JMSNews Community Site

Go Back   JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

Old 02-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Ubik and Looney declaring it a problem property due to the date change and now this. Maybe if people would actually make judgments based on facts and experience??
Date changes always mean it didn't test well or someone sees problems and wants changes because they don't think it is going to make money. And as has already been stated, historically February is not a good month for a release - just look at the box office for this past weekend. Project Almanac, a trailer that has been shoved down my throat everywhere I have turned for what seems the past year, flopped big time. As to why Jupiter was pushed back my guess is that someone really didn't like how Channing Tatum looks in the film because it is definitely not an particularly attractive look for him. But who knows how these people think.

Personally I am super excited and so are two of my friends. This is huge news for me because these two friends are not usually big fans of SciFi. We've already made plans to see it.

The big problem I feel they face is the release of Seventh Son and Sponge Bob as well as the Winter weather. Really wish those other two movies were not opening at the same time. Really shocked Sponge Bob didn't aim for a summer release.

I guess the real point is that WE all have something exciting to see next weekend, so we should just be happy about it.

Last edited by Looney; 02-01-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Just a fan

Warner pointed out the big success of The Lego Movie last year's February to calm those saying "oh they have no faith in this".

This movie had (has) no buzz, let alone the fact some of the buzz was (is) negative, which is the reason it got delayed to a month with little competition.

It needs a miracle to become commercially successful because so many people haven't even heard of it, despite the expensive TV ad campaign. It's shocking how little buzz there is for it.

As for how it will do critically, I think we can expect a RT score between 60-75, which isn't bad, given its unconventional nature of being a space opera which could pass as a spiritual sequel to The Fifth Element.

Here is the second review I managed to find: http://www.ecranlarge.com/films/8646...vers/critiques

Translated for the french:

Quote:
With a space management and a universe that give the film a virtuoso who avenges us countless blockbuster products to the chain with sovereign contempt of a public envisioned as a goose flock to stuff, Jupiter Ascending carries the big show at a stratospheric level, an ambition that we had perhaps not seen since ... 1977.
4.5/5

And a tweet:

Quote:
@MuseZack @DavidPoland I liked JUPITER ASCENDING. DUNE meets THE FIFTH ELEMENT via HEAVY METAL with some HEDWIG thrown in for kicks..
Today is the red carpet premiere and the lift of the embargo for the reviews. Expect a barrage of reviews and some truly negative ones. You just have to look to Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas to know what I mean.

Last edited by sense8ional; 02-02-2015 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Confirmed User

http://www.thewrap.com/jupiter-ascen...hanning-tatum/
Jupiter Ascending Review: The Wachowskis Craft a Sci-Fi Saga That’s Breathlessly Exciting But Utterly Ridiculous
The Wrap
By Alonso Duralde on February 2, 2015 @ 9:00 pm
Quote:
Mila Kunis is a toilet-scrubbing Queen of Outer Space and Channing Tatum her part-pooch paramour in a silly adventure that’s fun from start to finish
. . .
Ultimately, this all boils down to two questions: 1) Is “Jupiter Ascending” completely bananas? Absolutely. 2) Will you have fun watching it? As long as you’re OK with the answer to the first question, I don’t see why not.

Last edited by Dan Dassow; 02-02-2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: post munched
Old 02-03-2015, 04:05 AM
Just a fan

It's going to be a very polarizing film like Cloud Atlas. It's already evident in the reviews.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:34 PM
Just a fan

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jupiter_ascending_2014/

It's the lowest rated movie of the Ws. I'm still going to see this weekend and hope I end up in the liked it club!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Vorlon Visitor

A local cinema did a free preview screening for their 'slackers club', which is basically a members group for students, they get discounts, etc. There was a feedback thread afterwards and 90% of it was negative. Most loved the visuals and craziness of it, but they also hated the reportedly very low quality of plotting, dialogue and acting.

Lots of comparisons to The Fifth Element abound too, which can’t bad thing. CHICKEN! MULTIPASS!

I’m still on the fence, the only Wachowski film I’ve liked since The Matrix (and that’s only counting the first one) was Cloud Atlas, and even that had its issues. Not sure I’m ready to pay money to see this if I’m totally honest.

Kosh: Good!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Confirmed User

Well I am off to see this on Monday, I wil post a (suitably spoiler tagged) review when I get back.

Ubik, you mention "students" "feedback 90% negative" but you don't seem to have see the movie yourself yet, why rely on the opinions of others? Surely the point of such a unique vision as that provided by the Wachowsi's is that one must experince it directly?

Phaze
on the "Up at 8 AM on a saturday as nice Russian friend asked me to come fix her router, Pie has been offered" ID
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 02-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Vorlon Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazedout View Post
Ubik, you mention "students" "feedback 90% negative" but you don't seem to have see the movie yourself yet, why rely on the opinions of others? Surely the point of such a unique vision as that provided by the Wachowsi's is that one must experince it directly?
More just reporting back what the general feel of an 'average' audience has been, people who weren't necessarily invested in SF, etc.

Sadly, I don't find the Wachowski's vision particularly unique, they borrow a lot from others and 'we're sooo kooky' doesn't make up for thin plotting.

I will see it, but perhaps not at the cinema.

Last edited by Ubik; 02-09-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Now here's a review I can relate to. Peter David doesn't go see films to compare them to anything else, he judges them on whether they're, y'know, entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter David
Go in there with the right mindset and it’s a perfectly entertaining way to kill a couple of hours while we’re all waiting for the next “Star Wars” movie so we can tear that apart.
http://www.peterdavid.net/2015/02/08...ter-ascending/

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Just a fan

I saw it and it's indeed weak but not a disaster. 6/10.

Full of ideas but it moves so quickly to the next setting that you are not given time to absorb them..

I like all their other movies quite a lot so this doesn't change my opinion about them one bit.

I also loved Redmayne in this, I found he gave the best performance of all actors, he turned it into 11 exactly as his character demands. I don't understand why people think he was bad, he played the character perfectly.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Confirmed User

Well I've seen it. Hmmm . . . There is a whole lot I REALLY loved and some I didn't like so much. The best thing I can say is that visually I was blown away. I am so upset because a friend I was seeing it with made it so we could not go to a 3D screening and then he didn't show up. I definitely will see this again in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense8ional View Post
I saw it and it's indeed weak but not a disaster. 6/10.

Full of ideas but it moves so quickly to the next setting that you are not given time to absorb them..

I like all their other movies quite a lot so this doesn't change my opinion about them one bit.

I also loved Redmayne in this, I found he gave the best performance of all actors, he turned it into 11 exactly as his character demands. I don't understand why people think he was bad, he played the character perfectly.
I agree with all of these points, except I would say 7/10 because some of those visuals are so absolutely stunning. And for me the choice to have Redmayne speak the way he spoke was a mistake. It was too much of a cliche to say, "I am the villain and I have villainous annunciation." I think it greatly detracted from the performance. It is also an example of what I see as attempting to mash two movies together; popcorn shallow science fiction fairytale vs. complex detailed cautionary epic. And the worst feeling I have about this movie is . . .

. . that the main plot is basically The Matrix. Replace Neo with the Heir and power supply with harvesting people for immortality. And the weirdest part of the story is that they never deal with the fact that the Universe kills billions of people like livestock. I mean they don't really establish that anyone has a problem with harvesting so long as the proper paper work is filled out. And it only matters that Jupiter saved Earth from being harvested?!

But like sense8ional already pointed out, things weren't given enough time to develop. But WOW! what eye-candy!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Confirmed User

Saw it today with a movie critic friend (She wasn't waatching it profesionally, a differrent reporter had already written it up.

First and foremost, visually stuning, if I pick this puppy up it will have to be on blu ray, DVD won't do it justice. Woah, just Woah. I am an ocassional fan of steampunk, I love BIG industrial looking things. I have always felt if we do space on a large scale, it will look like that, lots of pipewor, bits sticking out (becuase who needs aerodynamic lacking air) and Jupitar nailed this one for me. Yes the dialogue is clunky at times (painfully so) but hey, I liked Cloud atlas and at least Jupitar has a coherent narrative.

Jupiter ascending gets 4 stars out of five on the phaze sci fi silly scale
"There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "
Old 02-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Vorlon Visitor

The reviews so far are so bad that it's making me really want to see it. I expect a very beautiful train wreck.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Here's a spoilerific review that I liked a lot. Still hoping to go see it this weekend.

http://www.imakeupworlds.com/index.p...as-womanspace/

Jan
"Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017
Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Confirmed User

Yep. I can agree with much of what was said in that review. Especially what was said about the ending.

She is getting her head together before she makes her next move because every decision she had to make during the movie had to be rushed. Now she can take her time and make sure she is making the correct choices for her and her family.

It amazes me that people don't get that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: