JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Comics

Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Happy release day! JMS is back in the comic shop!

I did something I've *never* done before and ordered the phantom variant cover (cover F by Ryan Sook). It really reflects the story, IMO.

Hope y'all will post your thoughts, too!

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM

I liked this review. SPOILERS if you follow the link:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2013/05/0...ew-ten-grand-1

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Confirmed User

My take on #1

Ok, I read this a few days ago and I have been letting it digest before I say anything. Firstly, JMS comes through again. I am totally hooked as to where this is going. I admit I am not a fan of this type of story, but that didn't matter. Quality writing can take you in and I am in. I will say I am not particularly in love with the artwork, but that is just my taste. I think some of it is brilliant, but some panels just really didn't do it for me.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 AM

The first two C2E2 variants that hit Ebay sold for $86 and $78.

Did you listen to the audio drama, Looney? Anybody else?

Jan
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Confirmed User

Wow ! ! !

I am shocked they went that high. Maybe I should sell mine with all four signatures to help get me to Phoenix!?

I don't have a smartphone so I couldn't scan the QR code. I think there are ways to do it with a webcam, but I haven't investigated yet.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM

You're in luck. JMS just now posted the URL to the audio:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski

For those who bought Ten Grand #1 but don't have a QR scanner in your phone, you can use this address to hear the audio performance: http://studiojms.com/10grand/
Jan
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Confirmed User

Good golly ! ! ! ! !

That was awesome ! ! ! ! Who are those voices!?!? I think I recognized the names who have already been mentioned in this thread, but who are the others? And yes, I think I heard Pat's voice too. It was great! I love this idea.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM

The only voices we've been told are Robin Atkin Downes, Yuri Lowenthall and Tara Platt.

Great news - Issue #1 is going to a second printing. JMS quotes some of the reviews:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...if_t=notify_me

Press release at:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=45378

...and another of the triple-signed convention exclusives just sold today for $96.

Jan
Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 AM

JMS posted a link to a two-page (plus cover) preview of TEN GRAND #2:

http://buzzcomics.net/showpost.php?p...07&postcount=1

I love the 'warning':

Quote:
"ANGELS NEVER LIE"
FDA (Federal Demon Association) Advisory. Contents contain: one cult church where incantations are encoded into the playlist; one flesh-dwelling, food-obsessed demon; one seer capable of perceiving the spirit world but blinded to this one; one missing woman; one murder; one angel with an agenda of his own; and one rendezvous between supernatural investigator Joe Fitzgerald and the woman he loves, now deceased, in what may or may not be heaven. Warning: do not operate heavy equipment while reading.
Also, on Saturday at 3:00 PM JMS will do a signing at Phat Collectibles in Anaheim, CA:
http://www.phatcollectibles.com/

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 05-10-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 PM

JMS posted a preview of the Bill Sienkewicz variant for Issue #2:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...590720/photo/1

Very nice!

Jan
Old 06-01-2013, 04:30 PM

JMS just posted a link to the first six pages of issue #2, coming to comic shops this Wednesday:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/pr...pid=16740&pg=1

I'm really liking this. Plenty of wise-assery to keep it from getting too intense-which it easily could, even this early on.

Jan
Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Just finished issue #2. It made me laugh and it gave me chills. Can't wait to hear what others have to say about it.

I'm liking this book - a lot. Frankly, when I first saw it, I didn't care for Templesmith's art at all but it really works for this story.

There's a three-page preview of SIDEKICK, too. Which will have a con-exclusive debut at San Diego Comic-con.

Jan
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Confirmed User

Ok, sorry this took so long, but my new TV keeps forcing me to watch it. Ten Grand #2, I loved it. I am totally hooked by this story. Still think the artwork is hit and miss, although I must say when it hits I really like it. It just seems like some of the panels are phoned in. I canÆt wait for the next issue, but it is so far away.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Preview of issue #3. Joe meets Laura for the first time.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...39652459402959

I like her.

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 06-30-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Yeah...figures. I like a character and JMS drops an anvil on her. But I was warned - that cover's been giving me the creeps since the first time I saw it. It's a great issue, just a little hard on the characters.

One thing I hope gets covered soon is how Joe got hooked up with Mr. Antonio and became loyal to him.

Jan
ETA: Settling in to read again and stumbled on a really stupid edit/lettering error. What should obviously read: 'As he lay dying...' shows up as 'As he laying...'

Tags
ben templesmith, jms, joe's comics, ten grand 1 review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: