Where: The parade will start on Robson, turn down Denman, and turns onto Beach Ave. It will end where Beach merges with Pacific
Talent scheduled to participate: Lana Wachowski, Toby Onwumere, Max Riemelt, Tina Desai, Brian J. Smith, Alfonso Herrera

Once the parade route is completed at approximately 1:30 pm cast are scheduled to be on the Sunset Beach Fest main stage for brief remarks
Hopefully they give a small update to the fans about the special. I have no doubt things are moving forward if they are making public appearances like this.

edit: Ah, it's 5 cast members, not 6. Jan, if you can fix the title please

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-03-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
edit: Ah, it's 5 cast members, not 6. Jan, if you can fix the title please
Taken care of! I'll be interested in reports back.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Just a fan

Thanks Jan!

Here is another link with the same info but different prose: https://www.facebook.com/VancouverPr...11807698845107

Quote:
Are you a fan of the Netflix hit series, Sense 8?

Guess what?

Co-creator, Lana Wachowski and some of the cast are coming to Vancouver Pride!

Super fans, dress up in your brightest, sparkliest Pride wear for all the selfies you know you'll want to take!

Join us at the fan meet and greet at the Davie Street Party this Friday! You can catch Lana and cast members at Bute and Davie from 8-9:30pm.

On Pride Parade day, you will be able to catch cast members Toby Onwumere, Max Riemelt, Tina Desai, Brian J. Smith and Alfonso Herrera as they roll by in the parade!

Post-parade, around 1:30pm, Lana and cast will give a short greeting on our Sunset Beach stage.
edit Additional coverage:

http://www.straight.com/movies/94486...nd-festivities
http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouv...ver-pride.html

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-04-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Just a fan

Very interestingly Netflix says they are preparing something special for the fans on August 5, that is, in-between the two appearances of Lana & cast on August 4 & 6: https://twitter.com/sense8/status/893189969820475392

Quote:
We'll have something special for fans around the world on Saturday �� Stay tuned...
And that is NOT the birthday (August 8) celebration, which will also follow later (on August 8, duh!): https://twitter.com/sense8/status/893191478536753153

Quote:
We're preparing for a very special birthday celebration ����
If they announce Season 3 I will squeal like I never have before............

But in any case, be on the lookout for Sense8 stuff happening August 4, 5, 6 and 8!!

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-03-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:36 PM

Interesting that those tweets are in response to fans.

Speaking of fans...anybody know what the drama was about between 'I Am We Campaign' and 'Global Cluster' on Twitter? I've been assuming that it's no more than the usual (depressing) fan politics, but thought I'd ask since IAWC was one of the accounts responded to in the links above.

ETA: Really hope that the wildfire smoke clears before the celebrations!!

Last edited by Jan; 08-03-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Just a fan

A few days ago I saw some references to how Global Cluster wanting to do their own thing disappointed I Am We Campaign, but I didn't understand either. I think the initial exchange of words was already deleted by then.

I have no interest in fan drama and only accidentally stumbled upon it. I am not following either campaign or campaign's tweets, although I certainly can respect their dedication.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Just a fan

I have seen the suggestion that what they are planning on Saturday is the release of the season 2 making of documentary.

You know, this makes almost perfect sense. My only doubt is why they would be releasing it on a Saturday as I don't think Netflix normally release stuff on weekends? I mean the first season's documentary was released on a Saturday, but that was combined with the announcement of the second season - both on August 8, a special date. Wouldn't it make much more sense to release the documentary on August 8 again? Give fans something big to celebrate?

So if it wasn't for the day, I'd be almost entirely convinced it's the documentary. But since the choice of date is a little odd, and it also happens that the next day Lana + cast are scheduled to make a public appearance, I am still thinking there is a possibility it might be related to that appearance, something for Lana + cast to talk about the next day. (Obviously we all hope it's season 3 which would certainly give them something to talk about!, but we all know it's not very likely.)

So I have concluded that for me it's 65% the documentary, 35% it's something else.

edit Ya know, I also had the super wild idea that Lana + cast will be at the Vancouver Pride to film for the special, akin to the early "Berlin Winter Shoot" for the Christmas special, but since it's not the full cast and I can't think how are they going to fit Vancouver in a 2 hour special, probably not.

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-04-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Just a fan

August 5 "special" thing revealed; Lana + 3 cast members will answer fan questions live from Vancouver:

https://twitter.com/sense8/status/893522513598328836
https://www.facebook.com/Sense8TV/vi...7439574782332/

Quote:
We're going live with the cast this Saturday at 1pm PT from Vancouver Pride! What questions do you have for Brian (Will), Max (Wolfgang), Toby (Capheus) and Lana?
I suppose one submits their questions as comments on the above facebook link?

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-04-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 AM

It would probably be snotty of me to ask if they'll have JMS get more involved so they can stay on budget this time, huh?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Confirmed User

I think it’s a mistake to point at the exec producer like he has some kind of magic wand – something like the B5 production model requires a group effort to make it work.. . . . From John Copeland.

Quote:
The Babylon 5 production model was really my concept. Many have tried to emulate it, even Joe and Doug Netter - but none have fully done so since the end of Crusade. It's pretty basic. On a production, we have to make choices. Once a choice is made, it is stuck with. There are (most of the time) no wrong choices - it's sort of like "all roads lead to Rome." On a television series, if something doesn't work out on one episode, you change it on the next one - not in the middle of the episode (that costs lots of money). Every Department Key had to agree to those basic terms before signing on the show. It is one of the reasons B5 remained both on schedule and budget (something no other science fiction series can claim in the history of television) for the pilot, all 110 episodes and the 5 tv movies. At the end of every season we always gave change back to Warner Brothers. The same goes with Crusade.
You just need to look at Legend of the Rangers to see what happens when all the right kind of people aren’t in place.

Quote:
Well it's kind of complicated why other shows don't do something as basic as that -it comes down to decision making. I was taught many years ago that in an ongoing production you can't delay making decisions. You should really make them the same day the issues come up or at least within 24 hrs. Lots of folks just can't do that for many reasons - there are too many people involved in the decision making may be one (on B5 - Joe, Doug, myself - were at the top for the big ones.) Money may be another complicating issue. On shows that have lots of dollars in the production budget it can be easy to not be quite as focused. Life and production can also be complicated by leads in the show who want their every whim catered to.

On B5, we made sure the department heads were on board with the concept and held them to it – reviewed every budget and talked regularly about the process. I think we had a very good idea of our limitations - given that we were outside the studio, had limited budgets and really had to look to ourselves to figure things out. But the key is once you make a decision stick with it. In episodic television, if your decision wasn't the right one, you can fix it on the next episode in many instances. I hope this makes sense.
It's the oldest trick in the book, and the lowest, also the meanest, to take someone's words and paraphrase them to your own benefit, and characterize them with loaded terms to make the other person look bad. Frankly, this kind of tactic is beneath contempt. Grow up.
J. Michael Straczynski
Old 08-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Just a fan

We don't know that they went overbudget anyway, so the point is moot.

I think a good question to ask would be about the status of the behind the scenes documentary.

Last Q&A with Lana fans asked about the soundtrack and she said that it was coming real soon, and it did. It's worth giving it a shot, and she can probably say more about it than a lot of other questions she probably can't talk about (eg season 3).

We don't know that they went overbudget anyway, so the point is moot.

I think a good question to ask would be about the status of the behind the scenes documentary.

Last Q&A with Lana fans asked about the soundtrack and she said that it was coming real soon, and it did. It's worth giving it a shot, and she can probably say more about it than a lot of other questions she probably can't talk about (eg season 3).

edit:

Quote:
On a production, we have to make choices. Once a choice is made, it is stuck with. There are (most of the time) no wrong choices - it's sort of like "all roads lead to Rome." On a television series, if something doesn't work out on one episode, you change it on the next one - not in the middle of the episode (that costs lots of money).
That is difficult to apply to Sense8 where they film in foreign countries and dealing with crew and services that don't speak English and have a different way of working than the American crew, etc. (Let alone the fact they don't shoot per episode.)

Some examples:

http://www.apdg.org.au/interview-hug...signer-sense8/

Quote:
Seoul: There were some cultural differences between what we expected to be there, and what we found – some of the scripted locations didn’t fit our preconceptions of how people actually live. There was a bit of changing around in the writing once we had all been there. Seoul is all new. And again, a very large city. We were very lucky in Korea to find a prison set that had been built several years earlier about 3 hours drive south of Seoul. Damien oversaw refurbishment of that set and building the solitary confinement cell in a stage in Seoul to cut out the travel for a couple of days. The Seoul dressing department consisted of 15 people on computers. We never actually saw anything physically. I had to OK dressings and props for locations from just photos. On the day you turn up and a small army had been picking the stuff and there it was dressed. This process was quite stressful until we understood that it worked.

Mexico City: A great city. We did have a lot of problems there because of their shooting permit system. Sometimes it went our way other times not, so there were again some last minute location changes, which tested our teams greatly. The Mexicans like to describe their traffic situations as legendary. I flew from the middle of the US to Mexico City in the same amount of time it took our driver to drive the 9 KM from the office in Mexico City to the airport to pick me up. We spent a lot of time in traffic there. We had locked in Lito’s apartment in a block of flats with a great vista. The owner had agreed to let us pull a couple of walls out, repaint and build a roof garden. The day before we came to shoot, locations had not got permission to enter the building from the actual owners of the building and we were locked out. Within 24 hours we had another apartment in another part of town, repainted it, undressed the original apartment and dressed the new one. It worked out well in the end because Lito’s apartment was I think a great looking place and it had a great vista. Out of adversity sometimes comes good things.

Mumbai: The Bollywood system is bigger than Hollywood, and we didn’t quite fit the mould for that. The directors wanted us to shoot in places that hadn’t been filmed in before, but this was not the way they did it there. We fought hard and sometimes it paid off greatly. Sometimes we didn’t win but what can you do when someone shrugs their shoulders with a big grin and just says “ it’s not possible”. You compromise. There were times when we understood why they did what they did. …our location manager there was ‘the great’ photographer whose name is Navitt – We would go on scouts only to discover that places looked a LOT (LOT) better in his photos than in reality. We had a second unit shoot there before main unit arrived. We built a large Ganesha statue and production donated it to some devotees that pushed it in the annual Ganesha pilgrimage to the sea, which is a parade that has over a million people at it. We had a small crew filming in and around the parade.
Quote:
Language – in Korea. Not many people speak English, so this was an issue for the entire crew, not just the art department. We took in an Australian Art Director (Damien Drew) as I knew from initial scouts that Seoul was going to prove difficult to find the locations that we wanted from the script, and that the language problem was going to be an issue. We also had a local art director who was great, but who had very limited English, and an interpreter in the department, so things went as well as they could, although there were definitely moments when things got ‘lost in translation’. We had limited English speakers in Mexico and also in Mumbai, so this was also the case there sometimes, and everywhere we went there was plenty of entertainment to be had from my strong Australian accent, english speakers or no.

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-04-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:17 PM

After carefully reminding people that I was joking, it's worth pointing out that changing the production to fly everybody to Brazil for a last-minute shoot was certainly not in the budget. I rest my case.

Not sure what T-F's talking about regarding 'Rangers', but that's a topic for a different thread.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Just a fan

To be accurate the Brazil shoot was written and scheduled to happen, it got unscheduled when they thought they wouldn't have time for it, and rescheduled when they thought they would.

Here are the news by the Brazilian production company that they have been visited by the Sense8 team to shedule filming there: http://www.o2filmes.com/noticias/3163/sense-8-na-o2/

News posted on March 23, 2 days before main unit filming had even officially started for season 2 (it started on March 25 in Mumbai).

Here is the Brazilian production company on April 1 saying the Gay Parade has been scheduled for the show: https://archive.is/20160505113432/ht...-de-sao-paulo/

It was later at some point that production thought they couldn't make the dates and they would miss it. But Lana 2 days before the date thought they could actually make it fit in their schedule, and since they had already done the required steps, they went and filmed there for 2 days, on May 28 and 29. But they had planned for it months in advance!

It wasn't an idea out of the blue "I hear there's a Pride Parade going on in Brazil, wanna go, lol?".

Given it was scheduled and budgeted, I have no idea what would have been cheaper; missing it or not (as they didn't).

Last edited by sense8ional; 08-04-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Okay, the joke's officially been beaten into the ground. Hope it was enjoyable for all.

Next topic? Still several hours before any word from the Davie Street Party, if any.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Just a fan

Riemelt has arrived:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXYjS4BgPqI/

I don't think I will be awake to cover the event live by watching instagram for #sense8.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: