JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Comics

Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM

And a variant of SIDEKICK #1:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...if_t=notify_me

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 AM

Thanks to a fellow fan, I've got a copy of the Image Expo Sidekick #1. I'm going to put my remarks in spoiler protection since it's still a long way before the official street date for the issue and almost a week before the SDCC issue will be on sale.

Like 'Ten Grand', this issue covers a lot of ground for a first issue and there's a lot of back-and-forth between what's going on in the present and what happened in the past. While there's no confusing the two, there's also no indication that I noticed that lets us in on how much time has passed between what he remembers and what he's living.

The book opens up with a heroic moment when the Red Cowl and Flyboy have defeated the Bad Guy but his Dastardly Machine is going to go off anyway. Flyboy risks his life to take the device into the upper atmosphere where it can go off without endangering others. For a moment, the Red Cowl thinks Flyboy's dead but he comes back to great acclaim. It was a great day for him. And it both tells us that Flyboy is brave and can actually *be* a real hero. Which makes what's going to happen to him pretty tragic.

As I've posted above, I've got my doubts about this title being to my taste. Already in Issue #1, we see Barry debased from an acclaimed hero to a has-been who's mocked by the public, shakes down hookers and manufactures crimes in what seems to be no time flat. It's apparent that survivor's guilt is going to play a big part in the story.

Knowing JMS' work, I'm sure that any questions I have will be made clear and I'll admit to liking the fact that we do learn so much about Barry/Flyboy *and* the Red Cowl.

Naturally, I listened to the audio drama of the issue, too. As with 'Ten Grand', it's really well done. No need to even look at the book while listening, though some details come clearer if you do. Only quibble is that the opening crisis needed a little bit more of a sense of urgency in the voice acting. Otherwise I enjoyed the experience a lot.

I'll be interested to see what others think and I especially hope to hear from folks who really love it.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 07-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post

Naturally, I listened to the audio drama of the issue, too. As with 'Ten Grand', it's really well done. No need to even look at the book while listening, though some details come clearer if you do. Only quibble is that the opening crisis needed a little bit more of a sense of urgency in the voice acting. Otherwise I enjoyed the experience a lot.[/SPOILER]

I'll be interested to see what others think and I especially hope to hear from folks who really love it.

Jan
Do you know if there will there be a normal web based link to the audio drama (as with Ten Grand)?

Kosh: Good!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
Do you know if there will there be a normal web based link to the audio drama (as with Ten Grand)?
I'd be very surprised if there wasn't one. JMS posted it a few days after Ten Grand came out, so hopefully he'll do the same again. I was glad he did since listening to it on my phone wasn't ideal for me.

Jan
Old 08-03-2013, 06:22 PM

JMS posted a link to the first Sidekick review:

http://www.brutalashell.com/2013/08/...ew-sidekick-1/

ETA: And a variant cover by Charlie Adlard:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...9402959&type=1

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 08-04-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Another nice review:

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/sidekick-1/

Jan
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Confirmed User

Sidekick review - many spoilers

Enjoy gang: http://robpatey.com/2013/08/06/sidek...w-joes-comics/
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the review link, Optimous Douche. It's great to see these early reviews. I've gone ahead and merged your thread with this one since we've already got a few links to reviews here.

Jan
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Confirmed User

Perfect - thanks Jan. First day with the new brain.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Optimous, what did you think of the audio drama? I enjoyed it, but felt there was a lack of urgency in the voices to the initial crisis - kind of stilted, in fact. Your thoughts?

Jan
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Confirmed User

Joe sends me PDF's, so until I get the actual book I wont's know :-(
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Ah. I thought there might be the comic equivalent of Advance Reader (reviewer) Copies. I 'cheated' and latched on to a copy from the Image Expo.

Jan
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Confirmed User

Not cheating at all. DC PR is on the ball, I get advances from them every week. Dark Horse is good as well. Everyone else...not so much.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Both Sidekick #1 and Colleen Doran's remastered A Distant Soil Vol. 1 are on the New York Post Hot Picks list this week:
http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamerepo...aUF532UeOfCJXP

Colleen's been announced to be working on "The Book of Lost Souls" when JMS revives it next year.

Jan
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM

I posted to ask JMS about the URL for the audio drama. Somebody else posted it, saying they'd found it accidentally:

http://studiojms.com/sidekick-audio-one/

Jan

Tags
joe's comics, sidekick 1 review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: