JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Sense8

Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM

SENSE8 Finale Discussion- SPOILERS

Soon - very soon now. So here's our thread to discuss everything. I'm really interested in what people think and feel.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 06-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Just a fan

Mega fail by Netflix. The episode doesn't appear on the mobile interface. On desktop it appears as the 12th episode of season 2 - as we all speculated. You can still watch it on mobile if you click on the ad, though. But if you click on "Episodes" under Sense8, it's nowhere to be found.

No surprises in start and end credits (it's the same production companies as season 2, etc.)

I watched the first 5 minutes and it was very intense and there was a really great link with S1E1, which makes perfect sense for the finale to reflect Ep1. But I don't have time to watch more now.. Later!!
Old 06-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Probably on this tonight, or tomorrow. Review and thoughts to follow obviously. I will likely be harder sell than most of the hardcore fans.

Kosh: Good!
Old 06-08-2018, 04:31 AM
Just a fan

Twitter loves it (no spoilers): https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-d...fan-reactions/

Quote:
#Sense8 that's what I'm talking about. THAT'S HOW YOU DO A SERIES FINALE. Yes my heart is broken but in the best possible way. #ImNotCryingYourCrying #Sense8Finale
Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM
In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum

Watched it today ... Twice.

I think they did as well as it is possible with the finale.

The most important threads were closed, and some less pertinent ones left open for more possible stories in the universe.

Did we get all we wanted ? Well, as expected, a lot of story was compressed into the 2h30min, about 3 episodes worth of show, so yes, it is a bit rushed.

There is so much detail there that it will require several re-watches to get it all (much like it is with B5), but I will initially mention one here : Lila was complaining in season 2 about being on a leash. Watch what happens to Whispers in this episode, that is all I want to say about that.

More later.

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"
Old 06-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Just a fan

The last 30 minutes are amazing.....

Also spotted the Lana and Karin cameo at the wedding! And since the book "Venus Castina" ( https://www.amazon.com/Venus-Castina.../dp/B0007HSATY ) is the name of Lana and Karin's production company, and since Nomi is based on Lana and Amanita is based on Karin, I get the feeling the bookstore story is a true story
Old 06-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Just a fan

Music list:
https://www.tunefind.com/show/sense8/season-2/64026
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/new...ete-song-list/

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-08-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Confirmed User

Wow!!!!!

Okay so I have no clue how that could have been any better than it was without stretching the material out over a longer period of time, like into more Seasons. As far as having to wrap everything up I thought it was absolutely amazing. I have to admit that I both loved and despised every minute. I despised that it was ending. I despised having so many characters meant many characters didn't get the screen time they deserved. I wish everyone had more screen time. But I also I loved that sooooooooo many characters made appearances. I have my complaints, but they are all based on the fact that I wish there was more time to stretch things out. I am not joking I think they accomplished something really special with wrapping everything up. Yes things seemed rushed, but how could they not be when trying to bookend such a large and complex web of stories. Yes I would have liked a little more closure on some of the stories; like Capheus, Lito, Hernando, and Daniela, but I know I am just supposed to accept that they lived happily ever after. (Actually my biggest complaint might be that their little threesome and Capheus didn't get enough screen time, but what can you do. -they should have made it longer!!!!! )

I wish it wasn't so late or I would watch the finale again.

(So sad for the other actors that Michael X. Sommers stole the show yet again. )

Last edited by Looney; 06-08-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:25 AM
Just a fan

Aye. There are several stuff that are a little rushed etc., but I challenge anyone to do more or better than they did in their limited runtime. I have seen worse plot resolutions and pacing on shows that had "normal" endings. (I thought the ending of Buffy was extremely rushed for example.)

In the end the characters talk about feelings, and how they do matter. And despite the shortcomings of the finale, the overwhelming feeling that I got, especially in the last 30 minutes, was that of joy. So job well done as far as I am concerned!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:36 AM
Just a fan

Mounsey has additional info about the music in the episode: https://www.facebook.com/gmounsey/po...83397738392633
Quote:
Sense8 Finale “Amor Vincit Omnia”

As per request, some music infos-

The Sans Jour club fight:
“Sans Jour Dance Fight” Gabriel Mounsey | Lana Wachowski | Xoe Wise

Eiffel Tower fireworks scene
“Eiffel Fireworks” Gabriel Mounsey | Lana Wachowski. There will likely be a song version with vocals by Xoe Wise released in the near future. "A Love Letter" :-) Stay tuned.

Wedding afterparty:
Magnetic Fields “Nothing Matters When you’re Dancing” Remix.
Remixed by Gabriel Mounsey | Lana Wachowski | Xoe Wise | Ethan Stoller
The "A Love Letter" bit, with all caps and all that, sounds like maybe they are preparing some sort of collection of songs, or I don't know what else, and they have named it like that!

Last edited by sense8ional; 06-09-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 AM
Vorlon Visitor

I am half way through... so far it's farily mindless fun and totally ridiculous. I did groan a bit at Whispers ultimate motivation as it's The Matrix and Jupiter Ascending themes recycled yet AGAIN. Lazy.

Everyone in the cluster is also VERY down with killing people in droves. This is odd to me and at odds with the series as a whole.

Witholding any kind of final judgement till I am done, but a bit unsure about it thus far.

Last edited by Ubik; 06-09-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:14 AM
Just a fan

I don't see Whispers' link to the The Matrix.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Confirmed User

First thing I thought when Wolfgang saw the room full of "Sleepers" was enslaved Telepaths in Babylon 5, then The Matrix did come to mind. Not so much with Whispers motivation though. I guess I kind of see that with the fact that after he was gone BPO would have kept generations of people in this state, thus allowing his plan to continue.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:32 AM
Just a fan

I get what he means with the Jupiter Ascending thing, in that film the villain wants to live forever. But in The Matrix no one wants to live forever, not the good guys, not the bad guys.. Sure, in both The Matrix and Sense8 the bad guys use hosts for their own purposes, that's certainly a theme. But that's been the case since season 1? This isn't something revealed in the finale to be criticized now.

The reveal is about the "why", and yeah, I recognize it's similar to a plot point from Jupiter Ascending (though the two villains do not shame much in characterization so it's hardly from lazy in my opinion). But not really from The Matrix.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
I don't see Whispers' link to the The Matrix.
It's just the 'feeding off / using humans to prolong life' idea. It's the core idea of the Matrix AND Jupiter Ascending. Same basic idea applies here. Anyhow, I have to watch the rest as this may work better when I've seen the whole thing. Perhaps Whispers gets more depth, I dunno... but presently he's a pretty lame bad guy.

Last edited by Ubik; 06-09-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: