JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Comics

Old 09-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Seems so. Just found this on Twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
‏@straczynski 2h
Finally heard from Ben today, great email exchange, very positive, he feels it's a good change, and we discussed other projects in future.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski
‏@straczynski 2h
More than the work, what matters is that the relationship is intact because Ben is one of the nicest guys around. So all is good.
Glad to hear that he's okay.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Thanks Jan, that's great to hear. I'm glad the working relationship is intact and all is well with Ben!

Kosh: Good!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Far more than fans have a right to know but it was nice of Ben Templesmith to allow JMS to share:

Quote:
To finish off the Ben Templesmith discussion, I received this from him, which he said to go ahead and repost. "I've had an exceptionally shitty 6 weeks with family health issues and a catastrophic interstate move that isn't over yet. But those are just excuses for unprofessionalism of which I'm guilty. When the weight of many deadlines is on me and my schedule is thrown off by both work and personal factors I tend to withdraw and I need to fix that.

"I'm happy and sad at the same time to be off the book, it's a bit of a weight lifted stress wise and I need some real time off anyway. I'm just not built for monthlies. I'm just totally sorry I dropped the ball completely. It's better with another artist though. If there's any way you want to keep some continuity with a lesser commitment, free of charge covers or anything to keep some coherence as some sort of apology, I'll do it to the best of my ability.

"Otherwise, thanks for the opportunity, that I failed to rise to the occasion for. I need to figure out my motivational issues because none of this is about money to me."

So down the line, Ben will do some covers for Ten Grand (at his proper fee since no way am I letting him do them for free), and once he's on the other side of his current situation we look forward to working with him on other projects. If he's not ready for monthlies we can always find a GN to do together. Meanwhile, we've told him that we will do whatever we can to be of assistance to him as he moves forward.

And that, as they say, is the end of that.

One aside, however, to the trolls out there who have been sniping in the shadows about our decision to explain what was going on with Ten Grand.

Joe's Comics is a new company, and we will be judged as an entity based on whether or not we are behaving in an arbitrary or capricious manner. Given the terrific critical reception to Ten Grand, if we simply said, without comment, "Ben's not on the book anymore," not only would it have created that very perception, it would have opened the door for those very same trolls to gleefully fill the void with rumors about conflict or dissension or ego or christknowswhat...and soon we'd be having to fight the fires they started with bullshit stories. In this nascent stage in our development as a company, the only thing worse than giving an explanation would be NOT giving an explanation.

And even with an explanation given, which may have taken some of the fun out of it for them, the trolls were saying "well, we've only heard ONE side of the story," suggesting that I was lying or that there was some dark truth yet to emerge.

No. As noted above, and in Ben's emails to others, the situation was exactly as described, to the smallest detail. Which is why I've always adopted a philosophy of full disclosure. Lies always come back to haunt you; the truth (almost) never does.

The trolls set aside -- as they should be since they are, in the long run, irrelevant -- I want to close by noting how pleased I've been with the fan response to this discussion. No one has been negative toward Ben, and everyone has been supportive and appreciative of his work, as should properly be the case, as it is with us here. If anything, some of the responses, publicly and privately, have sent a message to Ben that he has friends and support he may not have known he has...and that can only be a good thing as he moves forward.

He is a great guy, a phenomenal artist, and we look forward to meeting up with him again down the road a piece.
ETA: Looks like #5 will be the first Smith issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
We started pushing deadlines with five, so CP will dive in to handle that one. Once back on line, we anticipate no delays.
Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Last edited by Jan; 09-06-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Vorlon Visitor

This is so great. JMS has been so very transparent and open about it. He's a stand up guy. Haters be damned.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Confirmed User

Any updates on a #5 release date? I checked the Studio JMS Website and Facebook with no success.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:09 PM

Assuming CP Smith dove right in to work on the first of the month, I'd assume that late October would be the *very* earliest we'd see it. If JMS wants to stick to first week release dates (and I'm in favor of that), probably the fist part of November. Don't know if the book will have to go to a separate inker and/or colorer either so it could be even later. JMS had mentioned that Templesmith did all his own inking and coloring but I'm pretty sure that's far from the norm.

Jan
Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Confirmed User

Interview on CBR:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=47932
Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 AM

Thanks, Dan. That's a nice interview.

JMS posted a sneak peek at a page of art by CP Smith. It's really different from what we'd gotten used to, but I think it'll work.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Jan
Old 11-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Here's a four-page preview:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9402959&type=1

Jan
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Confirmed User

I see the next Ten Grand issue is on the list for Wednesday. I don't see Sidekick anywhere though?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Anybody read the latest issue yet? What do you think of the new art?

I'll admit to being torn. I really like CP Smith's scenery and backgrounds a lot and the colors worked for me, too. But by the end of the issue I was seriously disliking Joe Fitzgerald's face. There's no character, no feeling there at all. No lines on his face, no expressions except grimaces and kind of a blank look. I got more of a sense of feeling from Charon the skeleton than I did from Joe. There weren't many people in this issue so I can't tell yet if this is simply the way this artist draws people. But I'm so used to artists JMS chooses being able to depict a wide range and especially subtle emotions that this is a bit of a shock.

Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it yet. Thoughts?

Jan
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Anybody read the latest issue yet? What do you think of the new art?

I'll admit to being torn. I really like CP Smith's scenery and backgrounds a lot and the colors worked for me, too. But by the end of the issue I was seriously disliking Joe Fitzgerald's face. There's no character, no feeling there at all. No lines on his face, no expressions except grimaces and kind of a blank look. I got more of a sense of feeling from Charon the skeleton than I did from Joe. There weren't many people in this issue so I can't tell yet if this is simply the way this artist draws people. But I'm so used to artists JMS chooses being able to depict a wide range and especially subtle emotions that this is a bit of a shock.

Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it yet. Thoughts?

Jan
I haven’t read the issue, but go have a look at some of C P Smith’s other work. He’s definitely capable of a wide range of styles, and emotion in his characters. Something tells me this may be an intentional stylistic choice, perhaps just for this issue (what with Joe crossing into hell).

Templesmith’s art is so distinct, it’s always going to be a bit of hard act to follow. Smith has done some really nice work though, so if you’re not totally sold, I expect it’ll improve going forward.

Last edited by Ubik; 11-08-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Forum cutting off posts...
Old 12-18-2013, 03:44 AM

Advance review of Ten Grand #6 (mild spoilers):
http://www.tmstash.com/advance-review-ten-grand-6/

Loving this cover. Interesting to note who's wearing the 'halo'.

Jan
Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Confirmed User

Just started reading the series today. I'm up to issue #5 and just read on page 11 "I will not go down easy and I will not go down alone." JMS quoting another of his characters there.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Confirmed User

Just blown away by the first 6 issues.

One question - Jehoel whom Joe frees in issue 6 looks like the angel at the end of issue 2 who is making Brother James do all these terrible things to Joe. Do you think he is?

Last edited by nottenst; 01-11-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Tags
ben templesmith, jms, joe's comics, ten grand 1 review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: