JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Comics

Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 PM

New Newsarama interview with JMS about 'Sidekick':

http://www.newsarama.com/18732-jms-e...-sidekick.html

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 08-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Confirmed User

My take on #1

I was immediately engaged by this story. I found it to be extremely predictable, but I still really enjoyed it. I really like the artwork except for the cover. I have only one problem. I read the "JoeÆs Counter" epilogue.

From all of the posts everyone has been putting up I knew Sidekick was going to be a dark story. After reading the epilogue I am not so sure there is light waiting at the end of this tunnel. It sounds like JMS is just getting revenge. I donÆt know if I want to read a depressing story no matter how good it is. I am going to keep reading and hope that it isnÆt week after week of running this character into the ground with no light at the end of the tunnel. What is terrible is that I know in advance it is going to be a lot of running this character into the ground. It is also terrible that I know there are only two predictable outcomes, redemption or not. Okay, I am not going to go down the dynamics of storytelling road right now.

And I can't wait to listen to that audio drama. Thanks for posting that link Jan.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM

I asked for reassurance about Sidekick at the Joe's Comics panel in SDCC and he didn't give me any. I'm going to continue reading but I already know that I'm probably going to be much more critical about this title than I might usually be. For instance, with the opening flashback to Barry's moment of glory, I was rolling my eyes at the blatant emotional manipulation. Of course we had to start out that way so we'd be inclined to like Flyboy. Ordinarily I simply trust that whatever emotional manipulation JMS puts us through is necessary to the story but in this case, I'm going to need to be shown.

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM

Preview pages for SIDEKICK #2

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=18022

Okay...so I'm liking it so far...

Jan
Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Confirmed User

SideKick #2

I really like the artwork in this book. I like how it is used page to page. There were some really eye catching transitions in this issue. And I feel like there was a glimmer of hope for a bright outcome.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 PM

Production editor Phil Smith tweeted:

Quote:
Philip W. Smith II‏@Warp_Phil
#FF SIDEKICK issue #3 at the printer!]
https://twitter.com/Warp_Phil/status...865857/photo/1

Jan

Last edited by Jan; 09-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 PM

From Phil Smith's Facebook page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
For fans; In Stores on October 9th is SIDEKICK #3 by J. Michael Straczynski Tom Mandrake, HiFi colors and Troy Peteri Here is a look at the cover. There will be copies at New York Comic Con and a signing. Check the Fans of J. Michael Straczynski page for details. When reading the script I actually thought "OK, what level of violence is he going to take this scene to" I turned the page and, well, it goes...pretty far. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did putting it together!
Looks like things are ratcheting up...

Jan
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 PM

JMS posted the same cover Phil Smith did with some added detail about the issue (spoilers):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9402959&type=1

Jan
Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 AM

A nice page from Sidekick #3 where Barry makes a big change (spoilers):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Jan
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM

First of two pages from Sidekick #3 coming this week:

https://www.facebook.com/13965245940...type=1&theater

And the second...
https://www.facebook.com/13965245940...type=1&theater

Jan
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Confirmed User

Can't wait. I am actually going to be able to pick mine up tomorrow instead of having to wait.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 AM

Six page preview of today's issue here:

http://www.comicosity.com/preview-sidekick-3/

Jan
Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 AM

A small hint of things to come from Twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMichael Straczynski ‏@Straczynski
@_____ Thanks. There's a secret agenda behind Sidekick that I haven't discussed, and can't yet, but stick around, it gets weirder.
Jan
Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Confirmed User

Sweet!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM

Sidekick #4 comes out tomorrow and JMS posted a link to some preview pages. Looks like this issue's title is, "You Suck".

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=19195

Needless to say, spoilers if you follow the link.

Jan

Tags
joe's comics, sidekick 1 review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: